Who Should We Hire to be Our DC Next Season?

Side.Show.Joe

On 11/6/2023 at 12:31 AM, NM Green said:

1. Dave Aranda - let him recoup rebuild focusing on one side of the ball.

2. Phil Bennett - is he bored yet? Is his wife ready for a break again.

3. Skip Holtz.

4. Or get that Troy guy getting experience now and bring in Patterson as a consultant.

Go Big here. Morris is building a world class offense. Get someone off the couch - send CY in for the close. 

GMG

damn i miss Phil

• Upvote 3

On 11/6/2023 at 6:48 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Looks can be very deceiving....

Caponi's UNT defense #133

Kehres' Toledo defense #32

Apparently, Kehres actually knows how to run the 3-3-5, and Caponi doesn't. The numbers don't lie. 

As mentioned above, this is his third year. Curious what his defensive rankings were in year one and two. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The Phil Bennett that led last year’s defense, which had a lot more talent, to a bottom 10 ranking and gave up 460 yds/game and 31.5 points? 

Yeah, I don't relate.  He's super loveable but takes 2-3 seasons to get his system going.  We can do better.

Plus, I feel like he was compelled to help last season because of his relationship with SL.  Not sure we have that bridge anymore.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

As mentioned above, this is his third year. Curious what his defensive rankings were in year one and two. 

His defenses were good enough to post winning records in every season he has been their DC. I haven't looked up their rankings for every season. But, whatever they were ranked, It was never dead last in the FBS.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the guy we need. 

Nate Reiling- New Mexico State DC. Current Salary: $195,000

Dreiling__Nate_HF7V6.jpg?width=300

In Dreiling’s first season in Las Cruces, the NM State defense turned heads across the nation. Dreiling inherited a defense that ranked 127th in total defense among FBS schools. The ‘22 Aggies were the most improved defensive unit in college football, climbing 98 spots to 29th in the nation. 

https://nmstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/nate-dreiling/3334

His NMSU defense looks solid tonight against Liberty's high-powered offense (5th in the FBS). That game is tied at the half. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

In Dreiling’s first season in Las Cruces, the NM State defense turned heads across the nation. Dreiling inherited a defense that ranked 127th in total defense among FBS schools. The ‘22 Aggies were the most improved defensive unit in college football, climbing 98 spots to 29th in the nation. 

His NMSU defense looks solid tonight against Liberty's high-powered offense (5th in the FBS). That game is tied at the half. 

He is looking good tonight. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

It's amazing the number of people on here that when you try and credit someone want to as quick as possible find something to go back after that person. Right or wrong guys we had the worst defense in college football. Honestly it does not look like Morris will make a change ( whether that is out of his true belief, arrogance, or his inexperience, only time will tell) and if he doesn't I will be frustrated but I will support him because I support the Mean Green. We have to all realize as long as we have an air raid mentality coach defense will most likely not be a priority.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:24 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So, you fire our current DC in less than 1 season.  What coach of any caliber would hire on to that situation.  I want you to come on and “fix” our defense….and if you don’t do it immediately, we will fire your ass and go find somebody else. 

great incentive to come here

dont throw that USC fired their DC.  How long has he been there??  SC was supposed to be competing for a Natty….not rebuilding under a new staff. 

He was the worst defense. THE WORST! I bet if you approach other DC candidates, they’ll say they can do much better…everyone of them

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2023 at 7:41 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

I bet they practice tackling also

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Hypothetically, if he starts next season as bad as this season, do we "give him another year because insert excuse here"?

There’s no way he gets to run this defense to the ground two years in a row. He may not get fired, but they at least need to demote him. He may not get out of non-conference schedule if the defense is a replay of last year