Full Story on Jimmerson / Warner

Harry

Age has something to do with it as well. There's a difference between a kid in college and someone already out of school working.

And I'm pretty sure Josh Brent is facing a lot of time behind bars.

Plus loss of a pretty good income and living a lifetime remembering that you killed your best friend. He's paying dearly.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MeanMag" data-cid="695709" data-time="1355581094"><p>

Have to agree with you here.<br />

<br />

There are plenty of students who are trying to get by in college, but when you are a piece to a puzzle at a university that brings in so much attention and money, a bone can be thrown IMO.<br />

<br />

On a more positive note: If people follow Brock Berglund on twitter, he is giving a toy to a child in need for xmas for every new follower.</p></blockquote>

That's cool and generous by the berglund!

See Casey Fitzgerald and Whataburger. He was a successful college football athlete that held down a job by choice.
Wonder if he got free hamburgers as a perk for working there? I miss Whataburger !

I do not miss Jack n the Box however.

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™

See Casey Fitzgerald and Whataburger. He was a successful college football athlete that held down a job by choice.

Admittedly, my memory is fuzzy on this but I was of the opinion that he worked at Whataburger before he received his scholarship. That would have made it more a necessity than choice.

• Upvote 1

Fitzgerald continued to work at Whataburger even after he earned his scholly. A poster made the statement that the athletes had no time for a part time job. I'm just giving an example to dispute that. Not saying it's easy.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205160117

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

First offense? Then a slap on the hand and community service hours to be served and they suit up for Spring football. I hope this is the scenario anyhow.

This.

Kicking them off the team for this would be ludicrous. What lesson would be served by that? Yes, they messed up and let the judicial system play its course. But give them a second chance to make it right in the class room and on the field.

• Upvote 2

This is a terrible story and incident that will impact these guys for the rest of their lives. Some of us make bad decisions....some of us are just bad...some come from a bad situation. I do not know where these boys fall, and I hope the get what is coming to them. But I have a thought that is very compelling. A few years ago the NCAA denied "walking around" money for student athletes...Believe they were talking about 2000.00 per year. There are several arguments on this issue...1st, they are getting their education free vs. other students that are paying for theirs. 2nd, if the family does not have the means to give their student / athlete an allowance, what is the student / athlete do for money? During the season, I know they are very busy and have a schedule that I would be hard pressed to keep up with when you factor in practice, film, tutoring, classes. These boys have no time for a part time job when other students do. Personally, I am in favor of this "walking around" money and it is not because of my perspective. Think of the money wasted buying out coaches contracts, paying exit fees to a conference that you no longer want to be in....NCAA has money, are they allocating it properly???

1. what did their family do for their runnin' 'round money when they were not in college?

2. the vast majority of college athletics programs operate at a huge deficit so other students are already paying for athletes education

3. the vast majority of college football programs alone operate at a deficit so players are getting their education subsidized by others.....mostly by the tuition of other students that are trying to get an education and may be paying for some or all of it by working

4. if you pay football players you will have to pay all athletes and if you do that you can watch all sports besides football and the number of womens sports besides football go away

5. tax payers should not have to pay taxes to support football players if anyone wants to say that it is taxes not tuition that covers the runnin' money for athletes and in many states taxes can't go to athletics so it will be tuition from other students

6. the vast majority of college football players and many in other sports would not be able to sniff college if it was not for getting in because they were an athlete......if you want to now pay them fun money how about lets hold them accountable for meeting the academic requirements that any other student meets to get into that university.....or even better lets hold them to the level of requirements that students on academic scholarships have to achieve to get that money

7. if runnin' money is so important they are more than welcome to drop sports, get a job, and then live the good life.....oh wait it would be near impossible for many of them to even get into college without football, near impossible for many of them to get and keep a job, absolutely impossible for many of them to get and keep a job while making the grades to stay in college especially without all the academic support they get for being an athlete that most other students do not get for free and it would be 100% impossible for many of them to work stay in school and make enough to pay for work and school living and still have runnin' money

8. athletes get free housing that most academic scholarships do not, free food that academic scholarships do not, athletes can get a housing allowance if they do not want to live in a dorm.....never heard of that for an academic scholarship and as stated before athletes get academic support on a level that no other student gets.....if they want to give all that up and go get a job so they can have fun money and have it "easy" they need to make that CHOICE

no one forces the vast majority of athletes to blow off high school, not have the grades to get into most decent schools with out athletics, and to not have the ability to earn an academic scholarship instead of an athletic one so they could then get all that free money and still have time to go work a job for huge new fun money and no one forced their families to have kids they could not afford to save money for college for if they were so worried about fun money

plenty of kids that can't tote the rock and come from poor families still go to college and do without huge fun money.....why should they pay MORE for those that got ACADEMIC opportunity based in ATHLETIC ability especially when it is clear so many of those athletic types do not take their opportunity seriously

even more kids that are not "ballas" and come from poor families do not ever get to college and just work and do not have huge fun runnin' handed to them......how about we toss them a bone too eh

playing athletics is a CHOICE and for many it would be their ONLY choice to get into college.....if they are not happy with the multitude of benefits they get for that over and above ordinary students, academic standouts, and everyone else in society then they should step down from playing football and get on easy street filled with fun money and jobs that cover college tuition, living, and still leave you plenty of fun money and you don't have to worry about your name in the paper when you are stealing as well.....oh wait those jobs don't exist especially for people that probably should not even be in college anyway.....and even when you are getting hundreds if not thousands of dollars in shorts, shoes, shirts, and the like for "training" you still have to steal as well

but yea lets pretend athletes have it rough and need some fun money at the expense of students that actually pay their own way for none of the freebies and pay the way of many athletes as well because college athletics is a money loser at the VAST number of schools with athletics programs

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Some guys in this world don't grow up in sweet loving households packed with money, so some consideration should be on the table here IMO. On the other hand, I can't stand thieves myself, but we are talking about some young guys here.I wasn't always an angel myself as a`teenager, and I'd hate to think about how stifled my outlook on life would be today if I had been one. Sometimes people just need to learn from their F'ups.Hope these two learn, because they both have been given a great opportunity to do something positive with their lives at NT.

So tired of this lame excuse for illegal behavior. These two players knew what they were doing was against the aw and Wrong.....loving households or not. Apologist thinking at it worst...this is the type of thinking that allows this crap to go on.....ridiculous. And, this really is a kick in the teeth to all those who grew up in such households but were fully aware of right and wrong and chose right.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

1. what did their family do for their runnin' 'round money when they were not in college?

2. the vast majority of college athletics programs operate at a huge deficit so other students are already paying for athletes education

3. the vast majority of college football programs alone operate at a deficit so players are getting their education subsidized by others.....mostly by the tuition of other students that are trying to get an education and may be paying for some or all of it by working

4. if you pay football players you will have to pay all athletes and if you do that you can watch all sports besides football and the number of womens sports besides football go away

5. tax payers should not have to pay taxes to support football players if anyone wants to say that it is taxes not tuition that covers the runnin' money for athletes and in many states taxes can't go to athletics so it will be tuition from other students

6. the vast majority of college football players and many in other sports would not be able to sniff college if it was not for getting in because they were an athlete......if you want to now pay them fun money how about lets hold them accountable for meeting the academic requirements that any other student meets to get into that university.....or even better lets hold them to the level of requirements that students on academic scholarships have to achieve to get that money

7. if runnin' money is so important they are more than welcome to drop sports, get a job, and then live the good life.....oh wait it would be near impossible for many of them to even get into college without football, near impossible for many of them to get and keep a job, absolutely impossible for many of them to get and keep a job while making the grades to stay in college especially without all the academic support they get for being an athlete that most other students do not get for free and it would be 100% impossible for many of them to work stay in school and make enough to pay for work and school living and still have runnin' money

8. athletes get free housing that most academic scholarships do not, free food that academic scholarships do not, athletes can get a housing allowance if they do not want to live in a dorm.....never heard of that for an academic scholarship and as stated before athletes get academic support on a level that no other student gets.....if they want to give all that up and go get a job so they can have fun money and have it "easy" they need to make that CHOICE

no one forces the vast majority of athletes to blow off high school, not have the grades to get into most decent schools with out athletics, and to not have the ability to earn an academic scholarship instead of an athletic one so they could then get all that free money and still have time to go work a job for huge new fun money and no one forced their families to have kids they could not afford to save money for college for if they were so worried about fun money

plenty of kids that can't tote the rock and come from poor families still go to college and do without huge fun money.....why should they pay MORE for those that got ACADEMIC opportunity based in ATHLETIC ability especially when it is clear so many of those athletic types do not take their opportunity seriously

even more kids that are not "ballas" and come from poor families do not ever get to college and just work and do not have huge fun runnin' handed to them......how about we toss them a bone too eh

playing athletics is a CHOICE and for many it would be their ONLY choice to get into college.....if they are not happy with the multitude of benefits they get for that over and above ordinary students, academic standouts, and everyone else in society then they should step down from playing football and get on easy street filled with fun money and jobs that cover college tuition, living, and still leave you plenty of fun money and you don't have to worry about your name in the paper when you are stealing as well.....oh wait those jobs don't exist especially for people that probably should not even be in college anyway.....and even when you are getting hundreds if not thousands of dollars in shorts, shoes, shirts, and the like for "training" you still have to steal as well

but yea lets pretend athletes have it rough and need some fun money at the expense of students that actually pay their own way for none of the freebies and pay the way of many athletes as well because college athletics is a money loser at the VAST number of schools with athletics programs

You know that was a very intelligent and well thought out response. You are obviously a very knowledgeable person and sometimes I wish I knew who or what caused you to dislike North Texas so very much. If only you could move away from your hatred of everything UNT you would likely be one of our most informative posters. It's sort of like my teachers used to tell me, "if only you could live up to your potential.."

The thing that I know about thieves is that they are thieves. Very few ever truly stop being thieves. Unfortunately these two happen to play football at the University of North Texas. Just because 2 out of approx. 125 kids in the football program did this does not mean that our program is bad, or that we are recruiting bad kids, or no one has control of said kids. There are still approx. 123 other kids in the football program that did not get arrested that day for stealing clothing at the golden triangle mall, and hundreds and hundreds more athletes that play golf, tennis, basketball, softball, run track etc. that did not get caught stealing at the golden triangle mall. To me this is not even newsworthy. Just two dumb college kids that got caught stealing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

While I agree with some of your prose. College football players are not getting a free ride, I see this tossed around all the time by people who for the most part do not have any idea of what it takes to play major college football. There is little comparison between a football and academic ship. There are few college football players that play because of the monetary worth of a scholarship, without a love of the game it is not worth it.

There are few college athletes that want for the basics. Athletic ships don't cover everything but the most needy also usually have Pell grants and other supplements above the scholarship; so I don't buy the poor athlete defense for wrong doing.

These two athletes allegedly broke the law and will be punished by the legal system as any other person would be. In addition they have dishonored the team and the school, and will be subject to team punishment. Unfortunately nearly all teams have these issues and in most cases they get little more than hand slap for the first offense. So dependent on any other issues with these players, I expect to see both back next year if physically able.

The only mistake they made was getting caught. They knew they were stealing. That's why they tried to cover up their theft by stuffing the loot in a backpack. That's the definition of a thief. One that steals. These thieves embarrassed me this morning. These thieves play for my University. Kick them off the team and maybe the other football players at the University of North Texas will notice and not become thieves themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Something like that happens to a schlub office worker like me, I get fired, get an arrest record, and it follows me around other job interviews for life like a case of herpes. Conviction or dismissal doesn't matter. The arrest is enough.

Now, a star athlete? We stand behind him. Innocent until proven guilty. Back in practice on Monday.

Gotta love our societal priorities and equality for all justice system.

Not meant to pick on these two kids. It just always strikes a bit of a nerve with me when athletes get such a wide berth with legal matters. See also Cowboys dude who just drunkenly killed his teammate.

first off, this is a class b misdemeanor accoriding to emmitt and he thinks is probably probation and community service. so, if it happened to you i doubt your work would find out about it because it wouldn't make the local news. second, it wouldn't follow you around on interviews for future jobs, because applications only ask you if you've ever been convicted of a felony, not misdemeanors. last, the arrest will show up on their record like anyone else.

*now this is assuming you aren't in some department for the cia, fbi, or something like it. ;)

this isn't exactly special treatment that they are getting, we aren't ut or ou, they'll get what's coming to them and like any other 19 year old person be able to go back to their life with the humility of getting caught doing something stupid and illegal. if this were a student on academic scholership it wouldn't be taken away from them, would it?

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

I understand some kid who was just 20 committed a pretty horrible crime today up in Conn. Going to excuse him because he is "just a kid"?

No, not comparing the two crimes at all...just commenting on the ridiculous comment about being 19 and as such should somehow be excused for breaking the law....like they had no idea that stealing was against the law and wrong....sure, right.

Kram1, I don't think most here are advocating no consequences at all for the young men, who certainly made a mistake. The argument of most, which seems reasonable to me, is for the punishment to be appropriate to the offense, and result in lessons being learned. And yes, similar offenses have happened before, under previous regimes, with those who offended receiving a second chance.

I just think we need to make some distinction between those who have engaged in violent, and more serious offenses, and try to get those who have made lesser mistakes back on the right path. And yes, they do have to learn that theft, at any level, is a crime taken very seriously by most, and certainly in Texas. I do know that any conviction or pending prosecution on any theft charge will keep a person off jury duty in Tarrant County, Texas. And no, I don't recommend that for getting out of jury duty.

• Upvote 1

So tired of this lame excuse for illegal behavior. These two players knew what they were doing was against the aw and Wrong.....loving households or not. Apologist thinking at it worst...this is the type of thinking that allows this crap to go on.....ridiculous. And, this really is a kick in the teeth to all those who grew up in such households but were fully aware of right and wrong and chose right.
So...are you saying that you have NEVER EVER committed a misdemeanor of any kind? Honestly. I'm certainly not insinuating that you're a thief, but I would lay down big money that every person on this board has committed a misdemeanor at some point in their lives.

No one is defending these guys, and I just hope that this incident was more an act of momentary stupidity than a 100% indictment of their overall character. I don't know them personally, but hopefully this will serve as a wake up call for them before they go out and do something even more stupid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The thing that I know about thieves is that they are thieves. Very few ever truly stop being thieves. Unfortunately these two happen to play football at the University of North Texas. Just because 2 out of approx. 125 kids in the football program did this does not mean that our program is bad, or that we are recruiting bad kids, or no one has control of said kids. There are still approx. 123 other kids in the football program that did not get arrested that day for stealing clothing at the golden triangle mall, and hundreds and hundreds more athletes that play golf, tennis, basketball, softball, run track etc. that did not get caught stealing at the golden triangle mall. To me this is not even newsworthy. Just two dumb college kids that got caught stealing.

Edited by adman

http://tinyurl.com/9mu63wj

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 2

So...are you saying that you have NEVER EVER committed a misdemeanor of any kind? Honestly. I'm certainly not insinuating that you're a thief, but I would lay down big money that every person on this board has committed a misdemeanor at some point in their lives.

No one is defending these guys, and I just hope that this incident was more an act of momentary stupidity than a 100% indictment of their overall character. I don't know them personally, but hopefully this will serve as a wake up call for them before they go out and do something even more stupid.

Nope never ever..other than traffic ticket....and a minor in possession of alcoholic beverages while in HS. Stealing is an entirely different matter than a beer as a HS student with some pals and a speeding ticket or two. So, nope! Never have seen the inside of a jail house...except a tour of Alcatraz once. Same for my kids, etc. somehow we seemed to learn that stealing was wrong on several levels. Imagine that....I too hope it was a brief moment of insanity. Not indicting their overall character...I am more commenting on the folks here who want to give them a pass. My guess...they have had several passes in their lives....this is nothing new for some HS football stars, etc. they seem to get away with all sorts of stuff. Some time or other that "getting away with it" stops. Hopefully before they make too big of a mistake. People excusing this crap is what creates a feeling that they can get away with this sort of crap.

So, am sure they will be contrite and say all the right things...probably get a fine and maybe some community service or deferred adjudication or something like that. Mac will give them some punishment as well and we will see both out at spring practice.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Kids in every program get into trouble. It really sort of chaps me though when people excuse this behavior as a "mistake". It's not a mistake. If you steal, sell weed, or whatever, you intended to do it. A mistake implies that there was no intent. When you put someone else's stuff in your bag and try to leave with it, you're a thief. You intended to do it, and thus it wasn't a mistake. Calling this a mistake is an excuse for intolerable behavior.

• Upvote 6