Green Brigade

ColoradoEagle

Kaleb, I am one of the alumni that prefer the band to be in uniform, just because that is what is customary. Also, don't get us wrong, we love the Green Brigade and are extremely proud of the individuals that always make the GB the best sounding band in the country. What we really want is for the band to look as good as you all sound. Either way, please pass along our thanks to each and every member of the Green Brigade because you guys, and gals, are awesome.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1) I usually go to a Texas game to start the year (tradition-thing with the SO) and the Longhorn Band has NEVER come out in full uniform for the first few games of the year. It's both the heat and the uniforms, but that isn't unusual at all. Nobody cares by the time they hit "Orange and White."

2) The GB sounds - impressive. The acoustics of Apogee certainly help, but there's such an incredibly high level of musicianship, it's easy to get spoiled quick and start worrying about other things, like uniforms.

3) The Music Department has done so much to make UNT relevant as an institution that if they wanted the band to wear peacock outfits with 90's "rising meatball" UNT logos while being called the prancing diddlys, I'm cool with it.

4) It was good to hear the swing fight song again! Been awhile since we've had a reason to use it.

5) Best friend in high school was in the flag corps to get chicks. He married one of them outta high school and has been with her for 5 years. I played football in high school for a (now) 5A all-male school. So did my ex-boyfriend. Appearances are almost always deceiving.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5) Best friend in high school was in the flag corps to get chicks. He married one of them outta high school and has been with her for 5 years. I played football in high school for a (now) 5A all-male school. So did my ex-boyfriend. Appearances are almost always deceiving.

We sing hurrah for the blue and gold. Awesome.

EDIT: not being sarcastic, either.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think it would look better and reflect more positively upon our school if the business majors wore business suits to the games. I mean, are we proud, or what?

No Men's Wearhouse, either.

And don't even get me started on that outfit that Derek Harper advertises. Jeez.

I think you'd be surprised how often we have to wear suits in business school. Go into the beautiful new Business Leadership Building on any given day, and you'll see students walking around in professional attire. It's required for just about all presentations, some professional development activities, career fairs, frequently donned at Beta Alpha Psi meetings, etc.

Edited by oldguystudent

I dare each and every one of you wear wear one of those stupid band uniforms. Look at a uniform. Look at it. Band uniforms are one of the dumbest "traditions" that we have out there in this country. They were originally supposed to be quasi-military uniforms, I guess...and then they have transformed from there. I'd say our Green Brigade members resemble musicians much more than military servicemen/women...

I really don't think matching t-shirts are all that important, but that just gives them a "uniform" look.

Wear green and get over it. What a stupid waste of energy to discuss this.

THEY SOUNDED GREAT, AND LOOKED JUST FINE! If they show up, play well, and root on the football team...maybe even prompting the crowd to get into it, then great!

The band is there to enhance the football game experience, and it just so happens that our band is better than 99% of any other one out there...

If they didn't come to the games, our stadium would look even more empty. This thread should be erased and forgotten.

Oh, wait, what was I thinking, if the Green Brigade was wearing uniforms, we'd be 4 - 0...I'm sorry. Forgive me for being so stupid.

+1, and, I only kinda hate to tell y'all, the Green Brigade IS 4-0.

I dare each and every one of you wear wear one of those stupid band uniforms. Look at a uniform. Look at it. Band uniforms are one of the dumbest "traditions" that we have out there in this country. They were originally supposed to be quasi-military uniforms, I guess...and then they have transformed from there. I'd say our Green Brigade members resemble musicians much more than military servicemen/women...

I really don't think matching t-shirts are all that important, but that just gives them a "uniform" look.

Wear green and get over it. What a stupid waste of energy to discuss this.

THEY SOUNDED GREAT, AND LOOKED JUST FINE! If they show up, play well, and root on the football team...maybe even prompting the crowd to get into it, then great!

The band is there to enhance the football game experience, and it just so happens that our band is better than 99% of any other one out there...

If they didn't come to the games, our stadium would look even more empty. This thread should be erased and forgotten.

Oh, wait, what was I thinking, if the Green Brigade was wearing uniforms, we'd be 4 - 0...I'm sorry. Forgive me for being so stupid.

i have...and i lived...people today are much more wussified than in the past...a band should be in a uniform...not shorts/shirt/hat...a uniform the consists of pants with suspenders and a jacket that is a pain in the ass to button! sound is great...looks are great...combine the two and the band will kick more ass than previously kicked!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

You know how lots of posters hate conference realignment talk or uniform talk? My kryptonite is discussing the band's look and sound. I know the Green Brigade is great, I just never go to a game to hear the band--I go to watch the game. As long as they play the alma mater and the fight song at the appropriate time, I am cool with them. Now, if we create a Band Forum, I am gonna tear them to shreds and talk about how they are a sleeping giant that the Big XII really should invite based on their superior potential. <_<

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 4

You know how lots of posters hate conference realignment talk or uniform talk? My kryptonite is discussing the band's look and sound. I know the Green Brigade is great, I just never go to a game to hear the band--I go to watch the game. As long as they play the alma mater and the fight song at the appropriate time, I am cool with them. Now, if we create a Band Forum, I am gonna tear them to shreds and talk about how they are a sleeping giant that the Big XII really should invite based on their superior potential. <_<

In all fairness, the band is one of the areas that has realized potential.

The GB is a UNT official organization. It therefor has the right to make it's own logo. It draws it's logo from its own uniform. I don't understand the confusion. The logo still has the words University of North Texas i teh North Texas font...

The GB has always had members and future members of Wind Symphony, Symphony Orchestra, and the top lab bands. Always has and always will.

If you say so.

I don't like the pre-game show- I was just explaining it. A few years ago when I interviewed for drum major, it was a 45 minute discussion about how to change pregame. I think it would be cool for the band to be more ridiculous(?) during pregame. I just don't know exactly what I'd do.

What I have in mind is something more "showman or flamboyant"...not ridiculous. Maybe you meant to say outrageous.

So it seems that you and I are in agreement about this issue. AND it would seem from your comments about your experience with the hiring authorities......so do they.

And yet, the GB still saunters out on the field (to the sound of a talent wasting-rim-tap) for pre-game and half-time.

I just don't understand. :unsure:

• Downvote 1

7 pages because some would like the band to be in uniform? I find it funny that IF you !!!!GASP!!!! dare to say anything about the band you will get lit up on this board.

1. The shorts and t-shirts would be fine if they were uniform!!!! There are 30 different shades and 50 different lengths. This by definition is not uniform. (for those who say Texas does it, you are right but everyone is in the same uniform from the shoes to the hat)

2. Now the band will argue that it cost too much to put everyone in the same shorts, shoes, shirts, and hats… For a hat, shirt, short, sock, and shoe combo it would be less than $100 if we used the purchasing power of 300+ (as of right now each member purchasing at least the shorts, socks, and shoes anyway, and I am sure if we ordered 300+ that we could get better pricing than what they are paying now at Old Navy, AE, and Wal-Mart)

3. Unless you have been in band you just do not know how hard it is to spend a full afternoon in the sun working in uniform. Having served in the military, I would argue that the soldiers with 100 pounds of gear including body armor in Iraq have it a bit worse than those in a band uniform not to mention the police, firemen, and football players. (Sorry band you loose this argument)

4. The band is technically one of the best there is in the country, however it may or may not translate into the game day experience. This depends on what you want to hear.

5. Everyone has said that the band sounds great! Say thank you.

6. Please be open to suggestions, those of us who have not been in band do not know the reason for a lot of what you do and we will make stupid suggestions. Take the high road and educate us without being defensive.

7. Do like every other organization does with these online forms. Take it with a grain of salt. Look for good suggestions and act on them, find the stupid suggestions and discard them.

Now I know I was not flattering to the band I here come the “how dare you” and the -1’s this is the cost for talking about the sacred cow.

We have a game today! I for one am looking forward to a well fought game and a win and will not think once about the band! Sorry music is not high on my game day experience, I am much more in to the X’s, O’s and blitzes.

I will tell you, however when I played the band did get me pumped up before the game, Thanks for those memories, the drum line in particular ROCKS!

• Upvote 3

• 10 months later...