29 minutes ago, Harry said:

Texas State has huge OT win over Ohio - Everett Withers is for real people.

Aaron Jones, the senior RB for UTEP, rattled off 249 yards and 2 TDs. 

UTSA QB Dalton Sturm had three touchdown passes in their win over Alabama State.

Sturm isnt that impressive. Had a decent game against a team that was ranked 77th in pass defense in FCS.  Bama St hasnt played an FBS opponent since 2013

Withers is for real, he did that with 47 walkons. He only had 32 players with real experience. It looked like Ohio was going to blow them out, but TXST battled. Ohio didnt think they'd show up to play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Sturm isnt that impressive. Had a decent game against a team that was ranked 77th in pass defense in FCS.  Bama St hasnt played an FBS opponent since 2013

Withers is for real, he did that with 47 walkons. He only had 32 players with real experience. It looked like Ohio was going to blow them out, but TXST battled. Ohio didnt think they'd show up to play. 

Good for him. 0 excuses. Just win. Here, for Littrell, excuses mount up like cow shit at the fair. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 25

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

What in the hell are you talking about?  I've heard nothing from the staff and players except "we made mistakes, we need to get better, this loss is on us."

He's referring to the folks on this site.

He lives in a fantasy world where he believes that UNT should have gone 8-4 last year with the worst QB setup in the entire FBS, which was completely obvious going into the season, and now believes that a team with 68 scholarship players should go 6-6 against a schedule that is light years harder than where we can compete with right now with the lack of talent around here and having a brand new coach learn on the fly.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Texas State has huge OT win over Ohio - Everett Withers is for real people.

Aaron Jones, the senior RB for UTEP, rattled off 249 yards and 2 TDs. 

UTSA QB Dalton Sturm had three touchdown passes in their win over Alabama State.

Some context on Sturm. He rotated with another q.b. so this isn't a full game. He had a terrible interception that should have never been thrown. He is deceptively fast. The UTSA recievers looked 2 feet taller than the secondary. Conclusion is its still hard to say, it looks like CSU has half their team not playing, so this week may not be valid either.

• Upvote 2

I'll reserve judgement for a bit on Everett Withers. He beat Ohio but Todd Dodge very nearly did too(a week after knocking off ball state). I know it wasn't his first season but still strange things happen. The coogs got dropkicked by the roadrunners in the opening of the new UH stadium. One game doesn't make a season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I'll reserve judgement for a bit on Everett Withers. He beat Ohio but Todd Dodge very nearly did too(a week after knocking off ball state). I know it wasn't his first season but still strange things happen. The coogs got dropkicked by the roadrunners in the opening of the new UH stadium. One game doesn't make a season.

Withers can coach.

2011  North Carolina         7-6

2014 James Madison       9-4

2015 James Madison       9-3

2016 Texas State             1-0

Head coaching record    26-13

• Upvote 4

I posted this in another thread. Notice returning starters and true freshman played.

"Well I'm slightly depressed reading about Texas State being a 20.5 point underdog to Ohio University and pulling out a triple overtime win 56-54. And first year coach Everett Withers did it with five returning starters, "played 10 true freshmen and 23 who played in their first college game".  They did have a senior QB running the show.

Good win for the Bobcats.  We couldn't beat Ohio in two tries."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

"played 10 true freshmen and 23 who played in their first college game".  They did have a senior QB running the show.

So get the talent excuse and scholarship excuse outta here.  SMU had us significantly beat as far as talent in one area and it was the same last year.  QB.  Trade QBs, and we whip SMU.  

Their secondary blew coverages and left our guys open.  We just didn't make them pay enough.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

He's referring to the folks on this site.

He lives in a fantasy world where he believes that UNT should have gone 8-4 last year with the worst QB setup in the entire FBS, which was completely obvious going into the season, and now believes that a team with 68 scholarship players should go 6-6 against a schedule that is light years harder than where we can compete with right now with the lack of talent around here and having a brand new coach learn on the fly.

Meh. Texas State 3-9 last year. Ohio 8-5 bowl team. Texas State opens up on the road as 21 point dogs vs a bowl team from the previous year. They have similar scholarship numbers that we currently have. They played a good amount of walkons...in a road season opener. We opened up the season as 10 point home dogs vs a rival that went 2-10 last year and 1-11 the year before. Texas St seized the moment. We wilted. Ours fans jump to the excuse of scholarships, etc. Texas State just goes out on the road and wins. No biggie. My fanasty is keeping up with Texas State. Big fantasy world of mine. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Meh. Texas State 3-9 last year. Ohio 8-5 bowl team. Texas State opens up on the road as 21 point dogs vs a bowl team from the previous year. They have similar scholarship numbers that we currently have. They played a good amount of walkons...in a road season opener. We opened up the season as 10 point home dogs vs a rival that went 2-10 last year and 1-11 the year before. Texas St seized the moment. We wilted. Ours fans jump to the excuse of scholarships, etc. Texas State just goes out on the road and wins. No biggie. My fanasty is keeping up with Texas State. Big fantasy world of mine. 

Maybe you should just go follow Texas State...

Please...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing posts like this. Texas state upset Ohio. We didn't upset SMU. It's not a big deal (for now). Let's let the season play out. I'm not saying this to justify us losing to SMU but I think they're a bowl team this year not because they have improved a bunch (Although they do have some very nice pieces in place) but I think they have enough stars to get them to 6 wins and other than Houston, the conference is pretty open this year. Memphis lost Paxton Lynch and Temple has already lost incidicating they might have fallen off a bit considering their strong start last year. Back to last year's SMU schedule, they played 7 8+ win teams, at least 3 of which won 10+ games (not sure about TCU and Baylor). Their 2-10 is hard to judge when you consider their schedule overall.

Ohio went bowling last year but they're schedule was significantly easier than SMU's with their toughest opponent being Minnesota.

Let's not look at these two games with much significance just yet. Let the season play out (and even a few years) before judging who made the better hire. McCarney looked like a great hire on the field through 2013. Hindsight says otherwise.

Thanks in advance for the downvotes. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing posts like this. Texas state upset Ohio. We didn't upset SMU. It's not a big deal (for now). Let's let the season play out. I'm not saying this to justify us losing to SMU but I think they're a bowl team this year not because they have improved a bunch (Although they do have some very nice pieces in place) but I think they have enough stars to get them to 6 wins and other than Houston, the conference is pretty open this year. Memphis lost Paxton Lynch and Temple has already lost incidicating they might have fallen off a bit considering their strong start last year. Back to last year's SMU schedule, they played 7 8+ win teams, at least 3 of which won 10+ games (not sure about TCU and Baylor). They're 2-10 is hard to judge when you consider their schedule overall.

Ohio went bowling last year but they're schedule was significantly easier than SMU's with their toughest opponent being Minnesota.

Let's not look at these two games with much significance just yet. Let the season play out (and even a few years) before judging who made the better hire. McCarney looked like a great hire on the field through 2013. Hindsight says otherwise.

Thanks in advance for the downvotes. 

No downvote. I understand your stance. But I wasn't really tying my previous post into a who hired the better coach theme. It's more along the lines of we are so disconnected and apathetic that we're, even in year 1, OK losing to what was (and what probably will be) a bad team. It's the whole "we'll get 'em next time" mentality. It's infuriating. Texas St is just a way to squash the 68 scholarship player agendadized BS, the he doesn't have his players yet, yada-yada. Though these points may be valid that people are bringing up, but people were zip tying themselves to the McCarney ship all through the 2014 season, 2015 recruiting class, and some up to the Portland game. Hell, some still clamor him as a good hire to this day. It's not a slippery slope for a fan base to be on, it's a freaking avalanche that we as a fan base must avoid. Expect to win, even in year 1. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

First week of a season always has surprises. In 2009 we went up to Muncie, Indiana and with a redshirt freshman quarterback and defeated a Ball State team that was coming off a 12-2 season. We did this with what turned out to be our worst coach (by win pct) in program history.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

No downvote. I understand your stance. But I wasn't really tying my previous post into a who hired the better coach theme. It's more along the lines of we are so disconnected and apathetic that we're, even in year 1, OK losing to what was (and what probably will be) a bad team. It's the whole "we'll get 'em next time" mentality. It's infuriating. Texas St is just a way to squash the 68 scholarship player agendadized BS, the he doesn't have his players yet, yada-yada. Though these points may be valid that people are bringing up, but people were zip tying themselves to the McCarney ship all through the 2014 season, 2015 recruiting class, and some up to the Portland game. Hell, some still clamor him as a good hire to this day. It's not a slippery slope for a fan base to be on, it's a freaking avalanche that we as a fan base must avoid. Expect to win, even in year 1. 

Completely agree with the expect to win always mentality. I'm not happy we lost to SMU. I don't care if it's only been one game and that he might be rusty, Morris was disappointing. We made some bad defensive mistakes and I can't help but think about the play where their RB broke a long run only to cramp up (my stream froze but that's what I'm told happened). The score should have been worst.

We didn't play well. We also didn't give up. This is a young coaching staff with good experience. I'm optimistic they will get this roster playing up to their potential by the end of the year. I just don't want us to look at what other new coaches are doing at other schools and say we should be doing the same. Our situation had to be the worst in colleges football to inherit. Be demanding but patient. Expect the best while being understanding when that's not what you get.

I'm excited for Saturday.

GMG