TMS Race Sneaks Up On Bonfire Event...No Football Team Tonight

FirefightnRick

Per DMac, there's a scheduling(...or planning) problem with the hotels in Denton so the team is having to stay in Dallas tonight, and will not be attending the bonfire. I attribute this to the fact that the Denton hotels filled up.....as they always do twice a year when there is a race in town, and will have to instead stay in Dallas.

http://www.meangreensports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=1800&id=1080479&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Team usually doesn't stay in Denton before a game anyway. I understand they stay in the hotel out near the raceway. have no clue where they are staying this Friday night....due to that race. But, reservations are made months in advance. Stuff happens (in this case perhaps traffic issues)....also understand that the team is pretty much on lockdown and had a week-long curfew in getting ready for this very important game.

Am sure it is also a "darned if you do...darned if you don't deal". If players attend the bonfire some of our experts will complain that they were out too late and should have been resting before this important game....if they don't show up some of our experts will complain that it was the AD and staff's fault for not planning better. Am sure Coach Mac and his team are way too busy getting ready for this homecoming game to worry about what folks think about this...I am just keeping all fingers and toes crossed that the team starts fast, comes out strong and wins the game Saturday.

Too bad about the bonfire thing...it sucks to not have them there, but it is what it is.....and the sun will come up Saturday over Apogee either way!

BEAT ARKY STATE!!!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

". If players attend the bonfire some of our experts will complain that they were out too late and should have been resting before this important game..."

Sorry but this dog don't hunt. Nobody has EVER faulted the football team for attending a bonfire, FOR THEM, to get fans pumped for their game. This is poor planning, plain and simple. NASCAR doesn't announce these races in October. They too make their announcements "months in advance". But hey, what do I know, I've never been a travel agent either.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Am I the only one that thinks that putting up the team in a hotel is a big example of waste in college football. Yes, I know they all do it and it is because among other things that most of the team lives off campus.

I would not be opposed to the NCAA outlawing payments in lieu of dorm residence to non-married athletes. Seems to me it would be best for the athletes and schools and would close a massive element of recruiting abuses.

• Upvote 7

And I don't think anyone has ever complained about players going to a bonfire.

YET....but just hold on......folks are now complaining about them not attending...can the reverse be far behind with these folks? I think not......

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

If the football players being at the homecoming bonfire is a long-standing tradition (never made it up for the bonfire), then this is piss poor planning, plain and simple.

But the even worse piss poor planning was scheduling Arkansas St for homecoming (last year's conference champs and a favorite this year) when you have S. Alabama next weekend.

I fear a large crowd may be very disappointed tomorrow. Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

Don't they have dorm rooms or apartments in Denton? Couldn't they stay there this ONE night before a home game?

I can fit 2 linemen and a skill position player, or 4 position players in my car. More if I put the back seats down.

Who else is willing to bring them up for the bonfire?

The presumption is that NT dropped the ball and not the hotel. Do we know this?

I know I've reserved rooms, cars, tables at restaurants, and even paid for a plane ticket only to discover when I arrived that my room wasn't available, the car rental place was out of cars, the restaurant was full or the plane was oversold.

So, let me get this straight. We want Denton businesses to support the athletic department and help put Dentonites in the stands, but we don't even give the hotel business to a Denton hotel...sounds logical to me.

• Upvote 3

So, let me get this straight. We want Denton businesses to support the athletic department and help put Dentonites in the stands, but we don't even give the hotel business to a Denton hotel...sounds logical to me.

Technically, the team hotel at TMS, is in Denton County.

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 1

Do some of you folks realize how childish you sound? Much ado about absolutely NOTHING! Why to some folks just want to make every thing that takes place around this program into a giant problem? God, it must be interesting living at home with some of you folks. Do you ever say anything positive or smile or do you go through life trying to find what YOU THINK is wrong about everything. man, would I hate to have you working for me! Talk about messing up the neighborhood! Really...get a grip people!

This board is turning into the "grumpy old man board". I thought there was a special place/board for all our experts who know everything about everything but have never actually done it!

I need a beer! This is just too much....thank you Adman for trying to bring a touch of sanity and perspective to all this!

Who started this thread anyway? Oh...nevermind.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I'm sure Mac is more pissed over this than anyone. He has constantly asked students to come out & support his team. They have been awesome in their attendance & enthusiasm.

The homecoming bonfire is a place where both students & the team can show support for one another. It helps grow the relationship of the University as a whole

Mac doesn't deal with the hotels and I'm sure some hotel didn't drop the ball on a 40+ room reservation for the largest University in the metroplex. Just a guess here , but this was poor planning on someone at UNT

I can find many faults on Mac , but this isn't one of them. He would really want his team at this bonfire if it was possible

Just my non expert opinion on a subject that I don't have the full story on

• Upvote 2