Better Off?

wardly

Yes the program is better off as far as fanbase and atmosphere since the HC is not calling fans names and constantly moaning about the situation, but the current regime's record is slowly eroding the base that has been built up, but as long as a coach with similar attitude is brought in that is positive and can energize the masses the team will be fine.

It is head and shoulders better.

I don't think the players loathe the fans.

I don't hear the coach hating on the fans.

I don't hear the coach hating on the school.

I do see a video thanking the support from the fans.

I do hear the coach talk about the facilities and how it helps with recruiting.

I do hear the coach talk up the university.

That is what makes it hard to see Coach Dodge shown the door. I really believe he has good character and respects his position in life and his players. It is s shame that it hasn't worked out, but I hold out a glimmer of hope (that fades each week).

As a donor and supporter, it is in way better shape. Dickey wasn't tearing up the win-loss either -- but he had negativity to boot.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Assuming we end up with a lot of redshirts coming back healthy next season, this team will be pretty loaded.

If we end up with a new coaching staff, and they are able to hang on to the existing players, the next coach could end up fielding a damn good team. It won't take much to turn the W/L around.

We are in MUCH better shape than we were 4 years ago IMO.

It is head and shoulders better.

I don't think the players loathe the fans.

Calling you out on this one. I had a son on the team when Dickey was coach plus Iknew most of the players. NEVER ever did I hear any of them say anything against the fans. The players have always appreciated the fans. Even when people on this board were calling players out by name, overall the players knew the true fans supported them.

• Upvote 2

Yes the program is better off as far as fanbase and atmosphere since the HC is not calling fans names and constantly moaning about the situation, but the current regime's record is slowly eroding the base that has been built up, but as long as a coach with similar attitude is brought in that is positive and can energize the masses the team will be fine.

and the fact that the fan support was horrible even during the best run in UNTs last 3 decades or so and the horrible shape of the facilities had nothing to do with that :rolleyes:

Guest JohnDenver

Calling you out on this one. I had a son on the team when Dickey was coach plus Iknew most of the players. NEVER ever did I hear any of them say anything against the fans. The players have always appreciated the fans. Even when people on this board were calling players out by name, overall the players knew the true fans supported them.

But your son is world class ;)

Coach dodge definately helped get the student fanbase fired up enough to get the stadium built. Coach Dickey would probably even agree that the stadium alone puts us ahead of where we were during his era, especially since how often he referred to how horrible the facilities he had to deal with were?

And I never saw or heard any backlash from current players. Ex players yes, current no.

Rick

Rick

Since when do we need the players to "love" the fanbase?? That's a measure of success?!

Agree with SideShowJoe and TFLF. The football team is terrible compared to DD's years, but the program, overall, is light years ahead.

Taking it a step further...the WORST DD team would beat the BEST TD team. Why? Toughness.

...doesn't mean I want DD back. Just answering the question.

Edited by TIgreen01

Program, Yes.

Team, I don't think so.

That's my take too. The program is better off because of the facilities improvements and Dodge's attitude -- which is better than Dickey's poor-me act. But the team's on-field performance is worse. Dodge has yet to equal the 3-9 season that got Dickey fired.

Edited by rcade

DickeyBall became boring and predictable. DD cursed the fanbase, facilities and later the program overall with his black jersey stunt.

Although DodgeBall hasn't won the losses have usually been entertaining. Dodge is a class act and speaks well of the school and program. If he was 34-5 instead of 5-34 we'd be begging RV to match the BCS offers Dodge would get.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This fan base is not "eroding". There is more interest in this football program than ever before. Other events besides the games have record attendance. For example, the presentation about recruiting in February was standing room only at the Pourhouse, the Don January Classic had a record number of players in a down economy, and the MGC has increased in membership. I see the same faces in the parking lot tailgating, and from the posts on the board, I have not seen one say they would not be at the Oct. 2 game. There has never been as much energy, though some of it is anger, in all the years of UNT football as there is right now. The spirit of the Mean Green Nation is definitely growing.

• Upvote 2