Coach O is Keeping Receipts...

NorthTexasWeLove

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

I realize Coach O’s “Like Prime says, We Keep Receipts” comment rubbed some fans the wrong way. It’s brash and cocky especially after a bad loss.

However after thinking on it, the message sent is not meant for us fans. It’s for the players to see, current and future. A rallying cry for those who are in the trenches taking Twitter grenades. A “Us vs the World” approach can have a positive motivating effect in the locker room. But it has to be followed by action and results, otherwise it’s just empty bravado. 

Only time will tell. GMG. 

Yeah, and I can see that as reality if he was at a program that had non-stop waves coming in from rival fans. It's us pissed, laughing in nervousness, concerned, and questioning it. No one else cares. So, once I realized that I knew this was 100% at fans. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Interesting take.  What results make you say that recruiting has improved?  We looked very slow and unathletic on the field Saturday against what should be mediocre competition.  Were we holding our good recruits for later in the season?

Well his job is to recruit the guys and create an atmosphere at UNT that kids want to be at, not coach/train them...

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

They should have hired Deon when he was at Jackson state 

The contract Dion signed at Colorado was for $29.5 million for 5 years.  There is no way we could have even gotten close.  Then after hiring him, his assistant coaches didn’t follow for nothing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, eagle73 said:

The contract Dion signed at Colorado was for $29.5 million for 5 years.  There is no way we could have even gotten close.  Then after hiring him, his assistant coaches didn’t follow for nothing.

We didn't even talk to him. He lives in TX, image what he could have done here in the metroplex. Oh well, that ship sailed and isn't coming back. I like Morris but his defense scares the shit out of me

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, p_phelps said:

We didn't even talk to him. He lives in TX, image what he could have done here in the metroplex. Oh well, that ship sailed and isn't coming back. I like Morris but his defense scares the shit out of me

Well, we have a lot of offensive commits right now for the 24 class. Silver lining to that is that they will have to portal up to fix it. Otherwise, it'll be plain ole neglect. 

I kept my receipts too, for parking and ticket. Feel like I should get a refund. 

In all seriousness on that front, I get that their mentality is 'results will only come from investment'.  Problem is, I invested alot more before, and there weren't results. Sometimes I think they should just figure out where they can win with what they have, consistently win for a good while there, and then maybe they can get investment to consistently win somewhere else. I don't take the basketball success in recent years for granted, but I'd much much rather have that success in football. Is their message, 'see we did it in basketball, so with more $ we can do it in football too'?  If so, I'm not really hearing that message or an explanation of why that would actually be the case.

How did TX State get TJ Finley?? Sure he failed expectations in the SEC, but you could tell he could succeed at other levels.

• Upvote 4

Coach O has been great for UNT recruiting AND for promoting the UNT brand.  We sit in Section 102 and it was full of recruits invited to the game.  I believe they even filled up the upper deck.  The guy knows what he’s doing.  The team needs to hold up their end to maximize O’s efforts.  GMG!   Beat FIU!

• Upvote 5

Just about every successful coach ever has probably felt similar to this early in their tenures when things go wrong and people doubted them.  It's just your Bear Bryant's didn't have twitter to vent on.

He blew off some steam, I'm not gonna worry about it and nobody else really should either.

That said, now we have "receipts" if things don't improve because you know if they don't this tweet will live in infamy.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, eagle73 said:

Of course this past offseason wasn't going to work.

But in December of 2021, when everyone & their dog knew Littrell wasn't going to pan out... maybe.

Instead, we got another year of Littrell for no reason, and Morris, instead.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Interesting take.  What results make you say that recruiting has improved?  We looked very slow and unathletic on the field Saturday against what should be mediocre competition.  Were we holding our good recruits for later in the season?

I'd be curious about this too. No one knows that coach O is a good recruiter yet. So far he's just active on twitter. Let's see results before we claim how great Coach O is. Us wanting him to be a good recruiter doesn't mean he is a good recruiter.

I wasn't offended by his "receipts" comment. I was embarrassed....for our university.

Imagine someone looking at that tweet that's not associated with UNT. They have to be thinking "LMAO....they get blown out and aren't even competitive and this clown gets on twitter and starts talking noise. YIKES."

I don't think the fans need to calm down.....seems like Coach O needs to calm down. And you know.....do his job better. I just thought is was embarrassing and made UNT look bad.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

On 9/4/2023 at 1:01 AM, C Rod said:

Look closer, my friend…

Texas State QB TJ Finley played one season at LSU and two at Auburn and lost the starting job at Auburn due to an injury. Finley appeared in 18 games (11 starts) during that time, throwing for 2,199 yards with 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Texas State took a chance on TJ in the Portal and boy it sure paid off against Baylor week 1, wouldn’t you say?

Ken Seals’ put up the same stats during his true freshman year in 9 games vs SEC defenses. (Note: Ken only played vs SEC teams due to Covid-19, no cupcake teams to pad the stats)

• 186-of-288 passing (64.6%) for 1,928 yards
• 214.2 passing yards/game
• 12 touchdowns against 10 interceptions

And just like TJ, Ken also lost his starting job due to injury. 

Granted,  you might be right given Alec Morris did not put up any stats at Alabama because he failed to ever win the job.  But given what I saw from the starter our Head Coach coached up and picked, I am not sure what will be able to get out of any QB prospect (with proven success in FBS or not).   

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

His short-sighted tweet, and as it sits, his awful football hire. Yeah, yeah,  it's 1 game. But that 1 game was absolutely terrible, and it's the only data point we have. 

The only data point?  You act like his only decision as AD has been who is our FB Coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The only data point?  You act like his only decision as AD has been who is our FB Coach.

I'm referecing his awful football hire only having 1 data point. 

Mosley's other hire of relevance was basketball. The cashier at your local 7/11 would've made the same decision. Though it still is his, and he should receive full credit for it when it pans out. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

35 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm referecing his awful football hire only having 1 data point. 

Mosley's other hire of relevance was basketball. The cashier at your local 7/11 would've made the same decision. Though it still is his, and he should receive full credit for it when it pans out. 

Mosley's "data points":

* Hired Hodge

* Held on to Coach Mac through the NIT

* Hired Morris

* Hired Calcatera

* Hired Burton

* DATCU naming rights.

* Better game day presentation on Saturday.  I give him bonus points for the elimination of the audio issues with the ref's mics.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1