Louisiana Tech - No Thanks Sun Belt We'll Take WAC

MeanGreen61

--- SMU does not want a large state university in their back yard competing with them...... even though they aren't doing very well now in public support. That is the issue.. Sort of like girls not wanting a really beautiful girl to walk into the room and then have to compete with them for attention.....

--- SMU does not want a large state university in their back yard competing with them...... even though they aren't doing very well now in public support. That is the issue.. Sort of like girls not wanting a really beautiful girl to walk into the room and then have to compete with them for attention.....

Its not hard to understand what SMU is trying to protect here. Not only do you not want the big public university not to be in a conference with you, you also don't want any funding or educator losses to that university to occur. SMU has the local media on their side because of the SWC connection, as well as the money advantage because of the university's location and status, not to mention its connection to business. Here at North Texas, we made our way via education and music--awesome endeavors for the greater public good, but not exactly profitable, nor athletics-friendly usually. It is really the apples vs oranges argument here.

I really believe that most SMU folks have recognized our "potential" for MUCH longer than the typical North Texas admin, alum, or fan. It really helped SMU and TCU that the old Denton mentality for years sold the "small, teachers college that loves the arts and music" theme for so long that most people feel completely disconnected to their alma mater in general, but especially in athletics. When we have been terrible in football or when SMU needed us badly (after death penalty) are the only times we have played them. That upcoming series we have with them will get bought out in a heartbeat if June Jones ever leaves and Coach Mac gets us winning again. Its just their way--they do a great job of recognizing advantages and keeping them as strong as possible. In reality, I don't blame them for looking out for number one--I just despise the fact that the local media act like they are still something bigger than they really are. When their sorry basketball team gets their score mentioned first on a local sports newscast while ours may or may not even get mentioned, it burns me up. But, as one local sports once told me, if you were ever in the SWC, you were royalty with the Texas media. It is what we have to fight against every day.