Be Honest ... How worried (or not) are you about the QB situation?

31 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Needed to have the new QB in-house by spring training.  Huge miss not getting someone by then.  Those are very important reps for a new player learning a new playbook and getting to know new teammates.  

I don't even think classes have started yet. Still time for a transfer to come in and get those reps.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Aune's 2022 season was a pleasant surprise.  Actually, it was VERY SIMILAR (with the glaring difference being the 10 more interceptions) to Rogers' season last year.

Aune and Rogers' seasons proved that putting up big stats does not mean much if your defenses are bad. Our coaches must stop thinking they can outscore everyone and not put enough emphasis on the defense. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't even think classes have started yet. Still time for a transfer to come in and get those reps.

I thought both C. Morris and Purdey were staying at their current schools to graduate in May.  Even if Eric is counting on one of them, getting another transfer or JUCO player here for the Spring would be nice.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

To be honest, I am more worried about our defense and the lack of signings out of the portal on that side of the ball.

I agree that this is very concerning. Even after being the worst defense in FBS, it seems Morris is still clinging to his Leach Air-Raid defense philosophy, where he believes his offense will score enough and he can deal with whatever he has on defense. We should have seen a much harder push for DLs and LBs. It will not matter how good of an offensive geru Morris is if we do not improve significantly on defense. I do not believe he will finish out his first contract here.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I thought both C. Morris and Purdey were staying at their current schools to graduate in May.  Even if Eric is counting on one of them, getting another transfer or JUCO player here for the Spring would be nice.

Even if those two are, it doesn't mean we won't bring somebody else in. Players have continued to hit the portal. Like the JayD said, Rogers didn't commit to us until January 10th last year. I realize today is the one year anniversary of that but it really just shows it's still not too late.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Even if those two are, it doesn't mean we won't bring somebody else in. Players have continued to hit the portal. Like the JayD said, Rogers didn't commit to us until January 10th last year. I realize today is the one year anniversary of that but it really just shows it's still not too late.

I agree and believe there are players who could provide needed depth in the portal.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree that this is very concerning. Even after being the worst defense in FBS, it seems Morris is still clinging to his Leach Air-Raid defense philosophy, where he believes his offense will score enough and he can deal with whatever he has on defense. We should have seen a much harder push for DLs and LBs. It will not matter how good of an offensive geru Morris is if we do not improve significantly on defense. I do not believe he will finish out his first contract here.

That was definitely Todd Dodge's philosophy.   

• Upvote 2

Defense is a concern for sure! QB. We better get a transfer  with a good throwing arm or we’re in trouble for next year. Why did we let Rogers go, money? Hell, we couldn’t even come up with enough to keep him??? If that is the case we’re in trouble moving forward…we need to raise more money for NIL very soon!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Not sure what people saw out of Earle that gives them any confidence he can be a contributor, much less a starter.  He looked completely lost based on what I saw.  If he does not somehow take giant steps forward I surely hope we have better options.  

The only defense he looked competent against was our own.  Hopefully Morris learned from his complete whiff last season when it came to evaluating his QB talent going in to the season.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not sure what people saw out of Earle that gives them any confidence he can be a contributor, much less a starter.  He looked completely lost based on what I saw.  If he does not somehow take giant steps forward I surely hope we have better options.  

The only defense he looked competent against was our own.  Hopefully Morris learned from his complete whiff last season when it came to evaluating his QB talent going in to the season.

Earle just looked nervous.  Rogers was the polar opposite, in that he was always extremely calm and had a quiet swagger about him.  Experience slows the game down for you.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

That was definitely Todd Dodge's philosophy.   

I would disagree with that. Dodge hired the guy who everyone around here thought was the very best DC he could in year 2. That was Gary DeLoach. If you look at the play mix in his first year we passed the ball 3 times for every 1 time we ran. By year 3 we were essentially 50-50. Todd Dodge was woefully underprepared to be a FBS head coach in 2007 but he did learn, improve, and adjust as time went on. It just didn’t happen fast enough to prevent his firing.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Earle just looked nervous.  Rogers was the polar opposite, in that he was always extremely calm and had a quiet swagger about him.  Experience slows the game down for you.

Yep, Rogers was probably used to his team’s bad defense and a lot of pass rush from the opposition due to his time in Monroe.

• Upvote 2