2002 New Orleans Bowl Video

C Vo

The key to us playing defense is really maybe not one or two guys. It’s having a good player - a talented player - at every position and a quality backup at every position; and you throw in there a couple of dominating players at certain positions, and so now you play pretty good defense.

gallery_655_153_18977.jpg

Miss you Scott!

gallery_655_153_82735.jpg

An absolutely great defense and solid running game--that night will probably go down as the highlight of my Mean Green fandom. Being there in person, watching my alma mater beat a good team with a recognizable name in a bowl game was surreal. Kevin Galbreath was unstoppable. People forget that Cincy was a dropped TD pass away from beating Ohio State that year--the same team that beat Miami to win the national championship. Kind of sad to say, but I remember seeing that we got 2 votes in the coaches poll that year. That's the closest that I have ever seen a UNT football team get to being ranked.

What's really amazing is that the 2003 team was even better--they just lost a tough game to Memphis in the NO Bowl that year. I thought the 2001 team's season was neat, but we all can recognize that it wasn't exactly a great team, since we finished 5-7 in the SBC's first year and got blown out by CSU in that first NO Bowl. And the 2004 team, while better than 2001, won all 7 games against SBC teams and lost all 5 OOC games, with the NO Bowl blowout loss to a much bigger and faster Southern Miss team that just crushed Jamario and the running game. But those two middle years (2002-2003) were the best two years that I have seen out of any UNT football team. I got frustrated by the boring offense and the fact that we were running roughshod over a new league full of teams that no one had heard of or cared about, which caused attendance to marginally improve. But I do think that if Dickey could have gotten hired away after that, it would've been the best thing for us. It would have told the college football world and recruits that this program could get you places, that we were finally building something great here. Unfortunately, he didn't get any interest, though, and the recruiting really went south fast, as did his attitude and demeanor toward the university and the fans. But I really wonder if he had gotten hired away, who would've been interested in coming here and who we would have hired. There would have been more interest and we wouldn't have had a buyout that made Todd Dodge the most attractive option to hire away from high school. Of course, having watched how we replaced the opposite of Dickey in Johnny Jones, we probably would've still hired Todd Dodge, which is similar to what Tony Benford is looking like right now.

• Upvote 1

People can talk all they want about the Sunbelt's rapid improvement.... That team would have domintated every single year of it's existence.

Liar!! We all know that the real reason we can't compete anymore is that the Sun Belt of the early 2000's was made up of Pop Warner teams and that over time they became the SEC.

Seriously.. look at the size difference between these players and what we see on the field now.

Funny you mention that. Ran across an old program from the early 2000's season and notice how much larger we were back then. At least on paper. The LB's were mostly 6-2+, 220 lbs or more. Wide receiver were 6-2, 200 lbs.

*sigh* thanks for posting this. Darrell... I'm starting to think he has the right and maybe ONLY recruiting philosophy that works for teams like UNT. Hey buddy, nobody else cared about you, but I DO. We'll make something of ourselves and PROVE these BCS schools wrong. Come here and you'll be adored by the fans and we'll shock the world. Hell even the fans don't like ME! (DD) but look at what I've done. I'm a football rebel and you are too, I know it. Work with me and we'll have fun and make it work.

10 or so years later. Did we make the right decision firing DD? Even after the sting of the black unis faded off I was starting to question that decision. The argument that keeps getting brought up - "well we would never have apogee if we never fired DD and hired *gulp* TD". I cannot argue with that line of thinking but I can't help start wondering if... wait for it...

wait for it...

wondering if Mac should bring in DD as a consultant of some sort. I'm like, mostly serious about that. he knew how to somehow make it work here, and LORD knows that hasn't been easy over the past 50 years. UNT Is not Iowa State, and it is sure as hell not Florida. Someone with a history of knowing how to make it work in North Texas might just be DD.

to clarify: I'm just referring to consulting on making the recruiting work, not Uniform pantone color selection.

• Upvote 2