CBS Reports 6 new schools to CUSA

KoldBeer

Charlotte_49ers_logo.gifODU-Monarch.jpg

Conference USA, which has four schools departing to the Big East next season, is reloading by adding six schools in 2013, industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Florida International, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Texas San Antonio, Charlotte and Old Dominion will join C-USA giving the league 14 members. However, it's not clear how soon after 2013 Charlotte, which is beginning its football program in 2013, and ODU, currently in the FCS, would be able to compete as a C-USA football member.

An official announcement could come as early as Friday, sources said.

C-USA and the Mountain West originally were going to merge into one league, but there were too many legal obstacles and that will no longer happen, sources said. Instead, C-USA will increase to 14 members and the Mountain West will be at 10 members by adding Utah State and San Jose State in 2013, CBSSports.com reported last week.

Even though C-USA and the MWC will remain separate leagues, they continue to work together on a plan to share scheduling, television and marketing resources.

http://www.cbssports...murphy/18923863

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2

Well, that should shut up ECU and Marshall. It does make sense but there is one issue. Both of those schools would fit best in the east. So how would basketball and other sports be divided? Would both LT and Tulane be in the west for all non-football sports but one be in the east for football? Both would be in the west once UNCC and OD start playing football.

WOW! Didn't see this coming. East Carolina and Marshall should be pleased and it certainly helps things on the basketball front. AAUNT knows a fair amount about ODU (fill us in bro) and I know Charlotte is a great market. Look like solid additions to me!

gotta find the duct tape before my head explodes... too late! :blowup:

This does not seem credible, but I guess anything is possible once you accept UTSA...

• Upvote 4

Well, that should shut up ECU and Marshall. It does make sense but there is one issue. Both of those schools would fit best in the east. So how would basketball and other sports be divided? Would both LT and Tulane be in the west for all non-football sports but one be in the east for football? Both would be in the west once UNCC and OD start playing football.

I think you have it right. La Tech or Tulane would be in east for football only until UNCC and ODU start playing football.

Charlotte, OD, and Tech bring pretty salty basketball reps. Charlotte is legitimate in golf and baseball, as well. If this goes down as described, I personally think this is about as great of a move for UNT as could have been made at this point in time. If it goes down like this, I am ecstatic, quite frankly.

• Upvote 2

gotta find the duct tape before my head explodes... too late! :blowup:

This does not seem credible, but I guess anything is possible once you accept UTSA...

It doesn't get much more credible than Brett McMurphy. He has owned the realignment issue.

First of all.... I am personally very excited about both of these additions. I lived for 4 yrs in Norfolk and Virginia Beach when I was in the Navy..... I still have quite a few friends that live there and I WILL be making the trip to VA if we ever play them in their house. I can promise you that there is more to do around VA Beach than most any away destination you have been to. So many historical spots in the area (Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown are all less than 45 min away) plus a very acceptable beach and cheap hotels to boot.

ODU's stadium seats around 20k (think FIU) but that will have to expand out yet again. They sell out most every game and buying Season Tickets is almost impossible since noone gives up their seats. In the last three years since they went FCS they have created the BEST historical FCS startup record to date at 18-5.

the+ted.jpg

Their basketball program should be known by you already.... they are a mid major power and they play in the Colonial Athletic Association against Drexel, VCU, George Mason and others.

The Ted Constant Convocation Center seats over 9k AND HAS A CENTER HANGING SCOREBOARD (COMPLETE WITH VIDEO). Must be nice to have a load bearing capable overhead :roadrage:

800px-OldDominion-TedConstantConvocationCenter-ODUvsVT-20051230.jpg

I like it. Geographically speaking, this move fills out the conference quite well. Adds good basketball and more markets for TV revenue. The overall caliber of football takes a bit of a hit, but give everyone a few years to build and we will be sitting in a very solid conference across all sports my friends.

Time to drink green beer because this is a turning point for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

First of all.... I am personally very excited about both of these additions. I lived for 4 yrs in Norfolk and Virginia Beach when I was in the Navy..... I still have quite a few friends that live there and I WILL be making the trip to VA if we ever play them in their house. I can promise you that there is more to do around VA Beach than most any away destination you have been to. So many historical spots in the area (Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown are all less than 45 min away) plus a very acceptable beach and cheap hotels to boot.

ODU's stadium seats around 20k (think FIU) but that will have to expand out yet again. They sell out most every game and buying Season Tickets is almost impossible since noone gives up their seats. In the last three years since they went FCS they have created the BEST historical FCS startup record to date at 18-5.

the+ted.jpg

Their basketball program should be known by you already.... they are a mid major power and they play in the Colonial Athletic Association against Drexel, VCU, George Mason and others.

The Ted Constant Convocation Center seats over 9k AND HAS A CENTER HANGING SCOREBOARD (COMPLETE WITH VIDEO). Must be nice to have a load bearing capable overhead :roadrage:

800px-OldDominion-TedConstantConvocationCenter-ODUvsVT-20051230.jpg

A what?