Louisiana Tech - No Thanks Sun Belt We'll Take WAC

MeanGreen61

"When you look at the conference we're competing in, it's not just about football "» it's also about academics and how things fit the vision of the institution "» graduation rates," Van De Velde said. "No one wants to compete in a league that takes short cuts academically and that faces a lot of APR problems. For the most part, we don't have that in the WAC."

He says Tech needs to be in a league that is national in scope but where the Bulldogs and Lady Techsters can be competitive.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110710/SPORTS0203/107100326/What-does-future-hold-Louisiana-Tech-

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

:thumbsu: hey no problem for the mean green...let it drag down there program.... its fine with me... i would love to get some of there recruits... it doesnt make any sense for La Tech, TSU, or UTSA to be in the WAC but they will learn just like we learned in the 90's with the Big West.... hell they are pretty much stuck now with the schools that left the Belt for the WAC ( Idaho, USU, NMSU ) so essentially the WAC is the worst most hated conference in the nation in my eyes.... let the WAC die a slow death, in the meantime we can win the Sunbelt, and have a leg up on all these schools in the arms race for CUSA...

LaTech does not have the overall facilties to really be considered for the Sun Belt, do they? They've drawn up a bunch of pictures of what they'd like to have but heck, even Texas high schools from A to AAAAA do that kind of thing all the time on diner napkins.

Yet...the 'Dawg fans have no more influence with their school's decision makers which is usually the case most everywhere else in the FBS.

Still....I don't see that the SBC is hardly in a "begging mode" scenario with LaTech as it is. Hope they enjoy their league when all those Boise State BCS bowl percs are completely dry. Dawg fans need to understand that there probalby isn't that much interest in another Louisiana school in the SBC. They can scream "no SBC" all they want but who really gives them that much thought other than a handful on these smack board posters most likely merely goading them into this "no SBC" theme just to get their dander up.

Honestly, I think some on this forum would rather have Texas State U in the 'Belt rather than LaTech. They are already talking 34,000 seat stadium after the expansion happening now & Fran being in San Marcos will probably make that happen sooner than we will even start thinking beyond what we have now.

For UNT it will be easier for our travel budgets and it will allow some of our CenTex & SW Tx. area recruit's parent a chance to see their Mean Greener in action even closer to home on occasion. Minor sports would also have a less expensive travel budget going to San Marcos over Ruston, La.

Main thing North Texas still needs to do is get Top 25 up to Top 50 schools into the Mean Green Stadium for OOC games, because we will already have a very, very steady diet of #51 thru #120 plus(?)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I think their fans look at the “new” WAC as something that they can dominate and based on that use it as a way to move to CUSA. Also keep in mind that what we are seeing/hearing is from a few diehard fans that have no say in what the “powers that be” at LT might be working on.

LaTech does not have the overall facilties to really be considered for the Sun Belt, do they? They've drawn up a bunch of pictures of what they'd like to have but heck, even Texas high schools from A to AAAAA do that kind of thing all the time on diner napkins.

Honestly, I think some on this forum would rather have Texas State U in the 'Belt rather than LaTech. They are already talking 34,000 seat stadium after the expansion happening now & Fran being in San Marcos will probably make that happen sooner than we will even start thinking beyond what we have now.

For UNT it will be easier for our travel budgets and it will allow some of our CenTex & SW Tx. area recruit's parent a chance to see their Mean Greener in action even closer to home on occasion. Minor sports would also have a less expensive travel budget going to San Marcos over Ruston, La.

-- I am one that would prefer Texas State over LaTech. Larger school (about 30K), better location, in Texas, and even a better name, and no bad attitude. ...

• Upvote 5

"When you look at the conference we're competing in, it's not just about football "» it's also about academics and how things fit the vision of the institution "» graduation rates," Van De Velde said. "No one wants to compete in a league that takes short cuts academically and that faces a lot of APR problems. For the most part, we don't have that in the WAC."

I'm sorry but the La. Tech president is right. Conference membership has to do with academics - not just athletics. The Sunbelt has some miserable qacademic institutions. UNT should not be associated with ULM, MTSU, or Troy. UNT must find a conference home that doesn't reflect badly on our university.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry but the La. Tech president is right. Conference membership has to do with academics - not just athletics. The Sunbelt has some miserable qacademic institutions. UNT should not be associated with ULM, MTSU, or Troy. UNT must find a conference home that doesn't reflect badly on our university.

I was wondering about this. How does one judge the academic qualification of ULM, MTSU, or Troy? How does one quantify their supposedly "sub-standard" standing? I really interested to know.

I agree with those who prefer Texas State over Louisiana Tech. I even wish that I could agree with those that believe that the girls of San Marcos are hotter than the girls of Ruston but alas, time has a way of making that qualification less important.

While I totally disagree that the WAC is superior in academics to the SBC I can understand why LaTech should remain in their crumbling conference. 1) Money....after Hawaii, Fresno State and Nevada leave the WAC the Techsters should have the major portion of what's left due to wins and length of service. In addition, no entrance fee is required. 2) Prestige....wouldn't it be preferable to be the 800 lb. gorilla in a small jungle than to be just another gorilla in a slightly larger jungle? 3) ULM....While they probably wouldn't like any of us in the SBC (for various reasons) they really don't like ULM. They don't need competition in a relatively small market. There are also hints that the state may reduce one or more schools (likely making them into community colleges) in both North and South Louisiana; making Louisiana Tech the dominant team in the north.

I believe if ULM returns to the FCS/1-AA; LaTech is not approved for admisssion in CUSA or equivalent; and LTU has received all that they can muster from conference distributions, then they would be receptive to joining the SBC.

Edited by GrayEagle

La. Tech way, way, way before TSUSM (or however the acronym works). La Tech is an established FBS school. We don't need to be the transitional conference, at least not as long as UNT is a member (which may be a while).

No to UTSA, No to TSUSM and any other transitional football school. Jeez, isn't this conference's public perception bad enough?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"When you look at the conference we're competing in, it's not just about football "» it's also about academics and how things fit the vision of the institution "

Yes, truly the WAC will be the Ivy League of the Southwest. Click here for some proof. Possibly not safe for work.....

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Upvote 1

No university in Louisiana should ever discuss academics.

Drex, not meaning to change the subject, but I love your helmet icon.

Was talking to another alum the other day and we agreed how nice it would have been had we of UNT actually stuck with that helmet (with a shade of green color variation inasmuch as apple green has not been popular since the 70's) all these decades instead of the "parade of helmets" we've seen since the early 80's?

UT has stuck with their futuristic looking Longhorn on their helmets, smu with their pony, UH with their "UH" and probably most of the BCS/FBS have hung in their with their same-look helmet look for decades. Never liked words or letters on a helmet but rather a symbol.

I think most may agree that part of creating an identity at North Texas may include sticking with something that worked with most over a period of time rather than constant change of sports gear with each athletic regime change.

By the way, isn't it time for yet another whole new round of branding at North Texas ?:rolleyes::(

PS: Just how different are academic standards at SBC schools compared to North Texas?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"When you look at the conference we're competing in, it's not just about football "» it's also about academics and how things fit the vision of the institution "

Yes, truly the WAC will be the Ivy League of the Southwest. Click here for some proof. Possibly not safe for work.....

Holy Chicken Enchilada! How do I get that honey from TxSt in my entourage!

I think their fans look at the “new” WAC as something that they can dominate and based on that use it as a way to move to CUSA. Also keep in mind that what we are seeing/hearing is from a few diehard fans that have no say in what the “powers that be” at LT might be working on.

Our 4 straight years of SBC domination didn't get us into CUSA, what makes Lala Tech think their domination, if they do dominate, will be enough when 3/4 of their conference has been D-1 for less than 4 years???

Lady Techsters????

maybe he means the ladies are texting?

why aren't they just teh bulldogs... or lady bulldogs?

In a manner of speaking, they are.

LA Tech has the flexibility to wait and see how the new WAC shakes out while taking in unequal payouts from the new members. Tech's goal is simple upgrade and get into CUSA. If that doesn't happen, the new WAC sucks, and the state starts holding back cash, LA Tech will move to the SBC.

LA Tech has built its capital campaign on separating themselves from UL-M.

No university in Louisiana should ever discuss academics.

LMAO until I realized that Tulane is in Louisiana. LSU does reasonably well also. They should. The state legislature is loaded with LSU alumni who give their alma mater whatever they want within reason For the others it's barely operating expenses, or less.

It's even worse for La Tech to be talking about conference academics. Based on entering SAT scores they rank sixth of the seven that will remain in 2012. No one in that conference is ahead of FIU or North Texas academically.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

It's even worse for La Tech to be talking about conference academics. Based on entering SAT scores they rank sixth of the seven that will remain in 2012. No one in that conference is ahead of FIU or North Texas academically.

This...nice job GrayEagle :goodjob:

LA Tech has the flexibility to wait and see how the new WAC shakes out while taking in unequal payouts from the new members. Tech's goal is simple upgrade and get into CUSA. If that doesn't happen, the new WAC sucks, and the state starts holding back cash, LA Tech will move to the SBC.

LA Tech has built its capital campaign on separating themselves from UL-M.

Also, LaTech openly received SMU's support for admission to CUSA last time, but the Miners got their spot because of total support and market. If SMU gets Tulane, Rice, and Tulsa to vote with them as as block, which I believe is how they operate collectively within that conference, then La Tech may very well get into CUSA if the right things shake out. I'll say this until the day I die--we will never be "allowed" in a conference with SMU. For us, our road will continue to wind thru southeastern cities or it will move to the Rocky Mountains. Either way, it won't involve SMU and it probably won't involve another Texas school.

Also, LaTech openly received SMU's support for admission to CUSA last time, but the Miners got their spot because of total support and market. If SMU gets Tulane, Rice, and Tulsa to vote with them as as block, which I believe is how they operate collectively within that conference, then La Tech may very well get into CUSA if the right things shake out. I'll say this until the day I die--we will never be "allowed" in a conference with SMU. For us, our road will continue to wind thru southeastern cities or it will move to the Rocky Mountains. Either way, it won't involve SMU and it probably won't involve another Texas school.

Wholeheartedly concur.

SMU's narrative on North Texas has always been intreresting to me thru the decades. Wonder how a shrink would assess their continuous condescending attitude toward North Texas? I think we might know some of what he would tell them & even why?.:)

Do we now have a better overall athletic plant (complex) than SMU, especially with a LEED certified football stadium and our (still) ageless Super Pit?

Just for fun, the below link was one of the earliest renderings of what a new football stadum might look like at our Mean Green Village and.....is that the bloody Thames River running alongside that rendering or what?:bling:

http://www.unt.edu/g...newsstadium.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen