Poll: who did we hire?

97and03

Dodge or Littrell?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who did we hire?

• Todd Dodge
    • Seth Litrrell

1 hour ago, keith said:

How about after two halves?   Did he look prepared to you?  Did he make the right decisions?  Did he put players in the right place to make plays?  Were football fundamentals we displayed acceptable?  Did he put us in a position to win?

Yeah I/we thought the first half was bad... I would have been fine with a 33-21 final score. But more turnovers than first downs in the second half... not even positive we accrued double digit yardage in the second half. Turrible.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, we need to take the next step and I think the admin really blew it by not bringing in Nick Saban or Kirby Smart to fix things.  As far as the defense, why did we not at least attempt to get Dan Quinn in here?  Look how much success he's had with the Cowboys!

In a related note, why has my posting gone down by significant amounts?  Because the board has pretty much become an asswhip (unless we win the NIT).  The same people that predict 9-3 and 10-2 records in the other thread wanna fire coaches after one game.  Really?!  

Yes, today sucked.  I was there and it was really bad. But, overreact much?  Now if the same crap happens against FIU and La Tech, then yes I will have flashbacks to Ron Mendoza.  Now if you'll excuse me I need to call the Texas Hammer or the Law Shark for a case of extreme whiplash from reading these different threads.

Edited by vpackrats
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3

21 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Today I watched an RB from Cal drag our defense 15 yards into the endzone for a TD. That is never tolerable. Not even in game one. 

That play told me 2 things absolutely for sure.

1) Yes, the 3-man defense is a horrible defense for us to be playing - it gives us very little chance to win.

2) Even though Cal is not a good P5 team, they have guys that are absolutely bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than our guys.  I don't like to admit it, but it is simply true.

The way their OL pushed our defense *at least* 15 yards into the end zone on a simple between-the-tackles run was so embarrassing and showed just how big a difference in strength there is in our lines.

But, kids get paid more to go to Cal than UNT, so not sure exactly what we're going to do about that.....

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Yeah I/we thought the first half was bad... I would have been fine with a 33-21 final score. But more turnovers than first downs in the second half... not even positive we accrued double digit yardage in the second half. Turrible.

The defense NEVER looked like they were comfortable or confident. They looked out of position and off balance the entire game. Terrible showing today. 

• Upvote 2

The obvious answer to the original question is Todd Dodge because of the defensive performance. However it was also very Seth Littrell because we played a team that wasn’t FCS or a bottom 10 team. And when Littrell played anyone but those teams not only did he never win but he always got blown out.  

So we got a little bit of BOTH today. 2 for 1. Sweet. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Absolutely. We just fired a coach that led us to a conference championship. Can we not assume we want to take the next step? 

Correction a conference championship game appearance but also a conference with no divisions.  Otherwise we aren't in the championship game to lose to the same old division rival twice. 🤦🏽‍♂️.  I no longer believe we want to take the next step.  They want to give the impression UNT does.  That is why Seth was allowed to chase mediocre all last season. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

A full rebuild? You acting like we're USF!!! This is NOT a full rebuild. 

Surely you jest! We had the ball for only 20 minutes and had 10 first downs. Our defense couldn't stop a pee wee  team. And if we are not USF we certainly played like the Bulls tonight. Give the program 2 to 3 years and we should be in good shape for the future.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Surely you jest! We had the ball for only 20 minutes and had 10 first downs. Our defense couldn't stop a pee wee  team. And if we are not USF we certainly played like the Bulls tonight. Give the program 2 to 3 years and we should be in good shape for the future.

So if this team needed a full rebuild why was Seth allowed to coach the entire regular season?  And I guess 50% or more on this board was okay with that as long as we were one game over 0.500.  I guess all the mediocity and blown big games of the previous seasons didn't matter. 🤷🏽‍♂️

9 hours ago, All About UNT said:

The wrong Incarnate Word coach....

image.png

I watched most of the 4th quarter of this game, so only after Texas st scored all their points.  By then Baylor was passing on every down trying to catchup, but Texas st was in a 3 man front (as you might expect) and sending extra guys to get to the qb.  They looked more cohesive, and they also actually got pressure.  Time will tell, as I don’t think Baylor is very good…but TxSt defense is ahead of ours.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, vpackrats said:

Yeah, we need to take the next step and I think the admin really blew it by not bringing in Nick Saban or Kirby Smart to fix things.  As far as the defense, why did we not at least attempt to get Dan Quinn in here?  Look how much success he's had with the Cowboys!

This is poor attempt to criticize people who want better.  A emotional dishonest description of what we were asking for.  Coach Sanders (which I assume you are referencing as the big name coach mentioned on this available while we committed to playing out mediocrity till the bitter end) until yesterday had no FBS coaching experience and by extension wasn't already at one of the best head coaching jobs in the country,  like Saban & Smart are.  But answer this; what is the reason that rival G5 programs younger than ours like UTSA, FAU and others hire coach with better resumes?  Let's list below for comparison 

Larry Coker

Lane Kiffin

Hugh Freeze 

Howard Schnellenberger

Willie Taggert

Butch Davis

The list could get a lot longer if I looked at all of G5 over the past 20s even omitting programs that have just gotten to a P5 conference the past 3 years. Mind you these are all coach ONLY hired by G5 FBS programs started in the last 25 years.  They all accepted their positions at these upstart programs while having resumes significantly better than anyone we’ve hired 25 years than Dan McCarney.  I don’t know if they blew it with this hire yet.  But we absolutely know that if they aimed higher for a coach with a resume rivaling the likes coaches above had at the time they were hired, UNT didn’t publicize it. And in this market, with a very tired fanbase is stupid. 

You want to continue to make excuses for this program and cite what it can’t do go right ahead if that makes you feel better.  It maybe even help give our administration and coaches the nice fuzzy hug of job security and low expectations.  But organizations and people who always talk about what they can’t do rarely achieve anything great. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

So if this team needed a full rebuild why was Seth allowed to coach the entire regular season?  And I guess 50% or more on this board was okay with that as long as we were one game over 0.500.  I guess all the mediocity and blown big games of the previous seasons didn't matter. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I can only surmise that if Seth had beaten Boise in the Frisco Bowl Wren wouldn't have fired him. Otherwise his dismissal would have occurred after the UTSA loss.

12 minutes ago, wardly said:

I can only surmise that if Seth had beaten Boise in the Frisco Bowl Wren wouldn't have fired him. Otherwise his dismissal would have occurred after the UTSA loss.

He didn't coach the Boise State game.  He was fired after losing to UTSA the second time in the CUSA Championship game.  He really should have been fired after 2021 season ended with the bowl loss to Miami Ohio.  His last win over UTSA in a miserable wet Apogee/DATCU staduim was a fluke.  I enjoyed it in the moment but everyone not recognizing it as a fluke after the followup bowl loss were lying to themselves.  🤷🏽‍♂️

16 hours ago, Victorygreen04 said:

What does "an RB" mean?

It means a running back. And, the point is that as a fan base, we cannot tolerate this type of failure. 

Morris better have our guys ready to run up the scores on the road against LA Tech and FIU, or attendance at DATCU will be very sparce when we return to play ACU.