McCarney to take long look at roster and signing day thoughts

Harry

A question during Dan McCarney’s press conference prompted him to go down the road of talking about evaluating UNT’s roster and coaching staff at the end of the season.

I wrote about what McCarney had to say in today’s paper.

Basically, McCarney said that he is down 11 scholarships and has about a dozen guys out for the year with injuries, leaving the team shorthanded. UNT doesn’t feel comfortable playing in the nickel or the dime due to a lack of quality defensive backs and is not having enough guys contribute on special teams.

With that being the case, every roster spot is precious.

McCarney said he will take a long, hard look at everyone on the coaching staff and the roster at the end of the season. He said he isn’t handing out free rides any longer.

“There are no feelings of entitlement in this program that were probably pretty prevalent before I got here,” McCarney said. “We won’t let that happen under my leadership. You are not entitled to anything. You have to earn everything. If you are going to continue to be in this program, you are not going to hang out, lift weights, show up to practice, get your Nike uniform, your Nike T-shirt and shoes and then go disappear into the night.

You had better be showing us on game day that you belong.”

McCarney also said he and his staff are thinking about having three or four guys change positions in spring practice.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/11/mccarney-to-take-long-look-at-roster-and-signing-day-thoughts.html/

Hurm. Speculation on position changes:

Another RB/WR switches to DB? It's either that or they rely on incoming freshman DBs and the RS guys from this year.

We had a few injuries there as well, but that's what I would think. We're going to have a ton of RB's on the roster next season with the addition of Peagram, and I think Mark Lewis is still RS at RB

Hurm. Speculation on position changes:

Another RB/WR switches to DB? It's either that or they rely on incoming freshman DBs and the RS guys from this year.

Chancellor playing some D-Line next year... meanwhile... Cyril Lemon is going to get a few touches at wide-out!

• Upvote 1

I am glad he addressed my main question about the team which is why we are covering WR's with LB's, that has been one of my main complaints this season. I thought that was just the scheme we had, but I am relieved to know that it is due to lack of DB's and that we actually have nickel and dime packages.

• Upvote 1

I am glad he addressed my main question about the team which is why we are covering WR's with LB's, that has been one of my main complaints this season. I thought that was just the scheme we had, but I am relieved to know that it is due to lack of DB's and that we actually have nickel and dime packages.

My thoughts as well.

I'm wondering if the moves will come on both lines.

can you imagine cyril lemon catching the ball over the middle and some safety running about 200lbs trying to put a big hit on him?

I think that safety would make sure Cyril didn't have any knees left after he hit him.

This is why I don't like giving the ball to big lineman to run it in on short plays. Defensive players are ruthless and they aim at your knees with everything they have. Did you see what happened to Lattimore?

He wasn't nearly as big then as he got in the NFL. When he was playing TE, I wouldn't guess he was any more than 240, tops(?)

He bulked up before his senior year move to DE. He was about 280 then. He did play some TE his senior year.

In fact, didn't he make a couple of big catches in Lubbock when we beat Tech in 99?

All of our starting defensive backs will return next year, not to mention the hopeful return of Freddie Warner.

For those that know more about our DBs than me...

Is it that ours are relatively slow, still learning, or what that causes us to seem to play so far off in coverage?

It takes a combination of talent/speed/experience, two of which can be improved over time, but generally speed is either there or not. My concern is that if ours are just too slow, then we've lost a year waiting for their faster replacements. And do we have redshirts that bring a lot of speed?

He wasn't nearly as big then as he got in the NFL. When he was playing TE, I wouldn't guess he was any more than 240, tops(?)

No doubt you are correct. I think my recollection of him is partly because he followed Luis Silva as tight end. Silva was just cat-quick and made LBs/safeties look silly (of course, he also played against D1AA competition). It seemed to me at the time that Waters was slower and more of a get the catch and hit someone TE. I still remember him bowling through 3 guys to score a TD on Louisville in 95. But it is relative.