Saturday morning scrimmage notes

Harry

UNTs defense had its best outing of the spring in the Mean Greens second full scrimmage of spring practice.

Chad Polk continued to cement his status as a starter at defensive end, posting a pair of sacks, including one in which he also forced a fumble.

Several other players posted big plays defensively, including:

Defensive tackle Dutton Watson came though the middle and posted a sack

Safety Marcus Trice came up in run support and cut down Reggie Pegram in the backfield on third-and-2.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/saturday-morning-scrimmage-notes.html/

You know its UNT when:

Brock Berglund is still working with the third team and going through the transition of playing at the college level.

We rarely have good luck, do we? The hamstring injury sure isn't helping his situation.

With better depth across the board, we could be 1 or 2 games better than last year regardless of QB starter (depends on level of CUSA play). I was just kind of hoping BB could take us into that 9 - 10 win range.

Obviously, wishful thinking, but I can be a fanatic every now and then.

There's a new video on meangreensports that shows both Polk's sack/forced fumble and Wallace's tackle for loss towards the end. Mac said both Dutton Watson and Wallace got their stripes off their helmets today. I am extremely encouraged with the young DE's and CB's on this team, if Wallace can continue to shows signs of progress, I'll feel even better about the defense moving forward.

• Upvote 1

There's a new video on meangreensports that shows both Polk's sack/forced fumble and Wallace's tackle for loss towards the end. Mac said both Dutton Watson and Wallace got their stripes off their helmets today. I am extremely encouraged with the young DE's and CB's on this team, if Wallace can continue to shows signs of progress, I'll feel even better about the defense moving forward.

Wallace's stock seems to be rising. If Watson and Orr can be solid we may be ok!

Just do not understand why anyone thinks DT will just cede the starting job to anyone! DT looks really good right now...moving better after losing the weight and is doing a good job with his receivers who seem to be running better routes as well.

Until someone actually outplays DT ( which isn't happening right now) this is DT's team. Just having the hype is not good enough. We'll see how this plays out, but don't be surprised if DT retains the starting role. I certainly will not be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Practicing against yourself really doesn't prove anything to the untrained eye.

And we are all untrained.

Seems that's the sort of play that BB has had for a few years now. DT, however, has had actual D1 game day experience. That does mean something.

I, for one, like the fact that UNT should be going into the season with three capable QB's.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just do not understand why anyone thinks DT will just cede the starting job to anyone! DT looks really good right now...moving better after losing the weight and is doing a good job with his receivers who seem to be running better routes as well.

Until someone actually outplays DT ( which isn't happening right now) this is DT's team. Just having the hype is not good enough. We'll see how this plays out, but don't be surprised if DT retains the starting role. I certainly will not be.

I won't be surprised.

I won't be happy either.

• Upvote 5

Seems that's the sort of play that BB has had for a few years now. DT, however, has had actual D1 game day experience. That does mean something.

I, for one, like the fact that UNT should be going into the season with three capable QB's.

I mean this in all seriousness. Capable of what?

Is the bar so low around here we don't even know what good quarterbacking is anymore?

DT was sixth in passing yards, not in the top 10 in efficiency and had 14 TDs and 14 Ints in the Sun Belt.

That's our starter. And we have three capable QBs?

• Upvote 7

I mean this in all seriousness. Capable of what?

Is the bar so low around here we don't even know what good quarterbacking is anymore?

DT was sixth in passing yards, not in the top 10 in efficiency and had 14 TDs and 14 Ints in the Sun Belt.

That's our starter. And we have three capable QBs?

I agree with your concern, but in fairness to Thompson, he really didn't have many weapons to work with last year. I think we will have about three or four significant new skill position players who will help any of our QBs look at least a little better.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Practicing against yourself really doesn't prove anything to the untrained eye.

And we are all untrained.

Interesting admission or does this only apply to football?

All of our QB's have potential. DT has played very well in some games and not so good in others. McNulty got the RS year he deserved, works hard and is athletic. BB was highly rated coming out of HS but has been inactive for a couple of years. So, they all have the potential or a capable. Plus, who knows what Williams will bring to the table once he gets here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Interesting admission or does this only apply to football?

All of our QB's have potential. DT has played very well in some games and not so good in others. McNulty got the RS year he deserved, works hard and is athletic. BB was highly rated coming out of HS but has been inactive for a couple of years. So, they all have the potential or a capable. Plus, who knows what Williams will bring to the table once he gets here.

Should we ask him to bring a bag of ice?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why is Berglund getting used to the college game? He has practiced at Kansas, JC and UNT. That is plenty of college experience. It is not like he just graduated early, skipped his prom and reported for spring practice. We are in big trouble if this kid is not what we need him to be. Where is the kid who was allegedly wowing on the scout team all fall? For us to get to a bowl our QB play needs to be MUCH better than what DT has accomplished.

• Upvote 3

Why is Berglund getting used to the college game? He has practiced at Kansas, JC and UNT. That is plenty of college experience. It is not like he just graduated early, skipped his prom and reported for spring practice. We are in big trouble if this kid is not what we need him to be. Where is the kid who was allegedly wowing on the scout team all fall? For us to get to a bowl our QB play needs to be MUCH better than what DT has accomplished.

Well, if a big part of what is much better is his running ability, a hamstring injury is no small problem.

• Upvote 2

Don't you mean 1 capable and 2 just about complete unknowns.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sometimes it is that senior year when a QB just puts it all together and few of us would have any problems with DT doing just that.

If BB turns out to be a bust (and I don't think he will after he gets his land legs & a bit of confidence) but if we had another national talent not make a difference I would have to defer back to the "snake bit" theory concerning our athletic program. We all have to admit that this basketball thing has us all a bit shell-shocked.

Hell, at some point those who come to North Texas with some degree of pedigree will have to come through eventually; in fact, can we ever count on the law of averages being an ally with our school at all?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1