TMS Race Sneaks Up On Bonfire Event...No Football Team Tonight

FirefightnRick

Do some of you folks realize how childish you sound? Much ado about absolutely NOTHING! Why to some folks just want to make every thing that takes place around this program into a giant problem? God, it must be interesting living at home with some of you folks. Do you ever say anything positive or smile or do you go through life trying to find what YOU THINK is wrong about everything. man, would I hate to have you working for me! Talk about messing up the neighborhood! Really...get a grip people!

This board is turning into the "grumpy old man board". I thought there was a special place/board for all our experts who know everything about everything but have never actually done it!

I need a beer! This is just too much....thank you Adman for trying to bring a touch of sanity and perspective to all this!

Who started this thread anyway? Oh...nevermind.

Been saying that this place is an old man board for a year now. Just get negged for doing so.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Mac doesn't deal with the hotels and I'm sure some hotel didn't drop the ball on a 40+ room reservation for the largest University in the metroplex. Just a guess here , but this was poor planning on someone at UNT

As long as we are playing the guessing game, I'd guess the director of football operations makes the reservations. Id also guess that once the schedule is released this Director looks at it, makes note of the home game dates, and probably books everything at once rather than on a week by week basis. That would be my guess.

But again, it's just a guess.

I'm sure Mac is more pissed over this than anyone. He has constantly asked students to come out & support his team. They have been awesome in their attendance & enthusiasm.

The homecoming bonfire is a place where both students & the team can show support for one another. It helps grow the relationship of the University as a whole

Mac doesn't deal with the hotels and I'm sure some hotel didn't drop the ball on a 40+ room reservation for the largest University in the metroplex. Just a guess here , but this was poor planning on someone at UNT

I can find many faults on Mac , but this isn't one of them. He would really want his team at this bonfire if it was possible

Just my non expert opinion on a subject that I don't have the full story on

Not saying you are right or wrong on this, but just asking...how often have you been "up close and personal" with Coach mac on the Friday and Saturday before game time? My experience has shown me that he wants ZERO distractions for the team and that he is personally laser-focused on the job at hand. The team, in the hotel...has meetings...offense/defense and whole team together the night before the game as well as the morning of the game. Let's see..team leaves hotel at 7PM...drives in the multiple buses...probably two maybe three as it is a home game to denton...call it 30 min. to load up, 30 min. to drive to the bonfire...unload...spend an hour at the bonfire....load back up...drive back to the hotel...say 10PM at the latest. Hmmmm...time for a meeting?

Again...not saying yes or no as to Mac's position as I do not have a clue...I do know however that he is laser-focused the day before and the day of a game and wants absolutely the fewest...very fewest distractions he can have for himself, his coaching staff and the players!

Yep...love to see the players and coaches at the bonfire...it does have some spirit benefits, but if it meant so much to the students to have the players attend, why had it not led to good students turnouts in recent years when the team did attend?

No coach in my memory and it goes back to the Otis Mitchell days...has done more to get the students involved than Coach Mac has...and it is working.

Perspective people...perspective! What's the priority for the team here? The game itself and said preparation for the game pehaps...but I am just speculating.

Not saying you are right or wrong on this, but just asking...how often have you been "up close and personal" with Coach mac on the Friday and Saturday before game time? My experience has shown me that he wants ZERO distractions for the team and that he is personally laser-focused on the job at hand. The team, in the hotel...has meetings...offense/defense and whole team together the night before the game as well as the morning of the game. Let's see..team leaves hotel at 7PM...drives in the multiple buses...probably two maybe three as it is a home game to denton...call it 30 min. to load up, 30 min. to drive to the bonfire...unload...spend an hour at the bonfire....load back up...drive back to the hotel...say 10PM at the latest. Hmmmm...time for a meeting?

Again...not saying yes or no as to Mac's position as I do not have a clue...I do know however that he is laser-focused the day before and the day of a game and wants absolutely the fewest...very fewest distractions he can have for himself, his coaching staff and the players!

Yep...love to see the players and coaches at the bonfire...it does have some spirit benefits, but if it meant so much to the students to have the players attend, why had it not led to good students turnouts in recent years when the team did attend?

No coach in my memory and it goes back to the Otis Mitchell days...has done more to get the students involved than Coach Mac has...and it is working.

Perspective people...perspective! What's the priority for the team here? The game itself and said preparation for the game pehaps...but I am just speculating.

Actually I think he & I stayed on the same floor @ Houston because I kept running into him. You are right , he is very,very focused on gamedays. He's always been real approachable & easy to talk to , but during that trip he was very much to himself & kept the conversations at a minimum

U make good points. Maybe he wanted to get the team as far away as he could after the MTSU Debacle. Maybe things would have been different if we played better

All we can do is speculate and that's pretty much the one of the purposes of a fan message board.

• Upvote 1

Big boy college football programs stay in hotels the night before all games. They don't stay at their own houses or apartments then car pool to the stadium like high school teams. There will not be very much disappointment at all about the team not being there tonight. The majority of the people there are freshmen who are only concerned with the free stuff, skits, and the fire. I would much rather the team be together tonight, getting their heads right for tomorrow.

Edited by UNTP1
  • Upvote 2

Big boy college football programs stay in hotels the night before all games. They don't stay at their own houses or apartments then car pool to the stadium like high school teams. There will not be very much disappointment at all about the team not being there tonight. The majority of the people there are freshmen who are only concerned with the free stuff, skits, and the fire. I would much rather the team be together tonight, getting their heads right for tomorrow.

Another voice of reason....well said, Sir! +1 for you here.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Actually I think he & I stayed on the same floor @ Houston because I kept running into him. You are right , he is very,very focused on gamedays. He's always been real approachable & easy to talk to , but during that trip he was very much to himself & kept the conversations at a minimum

I have stayed at the team hotel for road games many times the last two seasons. It is an understatement how focused Mac is at the team hotel and he is definitely not in the small talk chatty mode like he might be at other functions.

Edited by Green59

So, let me get this straight. We want Denton businesses to support the athletic department and help put Dentonites in the stands, but we don't even give the hotel business to a Denton hotel...sounds logical to me.

The City of Denton does not have a hotel with all of the amenities the football team needs though. At a minimum, the FB team needs several meeting rooms concurrently for team meetings. Maybe when the hotel/convention center gets built this will be solved but right now the team has to leave the city to find a hotel that meets the team's needs.

• Upvote 1

The City of Denton does not have a hotel with all of the amenities the football team needs though. At a minimum, the FB team needs several meeting rooms concurrently for team meetings. Maybe when the hotel/convention center gets built this will be solved but right now the team has to leave the city to find a hotel that meets the team's needs.

Not true. They have stayed at the Holiday Inn several times under the last coach as well as Mac. Just FYI

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3

So, let me get this straight. We want Denton businesses to support the athletic department and help put Dentonites in the stands, but we don't even give the hotel business to a Denton hotel...sounds logical to me.

Not a hotel large enough. The reasons for staying at a hotel for home games is distractions, but also the team is breaking into positions and going through assignments, reviewing film, etc. They do this through the evening so better to be at a hotel where its straight to bed vs driving back to their apartment. Hotel needs to have adequate space for meeting rooms, adequate banquet facilities to feed entire entourage,etc.

• Upvote 1

SMH. There is a bit of misconception going on here folks and no reason for the negative crap being spewed. The hotel reservations were made at the start of the year. The Athletic Department was fully aware of the TMS Race this weekend, they didn't just make a change this week. The Hotel around TMS is where they have been staying during the entire Mac Era except for race weekends which is a straight shot up 35w to Apogee. Pre-Mac they stayed at the Holiday Inn there in Denton. The way Mac has it structured required more space and therefore the reason the team moved hotels when Mac took charge of the program.

Tonight they are in Los Colinas. The amount of time required for the kids to participate, in the Bonfire, would take them away from their normal pre-game routine which is scheduled down to the minute. Meetings (Positional and Team), Dinner, Treatments, Film, along with other preparations take up the players evening from 5pm until 9 or 9:30pm with lights out at 11pm. Attending the Bonfire would pretty much replace every part of the normal pre-game schedule these guys have been living for the past 8 weeks. These coaches believe in structure and do everything possible to maintain that structure. That structure remains the same whether a game is played at home or away.

It's a shame the players can't participate tonight but I'd much rather have them focusing on their performance tomorrow. I also respect the structure and discipline that has been established by Coach Mac.

• Upvote 7

SMH. There is a bit of misconception going on here folks and no reason for the negative crap being spewed. The hotel reservations were made at the start of the year. The Athletic Department was fully aware of the TMS Race this weekend, they didn't just make a change this week. The Hotel around TMS is where they have been staying during the entire Mac Era except for race weekends which is a straight shot up 35w to Apogee. Pre-Mac they stayed at the Holiday Inn there in Denton. The way Mac has it structured required more space and therefore the reason the team moved hotels when Mac took charge of the program.

Tonight they are in Los Colinas. The amount of time required for the kids to participate, in the Bonfire, would take them away from their normal pre-game routine which is scheduled down to the minute. Meetings (Positional and Team), Dinner, Treatments, Film, along with other preparations take up the players evening from 5pm until 9 or 9:30pm with lights out at 11pm. Attending the Bonfire would pretty much replace every part of the normal pre-game schedule these guys have been living for the past 8 weeks. These coaches believe in structure and do everything possible to maintain that structure. That structure remains the same whether a game is played at home or away.

It's a shame the players can't participate tonight but I'd much rather have them focusing on their performance tomorrow. I also respect the structure and discipline that has been established by Coach Mac.

But I thought it was pretty much agreed on the board that Mac did not know how to prepare his team and probably isn't doing anything to have them ready for the games. Man, it's getting hard to keep up with whether he does/doesn't know what he is doing...

• Upvote 2

Thanks for this.

Just saw the crowd at the bonfire....very big....how in the world did such a big crowd happen without the team? Yes...sarcasm alert here! Once again it shows that the naysayers and "the sky is falling folks" we're off base again. This making mountains out of molehills stuff is getting really old. Folks....try looking at what is right sometimes instead of always pissin' in the wind about much of nothing.

Bonfire - Big Success! Seems to me folks are having a great time....and lots of folks. Excellent! And to think...the world did not stop spinning on its axis! Got to love it!

Beat Arky State!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Per DMac, there's a scheduling(...or planning) problem with the hotels in Denton so the team is having to stay in Dallas tonight, and will not be attending the bonfire. I attribute this to the fact that the Denton hotels filled up.....as they always do twice a year when there is a race in town, and will have to instead stay in Dallas.

http://www.meangreen...&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Rick

I have read this thread twice, from the original posting by someone not-in-the-know but pretending to be, all the way through UNTNewbie’s posting, # 36 on the thread (which set the record straight!).

This thread/topic, from the beginning to posting #36, is a perfect example of mis-information, negativity, absolute guessing, cheap shots at Athletic Department personnel, and generally pure BS!

Just reading the postings in this topic alone it seems obvious to me that as “friends and supporters” of UNT athletics, that which so many of you boast that you are, given that fact………..God knows this university’s athletic department certainly doesn’t need any outside enemies.

Talk about flashing your arse!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Three questions.

Did the team attend the bonfire last year?

Do other big time college teams ever let their football teams miss the biggest spirit event of their year even though it might interfere with game day preparation?

Houston and Middle Tennessee games? Did the team have some sort of spirit event/distractions before those games?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

.... their normal pre-game routine which is scheduled down to the minute.

These coaches believe in structure and do everything possible to maintain that structure. That structure remains the same....

And thank goodness we got all that structure lined out last night or ASU may have put up 31 on us in the first half like Middle did last week?

I particularly like that play action pass down the middle that ASU used to score their first TD.

Since obviously they didn't have near as much space to work in for their pre-game prep as the Mean Green did in Las Colinas, I imagine they miay have drawn that one up while eating the continental breakfast at the Denton Holiday Inn this morning?

Oh well, see everyone next week.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6