Fire Caponi or Morris

97and03

Qb close to 300yds of total offense we had a running back that rushed for 125yds and Navy only scored 27. Based on these stats we win the game. Like last year turnovers cost us the game! I guess you could also add dropped passes.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Qb close to 300yds of total offense we had a running back that rushed for 125yds and Navy only scored 27. Based on these stats we win the game. Like last year turnovers cost us the game!

Navy only scored 27 points because they run a ball control offense that chews up the clock and limits the number of possessions each team has in the game. Plus, Navy committed 7 penalties in this game, which also killed some of their drives. Factor in the bad throws that would have been Navy touchdowns, and it is easy to see why Navy only posted 27 points. Navy also had a time of possession advantage of almost 8 minutes. Let's face it. We got outcoached on both sides of the ball today. 

• Upvote 9
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, THOR said:

held navy to 27....defense played really good.

I'm not calling to fire anybody but the defense didn't play really good. We gave up 331 yards on the ground and were already the worst in rushing defense in the American before this game, giving up 241 yards a game.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We can blame him for not seeing who was getting ready to bounce his head off the turf, yes. As a former starter, he should be able to see that and laugh at his HC for calling formation/passpro/play at the LOS and check into something more protecting. But getting smoked and fumbling is not his fault. Ultimately, blame falls at the feet of Eric Morris for putting his team and his QB in that position. And we damn sure should blame Eric Morris for his short yardage package, and several of his D&D playcalling throughout the game. And, of course, blaming our soft defense is still on the table. 

iĺl never understanding blaming someone else for something you did.  rogers lost 2 fumbles.  he lost the ball, not the coach, not the line, not diet coke boy.  he is an experienced qb and knows how to run the offense and what to do.  sucks it happened, but rogers lost 2 fumbles that douchebaged the game

• Upvote 8
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, THOR said:

iĺl never understanding blaming someone else for something you did.  rogers lost 2 fumbles.  he lost the ball, not the coach, not the line, not diet coke boy.  he is an experienced qb and knows how to run the offense and what to do.  sucks it happened, but rogers lost 2 fumbles that douchebaged the game

I think stickin to tailgating and hoping for the best should continue to be your thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 12
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think stickin to tailgating and hoping for the best should continue to be your thing. 

thanks man....i dont blame others when the tailgate goes astray....its my fault...as it is the players fault

• Upvote 6

For all the crap I’ve slung on the defense, they got a stop and gave our offense the ball with 2 minutes left.  I couldn’t believe it, but credit to them.

Rogers did not have a great game.  He was ok, but taking too long getting the ball out got us beat.  That last sack on first down of the last drive was the killer.  He seemed more poised and had a better clock in his head the last two games.  Gotta get him back on track.  Also, the stone Earle plays were bad.  Stop with that.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Navy was aggressive defensively all game. They were alway in attack mode. Give them credit, because they did what they had to.
Seems like the UNT offensive game plan was lacking ways to counter their aggressiveness. I saw a lot of bubble screens to WRs, but they could never get by the first tackler. Don’t know if it was Chandler or the play call, but holding on to the ball too long or receiver routes developing too slowly was a major issue. Utilizing a TE inline to help block could’ve helped, but was only seldom used. OL made some nice holes, but ultimately couldn’t get the necessary push. Although  they ran the ball well, I never felt they controlled the trenches. Navy owned the trenches this game. 
UNT shot themselves in the foot at key times. I place that on the coaches. This loss goes on them…especially Coach Morris. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

For all the crap I’ve slung on the defense, they got a stop and gave our offense the ball with 2 minutes left.  I couldn’t believe it, but credit to them.

Rogers did not have a great game.  He was ok, but taking too long getting the ball out got us beat.  That last sack on first down of the last drive was the killer.  He seemed more poised and had a better clock in his head the last two games.  Gotta get him back on track.  Also, the stone Earle plays were bad.  Stop with that.

Navy stopped themselves. Two straight bad passes that would have been touchdowns, and then a motion penalty that kept them from going for it on 4th down. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, rcade said:

I'm not calling to fire anybody but the defense didn't play really good. We gave up 331 yards on the ground and were already the worst in rushing defense in the American before this game, giving up 241 yards a game.

If we aren’t the worst in all FBS after this weekend games are complete, I will be very surprised.  We also should b near the bottom in overall defense.  One more defensive performance giving up yards in line with our season averages and Caponi has to go imo.   This was the week to admit he made a mistake playing a 3-3 alignment in the box and go to a true 3-4 or 4-3.  No excuse for rolling out a basically unaltered 3-3-5 to play an offense that wants throw the ball less than 15 times a game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

As long as Caponi is here, there will be no changes defensively. Morris will continue to ride him and make excuses for him. Where will the accountability fall to? Easier to blame the players than the system even tho they know the players they have now doesn’t fit their system

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 hours ago, THOR said:

what the douchebag is your problem?  your vitriol and hatred for these guys here and on twitter is pathetic.  why fire them today?  held navy to 27....defense played really good.  you want to fire someone, fire rogers....2 fumbles that lost the momentum and game.  morris and company have show improvements every game...you hate them so much...quit the team. you will be happier

Jesus Thomas I would hate to see how you react to someone who wasn’t a friend. I have been following this shitty program since 1997. Not sure why I would stop now. 
To the substance of your post: Rogers deserves criticism for not holding on to the ball but man he was left hung out to dry on both those plays with no TE or RB in the backfield to help pick up the defenders that had a free run at him. (On a related note I have us seen a ton of empty backfield sets this season and I am not sure what benefit they bring. We almost never throw to the RB and we lose a man in protection.) The coaches failed to adjust to Navy’s pressure. In fact, they got more pressure in the second half. We have up EIGHT sacks, ffs. So sure Rogers gets criticism for the fumbles but also credit for a 75 yard TD run and completing over 60 percent of his passes. Cleveland catches that pass in the end zone on the second drive and we win. Or if we come away with points on the first drive instead of shotgun runs on the goal line and passing up the easy 3 points and instead doing what? Run from the shotgun on the goal line. And that’s on Morris. 
On the defensive side, we gave up 400 yards with those 27 points. And we were lucky it was only 27 because most of the “stops” we got were from Navy getting in their own way with a penalty or a bad pass. Navy also adjusted better by distributing the ball to the backs after starting out with all QB runs. I will give credit to Craponi for mixing up the front for this game and also doing a good job of rotating players to try to keep guys fresh but they couldn’t keep Navy from long sustained drives in the second half when it mattered. And I guess we should be glad they run a slow ball control offense because as others have noted, they probably only scored 27 because of a limited number of possessions. 
In the end, we got out coached. I think a lot of that is the inexperienced coaches Morris brought in (including himself to a point) and their failure to recruit to the systems they wanted to run. This is especially glaring on defense, where we are undersized at DE and LB. And then they went forward with their plan without the guys to run it. On top of that, the tackling has been atrocious but much of that has looked to me to be partially due to guys in the wrong place or taking the wrong angle. It’s bad however you slice it. 
So that’s where my “vitriol” toward the coaches come from. They have failed to beat the winnable teams at the front of our schedule and it only gets tougher from here. We (rightly) fired a guy who padded his resume beating weak teams and brought in a guy to lose to creampuff FIU because there are no training wheels at this level. Real programs would make a change at DC (or would have already) with these results. Yes, I know we are just “little ole UNT and should just feel lucky we have a team at all” but if we fired a guy who made the conference championship and a bowl, doesn’t that signal that we as a program want more? So eat the overpaid DC’s contract and make a change! Would also be a good idea to have a real OC instead of the Head Coach running the offense. Instead we have a lot of JV assistants.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Jesus Thomas I would hate to see how you react to someone who wasn’t a friend. I have been following this shitty program since 1997. Not sure why I would stop now. 
To the substance of your post: Rogers deserves criticism for not holding on to the ball but man he was left hung out to dry on both those plays with no TE or RB in the backfield to help pick up the defenders that had a free run at him. (On a related note I have us seen a ton of empty backfield sets this season and I am not sure what benefit they bring. We almost never throw to the RB and we lose a man in protection.) The coaches failed to adjust to Navy’s pressure. In fact, they got more pressure in the second half. We have up EIGHT sacks, ffs. So sure Rogers gets criticism for the fumbles but also credit for a 75 yard TD run and completing over 60 percent of his passes. Cleveland catches that pass in the end zone on the second drive and we win. Or if we come away with points on the first drive instead of shotgun runs on the goal line and passing up the easy 3 points and instead doing what? Run from the shotgun on the goal line. And that’s on Morris. 
On the defensive side, we gave up 400 yards with those 27 points. And we were lucky it was only 27 because most of the “stops” we got were from Navy getting in their own way with a penalty or a bad pass. Navy also adjusted better by distributing the ball to the backs after starting out with all QB runs. I will give credit to Craponi for mixing up the front for this game and also doing a good job of rotating players to try to keep guys fresh but they couldn’t keep Navy from long sustained drives in the second half when it mattered. And I guess we should be glad they run a slow ball control offense because as others have noted, they probably only scored 27 because of a limited number of possessions. 
In the end, we got out coached. I think a lot of that is the inexperienced coaches Morris brought in (including himself to a point) and their failure to recruit to the systems they wanted to run. This is especially glaring on defense, where we are undersized at DE and LB. And then they went forward with their plan without the guys to run it. On top of that, the tackling has been atrocious but much of that has looked to me to be partially due to guys in the wrong place or taking the wrong angle. It’s bad however you slice it. 
So that’s where my “vitriol” toward the coaches come from. They have failed to beat the winnable teams at the front of our schedule and it only gets tougher from here. We (rightly) fired a guy who padded his resume beating weak teams and brought in a guy to lose to creampuff FIU because there are no training wheels at this level. Real programs would make a change at DC (or would have already) with these results. Yes, I know we are just “little ole UNT and should just feel lucky we have a team at all” but if we fired a guy who made the conference championship and a bowl, doesn’t that signal that we as a program want more? So eat the overpaid DC’s contract and make a change! Would also be a good idea to have a real OC instead of the Head Coach running the offense. Instead we have a lot of JV assistants.

I know this post is long and looks ranty on the surface, but would love to see a reasoned breakdown from someone on the other side who sees the end state these coaches are going for.  Because to me, this is as close to a complete summary as I’ve seen.  Good post.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Next week UNT hosts Temple. That game might be our last real chance to pick up another win this season. After that game we play Tulane, Memphis, UTSA, SMU, Tulsa, & UAB. We might beat Tulsa, but will have to do it on the road. 2-10 or 3-9 is a very likely possibility. That should not be acceptable to anyone. I have resigned myself to the fact that nothing can stop that from occurring now. But, once this disgrace of a season is over, this entire staff needs to be evaluated and overhauled. This crap cannot be allowed to continue into next season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

As long as Caponi is here, there will be no changes defensively. Morris will continue to ride him and make excuses for him. Where will the accountability fall to? Easier to blame the players than the system even tho they know the players they have now doesn’t fit their system

Air Raid head coach mentality. As I've asked before please show me one coach from the Mac Leach tree that has ever emphasized defense. Look at USC some of the greatest offensive talent in football and they barely win games because their defense is so poor. I guess that's one thing we will have to live with with an air raid coach from the leech tree just that mentality that defense is not important. I fear we will see no change in Morris's thinking. Hopefully I am wrong and we'll see a difference quickly in our recruiting strategy but I would not count on it. I think the transfer portal will come and go and once again we will not emphasize defense but trust me he will get a lot of wide receivers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Air Raid head coach mentality. As I've asked before please show me one coach from the Mac Leach tree that has ever emphasized defense. Look at USC some of the greatest offensive talent in football and they barely win games because their defense is so poor. I guess that's one thing we will have to live with with an air raid coach from the leech tree just that mentality that defense is not important. I fear we will see no change in Morris's thinking. Hopefully I am wrong and we'll see a difference quickly in our recruiting strategy but I would not count on it. I think the transfer portal will come and go and once again we will not emphasize defense but trust me he will get a lot of wide receivers

Morris will not change anything because he isn’t a seasoned coach. He’s practically new and is probably sweating it out right now. Coaches like this will fail a few times before knowing what to do based experiences. Unfortunately, we’re one of those failed stops. You hire an FCS coach, you’ll get FCS results. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

So Morris isn't the next step for NT Football as it was billed. Remember Mosley advertised and hired Morris. I think the problem goes further up the chain. 

Bottom line..2-3 years of so called putting Morris game plan in place which to me looks similar to that of recent coaches we've had. NT never gets out of the rebuilding process.

A NT fan has to be in it for the long haul...decades long haul.

BTW...when was the last time NT won a football Championship....oh nearly two decades ago by a Darrell Dickey team...LOL

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Morris will not change anything because he isn’t a seasoned coach. He’s practically new and is probably sweating it out right now. Coaches like this will fail a few times before knowing what to do based experiences. Unfortunately, we’re one of those failed stops. You hire an FCS coach, you’ll get FCS results. 

5 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

So Morris isn't the next step for NT Football as it was billed. Remember Mosley advertised and hired Morris. I think the problem goes further up the chain. 

Bottom line..2-3 years of so called putting Morris game plan in place which to me looks similar to that of recent coaches we've had. NT never gets out of the rebuilding process.

A NT fan has to be in it for the long haul...decades long haul.

Can Morris adjust? Time will tell; however, the history of the Mike Leach coaches shows no evidence it will. I hope he can. I'm not sure how the rest of this season will play out, but the first milestone that will let us know is the transfer portal. If he is not all-in on upgrading the talent via portal additions, I believe we will have the message loud and clear.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Can Morris adjust? Time will tell; however, the history of the Mike Leach coaches shows no evidence it will. I hope he can. I'm not sure how the rest of this season will play out, but the first milestone that will let us know is the transfer portal. If he is not all-in on upgrading the talent via portal additions, I believe we will have the message loud and clear.

Regarding the transfer portal, since NCAA has modified how athletes transfer, will we still have the same number of movement year in and year out? Seems like they are trying to discourage mass migration to major programs. not that we’re a major program, but this may make it a bit more tricky/complicated to gain transfers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1