Should C-USA add Texas State?

Harry

Odds are most who are against Texas State have never attended a game there and never saw the crowd they brought to Fouts, nor stepped foot on their campus the past two years.

They have made a solid effort to upgrade and their location is a good destination and very easy to get to. They will be a very good addition to C-USA

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not necessarily against Texas State. I have been down there many times for work and seen what they have done plus I have many friends that went to school there so I would love to create a football rivalry with them. But maybe you replace Rice or UTEP or UTSA with them. My problem is with the number of Texas schools, not necessarily what school it is. I'd bet we would have a much better rivalry with Texas State over say Rice.

Odds are most who are against Texas State have never attended a game there and never saw the crowd they brought to Fouts, nor stepped foot on their campus the past two years.

They have made a solid effort to upgrade and their location is a good destination and very easy to get to. They will be a very good addition to C-USA

Rick

I'm sure they do have a nice campus, but the last thing we need to do is help out another Texas team and give them an opportunity to pass us by. Texas college football is becoming too convoluted. I've lost count at how many D1 teams we have. Count me as a "No" to Texas State or any other up and coming Texas team for that matter.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sure they do have a nice campus, but the last thing we need to do is help out another Texas team and give them an opportunity to pass us by. Texas college football is becoming too convoluted. I've lost count at how many D1 teams we have. Count me as a "No" to Texas State or any other up and coming Texas team for that matter.

Ditto

God I hope we keep UTEP. My two most anticipated destinations were NOLA (hopes, dreams shattered) and El Paso. Please, Miners, stay here!

I'll take LaLa just because I've heard how awesome road games are there and I never got to go.

I am from El Paso. It's not really a destination and it is horribly overcrowded with nothing to do but Cattlemen's Steakhouse in Fabens. Men's Health just voted it their #1 steakhouse in America. It's really good.

I prefer Billy Crews, but Cattlemen's is certainly not without charm. Both good places.

Billy Crews is great. I use to live 2 minutes away and ate there often. I like the way you can pick your steak and its thickness. Although I got carried away a few times. Cattlemen's is great with kids or large groups. I was a Westsider so Cattlemen's was a haul.

EXACTLY!

I am sitting here wondering what I am missing. We had a whole state full of geographic rivals in 1-AA (along with Louisiana) and we were not happy because we were not 1-A (yeah, I know, FBS and FCS).

Then we become 1-A and eventually move to the Sunbelt - a conference full of has-beens and never-weres.

And now we are willing to settle for even lesser rivals simply because of geographic proximity?

I thought we were trying better ourselves by joining C-USA and play universities with greater stature in sports - especially in football. I thought we were trying to upgrade OUR OWN stature by being in a conference with those of greater stature than us - or at least equal stature.

With some of these suggestions all I am seeing is a return to Sunbelt-level stature...........and even worse given the speculation of adding a recently upgraded 1-AA Texas State. UTSA was a hard enough pill to swallow, but TSU adds to the difficulty.

If all of this happens as some suggest - man, did we sell ourselves a bill-of-goods.

If so, we deserve the inferority that Froggy-fool suggests.

I, for one, certainly hope that we have greater things in store for our time in C-USA (or wherever) than God-forsaken Texas State and our former Sunbelt rivals. If not, we sure have wasted a lot of years fretting and agonizing and suffering and pleading for inclusion in C-USA.

After reading the thread it appears we may be in the minority. This post sums up exactly how I feel as well.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Been to their campus. Been to their games. I live 15 minutes from there tops. I don't want them. They just don't really add anything we don't already have in the conference. Outside of the Texas Tech game they haven't drawn well. They get very little local coverage. They remind me a lot of us... just with a much smaller market. No thanks.

• Upvote 1

Why is this thread still going? CUSA added MTSU & FAU to fill the Tulane/ECU void.

At this point what would TXST get you? An extra number western member on the way to a 16 team conference.

Why not add Ark St, Lala or even USA?

Every team in realignment has been about market share (except TCU). There is no economic argument to be made for TXST over the other candidates.

I would take being in a better conference over having regional rivals, especially when those are Rice and a couple of start ups. And now we are back to playing Belt teams again. This isn't the conference we wanted to get into.

Push for MWC and hope that Boise and BYU return.

That may be better for the program and connect us to better programs with better national recognition (which, evidently is important) but no kickass road trips and none of those schools have a river walk so I'm out.

There is no economic argument to be made for TXST over the other candidates.

Exactly. Texas State doesn't deliver anything more than what UTSA is already giving you. It has nothing to do with their status, perceived or otherwise. There's really only room for one, IMO, and CUSA made the choice.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 1