First Quarter Complete - What's your Grade?

HoosMeanGreen

30 Game Season + Conference Tournament = Season

First Quarter results: 5 wins 5 losses

Best win vs 5-7 UNI

Worst Loss vs 5-6 Fordham

Improvement opportunity: Player contribution consistency, team identity, counter punch development

Grade: C

Find a way to end current win/loss trend: Win 2 Lose 2 Win 3 Lose 3

All is not lost.     

• Upvote 6

id give it a D currently. Not only are we not nearly as good on offense as i expected, it feels like our defense is regressing now too ( this could be due to a lack of flow and bad turnovers on offense). also very concerned about the lack of adjustments from this coaching staff so far. 

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 2

At this point...a C+ maybe.

I always had an inkling we'd take a step back  this year with a new coach and moving to a new league (and losing our best player).  It's a long season though.  I know sometimes in football you don't have a good gauge on how good the team might end up after four games or so (roughly the equivalent to ten games in basketball), but I feel like in hoops it happens quite often.  We might turn it around once AAC action begins.

Or we could struggle.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

At this point...a C+ maybe.

I always had an inkling we'd take a step back  this year with a new coach and moving to a new league (and losing our best player).  It's a long season though.  I know sometimes in football you don't have a good gauge on how good the team might end up after four games or so (roughly the equivalent to ten games in basketball), but I feel like in hoops it happens quite often.  We might turn it around once AAC action begins.

Or we could struggle.

this is about where I'm at. 

we're 5-5...but we're 11 points away from being away from being 9-1.

this is still a good team with a lot of the same bones as the last few seasons...it's just lacking clutch and a real calming presence on the ball. I think some of the regression we're seeing defensively is more the result of trying to play at a bit higher pace, more than overall personnel...would not be opposed to just going back to snail's pace in conference. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, glick1980 said:

F.  This has been a major step back from where we were.  

2-8 and getting blown out against LSU, St. John's and Boise State would be an F. We lost our head coach, key assistants, one of the best clutch players in school history, our best post player and most of our scoring from last year. I don't think anyone is happy with 5-5 but an F is a little harsh. Let's see where we are at after the next 5-6 games. We definitely have to improve in several areas. Offensive consistency, turnovers, late game situations and staying out of foul trouble come to mind. I trust Ross to get things fixed. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

C - We’ve got some offensive issues to sort through. I’d like to tinker at the 5 and have Allen get more minutes. Probably swap Edwards into the starting lineup . Hopefully Walker can add a little more depth and an additional perimeter defender.

Overall disappointed but not shocked that we’re mediocre. Losing Tylor, Kai, and Abou is a LOT to account for.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

C - We’ve for some offensive issues to sort through. I’d like to tinker at the 5 and have Allen get more minutes. Probably swap Edward’s into the starting . Hopefully Walker can add a little more depth and an addition perimeter defender.

Overall disappointed but not shocked that were mediocre. Losing Tylor, Kai, and Abou is a LOT to account for.

70% of the scoring

• Upvote 2

Tough to post and ask this after yesterday.  Yesterday was pretty deflating.  Still, we’re .500 so that’s a C.

To quote Bill Parcells, “you are what your record says you are.”  We aren’t good.  We aren’t bad.  Hope the guys can turn it around and find an extra gear for conference.  We will need it.  This conference is tougher than our last.

• Upvote 1

I will go with a b-, lots of new parts to mesh together.

The only horrible game was against Fordham, rated 205 in K. Pom at present).  

The other loses again rated by Pom were to:

#31 Mississippi St blowout 54-72;  not sure MS could be beaten at that venue with that officiating 

# 61 St. Johns  52-53

#73 Boise St  64-69: Rarely ever loses in Boise

#107 LSU  62-66

#205 Fordham 59-60

Being that NT only returned 2 starters and something like 25% of their scoring with a new coach, imo that is not that bad a start. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This team has talent, they have been in every game this year, but the inability to make adjustments is very concerning... poor game management in crunch time, defensively they have gotten a bit sloppy.  Hate to say it, but this team has been out coached in just about every game this season

Grade:  D+

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1