Eric Morris visits The San Antonio QB Club - Part 1

Harry

• Harry featured this topic
  • KingDL1 pinned this topic
14 hours ago, Harry said:

So, there's six guys that all transferred out via the portal and NIL and only one of them is a backup and the rest are on the bench and he's playing just a few minutes, so the data has been pretty compelling. All these guys that left were all Conference USA players. Now they're going and they're on the bench and their backups, right?  Maybe that's what they want. Maybe it's not, but it's pretty remarkable.

Maybe this changes as the season goes on, but it looks like these guys were added purely for depth. I know it seems like the NIL money is never-ending for some of these schools, but hopefully, things change at some point. 

• Upvote 6

I like he is owning his faults. I hate he had those faults from the jump, some of the wosrst one's to have as the head figure of anything, collegiate athletics included. 

Also, I doubly hate that he is open about neglecting the portal. This just absolutely cannot happen. And if football portal money isn't there, then say it. Then go to an offensive philisophy that doesn't dictate great athletes and size. It also hides your defensive flaws. It also allows you to organically build a tough brand of football. And if done the right way we can do it better than Army, Navy, or AF. 

I liked his openness about his players leaving then doggin on them for leaving for peanuts to sit on the bench. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 1

First, I'm still skeptical of where this era is going considering the issues on defense.

That said, I greatly appreciate the emphasis on grades, respecting study/school requirements, and consequences for failing to meet those requirements. I also really respect his take on the portal. I think he's learned his lesson and will utilize it even more next year even though he may not really believe in it. He's intelligent and appears to be a good speaker. I trust he'll find a creative and respectful way to use this spring's portal losses to convey to players in the future that leaving is not the best option.

• Upvote 6

Morris comes in and does the right thing by being respectful of players and trying to build relationships and where does that get him?  It truly is a selfish, look out for #1 business.

Thanks for posting.  Some great insight gained from reading it.

Edited by NT93
Deleted content.
  • Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1

I am encouraged by this interview. Particularly by the fact that he understands he did things wrong and is actively reevaluating his decisions all the time, and that he appears to take practical steps to change them (although when it gets to actual details there sometimes isn't so much given here, but it sounds like it had practical implications). Personally I think that may be the most crucial ability in a leader. Everybody makes mistakes, but only some are quick to address them. You need some values and some perseverance, but under SL and MacCarney, in the end it sometimes turned into pure stubbornness.

I take it he will change how he handles the portal. He has to. I hope he will find solutions for the defense too. He has to as well, as otherwise he is unlikely to last his contract.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

If you check the recent offers, looks like they are prioritizing DL size from the JUCO ranks - a clear sign they don’t think it sufficiently exists on the current roster and immediate contributors needed. 

I believe that there are a lot of quality JUCO players being overlooked due to the portal. It seems the pecking order has become portal, HS, then JUCO if anything is left.

• Upvote 3

Interesting interview.  Morris definitely has that likeability factor.  Easy to root for.  

The NIL and transfer portal have to adopt some calendar rules, at some point.  But hopefully he's learned that until it does, you can't trust that your roster is ever completely set.  Alabama has been stocking talent 3 deep everywhere for as long as Saban has been there.  So it's clear that kids are just about always going to have a hard time turning down money even if it means they likely don't play.  Don't think you're going to be able to show data to kids and that's going to solve every case.  It may help with some, but you're going to lose the majority who get big money waved in front of them.  I've, also, rarely been a fan of bringing in bench warmers from P5 schools.  That tactic misses more than it hits.  I'd rather see us go peer level and down to find the difference makers that may translate at our level. 

All in all, while this level of transparency is nice, I certainly don't expect it to continue.  Too easy to get burned by being too open unless you're consistently winning.  Leach was able to get away with it precisely because he won a lot.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Interesting interview.  Morris definitely has that likeability factor.  Easy to root for.  

The NIL and transfer portal have to adopt some calendar rules, at some point.  But hopefully he's learned that until it does, you can't trust that your roster is ever completely set.  Alabama has been stocking talent 3 deep everywhere for as long as Saban has been there.  So it's clear that kids are just about always going to have a hard time turning down money even if it means they likely don't play.  Don't think you're going to be able to show data to kids and that's going to solve every case.  It may help with some, but you're going to lose the majority who get big money waved in front of them.  I've, also, rarely been a fan of bringing in bench warmers from P5 schools.  That tactic misses more than it hits.  I'd rather see us go peer level and down to find the difference makers that may translate at our level. 

All in all, while this level of transparency is nice, I certainly don't expect it to continue.  Too easy to get burned by being too open unless you're consistently winning.  Leach was able to get away with it precisely because he won a lot.

Big money I guess is relative. I do find it diffifult that big money is being waved in front of depth rostee additions, even through the lense of relativity. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Big money I guess is relative. I do find it diffifult that big money is being waved in front of depth rostee additions, even through the lense of relativity. 

We know that anyone/everyone signed to schmoo gets $35k/year and Tech is $25k/year.  That's starting out.  Assumption is better players make more.  Who's to say what constitutes "big money" for each individual?  I'm a college student getting a free ride, free room and board and you're going to throw $25k+ at me?  It's a lot of spending money for someone with no real expenses.  Or can be a boost to their parents...who may not LET them turn that offer down.  Bench or not.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, TIgreen01 said:

We know that anyone/everyone signed to schmoo gets $35k/year and Tech is $25k/year.  That's starting out.  Assumption is better players make more.  Who's to say what constitutes "big money" for each individual?  I'm a college student getting a free ride, free room and board and you're going to throw $25k+ at me?  It's a lot of spending money for someone with no real expenses.  Or can be a boost to their parents...who may not LET them turn that offer down.  Bench or not.

Sure. That's why I said it's relative. 

Also, from my recollection all of our recent portal departures are now bench guys. Bench guys aren't getting big money, even with relativity taken into account. You know how fast a 20 year old can spend 25k? It'll be like sand in an open palm. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I've, also, rarely been a fan of bringing in bench warmers from P5 schools.  That tactic misses more than it hits.  I'd rather see us go peer level and down to find the difference makers that may translate at our level. 

Generally agreed.  Of course, there is a lot of talent sitting on benches at P5s that is arguably as good as what is starting.  If you have the opportunity to go grab a difference maker like Steve Buechele's son from a P5, you don't blink.  It really all ends up being on a case-by-case basis.

• Upvote 3

On 9/20/2023 at 12:57 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Maybe this changes as the season goes on, but it looks like these guys were added purely for depth. I know it seems like the NIL money is never-ending for some of these schools, but hopefully, things change at some point. 

At some point someone is going to have to justify why they were paying 6 figures for some bench player of a team that goes like 5-7 or something similar. Does not seem like a sustainable endeavor for guys with that much money who want to track their ROI.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1