Former UNT signee Layne Taylor commits to central Arkansas

13 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Building something special, gotta be talking about the waterpark right??

Screenshot_20240412-122630.png.8c330d33a7a561a96cfee8b985901f4d.png

You realize that is a city project and not a UCA project?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I’m thinking that these two guys knew they were likely to sit the bench as freshmen at UNT/FAU and wanted a chance to start immediately at UCA as a potential springboard to some real NIL $$$ as sophomore transfers. Not a bad strategy, if that is what you want. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

This defection is just another effect of the NIL era.
Hodge is likely to go very heavy on established low-major transfers who have been productive. Or formerly productive high-major transfers who fell out of favor at their previous program. 
Why would Layne Taylor come to UNT to sit on the bench? Is it to develop and earn a spot 2-3 years down the road? No, because 2-3 years down the road Hodge is still going to be filling up his roster with those same transfers who have already been productive at some level of college basketball. 
The move for Layne Taylor is to go somewhere he can PLAY now and be productive.
Worst-case he could land at a school like North Texas later as a transfer. Best-case he can springboard straight to a high major and make big $$$. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

Maybe my anticipations were too high for him and I thought he would be a major contributor early. If he wasn’t coming here I’d just assume he had something we would perceive as a step up. But maybe this was a more mutual parting?? Otherwise I am a bit perplexed. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Maybe my anticipations were too high for him and I thought he would be a major contributor early. If he wasn’t coming here I’d just assume he had something we would perceive as a step up. But maybe this was a more mutual parting?? Otherwise I am a bit perplexed. 

My thoughts exactly.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

1 hour ago, Deep Throte said:

Layne's grandmother is bravely battling cancer and his decision was based on staying closer to her and the rest of the family as they support her during this difficult time.

UNT did the right thing for this young man by letting him out of his signed NLI.

Thank you.  I hate to lose him--he is a far cry from a "developmental high school recruit"--but I understand things a whole lot better now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

On 4/12/2024 at 9:56 AM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This is humiliating.

I give, why is this humiliating?

NT apparently didn't believe he was good enough to play here and released him to go elsewhere.  He signed with Central Arkansas, not exactly a powerhouse. 

Although with NT losing about every player to the transfer portal and their current sleuth recruiting, it is impossible to access NT's strategy.   I am hoping there is a strategy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:11 PM, Matt from A700 said:

I just know he couldn't have meant the Central Arkansas basketball team is building something special...

if you clowns did any research, UCA has a new coach coming for next year, but keep bagging on the kid staying close to home

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2