North Texas Adds 6 Games for Future

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Alabama plays Chattanooga. 

They also play in a much better conference so SOS is not an issue and are viewed as an elite program. We need strong OOC games as opportunities to prove ourselves. We are not the same and our obstacles are not the same. 

This is a terrible comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Alabama doesn't have to. 

We better start taking parts of the 1970/80s FSU model into some consideration. They played whoever, whenever and started turning heads as they started winning those games as an independent. They forged a place for themselves. I recommend us needing to play the very best G5 teams we can schedule and the very best P5 home and homes we can snag. I wouldn't be heartbroke if we did a roadie P5 game here and there as well vs what is considered winnable programs. But what we're doing is sort of settling into our place in the fake pecking order and putting flyers out and being content with whoever calls back. That's not really the way to do this. 

Actually, this is how it’s done. We think about Boise or TCU winning games against bigger brand opponents but almost every year they played FCS teams. 

The only team I remember doing this was Fresno and for a two year stretch where they had a few big upsets and got some publicity but then lost games in the MWC and didn’t build on it. Then their teams got worse and they started getting smoked. Check out Fresno 2014. 

If you think we should go back to playing ranked opponents, that’s a different argument. 

Edited by meanrob

1 hour ago, TripleGrad said:

Because schools are judged by the schools they choose to play.  UNT will never elevate itself if it keeps playing SFA, Tarleton, Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist and the like.

So, because Alabama has chosen to play Chattanooga and Mercer in the next two years, what aspersions should we cast their way?    They have, after all, "chosen to play" those programs. 

17 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Got us moved up to the American. Built an IPF. Top notch athletic center hopefully on the horizon. 

Haha come on, man...2 winning seasons in 6 years is not why all of that was accomplished. All those things happened because of the hard work from Wren, Smatresk, our top donors, and probably Mosely. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

They also play in a much better conference so SOS is not an issue and are viewed as an elite program. We need strong OOC games as opportunities to prove ourselves. We are not the same and our obstacles are not the same. 

This is a terrible comparison.

This is not college basketball. This is football. The chance SOS comes in to play in minimal. The goal should be to win conference and win a bowl. The comparison is making a point that all 100+ FBS teams schedule a FCS or lower lever FBS team every year. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Agree to disagree. I am not saying it is the only reason. But if Seth never made a bowl in his tenure and never had a winning record I think there is a chence we would still be in CUSA. 

Two really good years under Litrell, and neither one of those came with a conference championship or a bowl win. We lost both of those bowls big too and not to P5 schools, 50-30 and 52-13. I love UNT, but we have to look at things in a realistic light.  Respectfully, our location, school size, alumni size, and investment into athletics/facilities were our driving factors into the AAC. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Haha come on, man...2 winning seasons in 6 years is not why all of that was accomplished. All those things happened because of the hard work from Wren, Smatresk, our top donors, and probably Mosely. 

You are right man. Nothing to do with the product on the field. 

Come on, guys!  Give me a break!  I've got somewhere between five minutes and five years left on planet Earth!  And, here you are scheduling us to go to the other team first.  The odds are that I won't still be alive for the return visit.  How about scheduling home first?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This is not college basketball. This is football. The chance SOS comes in to play in minimal. The goal should be to win conference and win a bowl. The comparison is making a point that all 100+ FBS teams schedule a FCS or lower lever FBS team every year. 

With the expanded CFP, the 6 highest ranked conference champs getting in, and the inevitable collapse of the PAC, SOS matters even more. There is no automatic bid for champions like basketball. It's all based on perception. 6 highest ranked champions with the rankings being determined by the committee's opinion. The PAC collapse/impeding MWC merger actually frees up a conference champion spots after the assumed top 4 of SEC, BIG10, BIG12, and ACC. There are 2 of the 6 conference champ spots up for grabs. Now is not the time to ease up on the OOC schedule.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Come on, guys!  Give me a break!  I've got somewhere between five minutes and five years left on planet Earth!  And, here you are scheduling us to go to the other team first.  The odds are that I won't still be alive for the return visit.  How about scheduling home first?

This is the only proper complaint in this whole thread. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

Hmmm. I don't hate-hate it, but I am also not impressed by any of these 6 games.

I am fairly certain that it is no coincidence that they put all 6 games/ 4 series out there together on friday afternoon when the college football world is completely absorbed elsewhere. Talk about a news dump. That indicates they too know these are not games that will excite any of the stakeholders, rather just games that give certainty to the schedule and bring in beatable opponents.

Edited by outoftown

1 hour ago, TripleGrad said:

Because schools are judged by the schools they choose to play.

Do you think P5 schools are judged for choosing to play us?

Every school schedules teams below it in the college football hierarchy. As long as that's not all we are scheduling I don't see the problem.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

You are right man. Nothing to do with the product on the field. 

Do you think 0 winning seasons and a 21-28 record since 2019 was a big selling point for us? We got into the American because of our location and commitment to facilities. Not because of anything we've done on the field. Nothing wrong with admitting that. 

6 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Do you think 0 winning seasons and a 21-28 record since 2019 was a big selling point for us? We got into the American because of our location and commitment to facilities. Not because of anything we've done on the field. Nothing wrong with admitting that. 

3 bowls and Conference Title game appearance since 2019. 

• Upvote 1

Some of the HSO’s in this thread would indicate that some of you have never looked at other teams schedules…or even our own past schedules.  I know things have changed, but basically every “big name” opponent we played before, I don’t know, let’s say 2015, is equivalent to us playing Tarleton.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So you're saying a four year stretch of losing football that saw our fanbase abandon the program and our coach fired was impressive to the AAC? Okay, then. 

Interesting how y’all are flipping views when talking about the same stretch of football.

I don’t know if winning football was what JD was referring to when he brought up bowls. You might consider that it is a matter of visibility.

We tease the media about it, but we might thank them for putting lipstick on our pig so we can look good on camera. It’s like the average football fan tuning into our national broadcast wouldn’t know about our negatives, and they don’t care enough (like the choir does on this board) to dissect the situation.

19 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Some the HSO’s in this thread would indicate that some of you have never looked at other teams schedules…or even our own past schedules.  I know things have changed, but basically every “big name” opponent we played before, I don’t know, let’s say 2015, is equivalent to us playing Tarleton.

We've got to stop looking at the past as indicators of what's ok moving forward. Things have changed so much. We have a new expanded 12 team playoff. For the first time in the history of college football, UNT gets a legitimate chance at a national championship starting in 2024. It starts with being one of the 6 highest ranked conference champions as determined by the committee and that starts with strong strength of schedules which does NOT start with North Alabama and Tarleton.

Speaking of the 6 highest ranked conference champions, I wonder what will break first: the NCAA or the mega conferences. These PAC schools are reducing their chances at a playoff spot in exchange for more money, albeit a significant increase in money. At which point do some of these rich programs like Oregon, USC, and UCLA realize they're better off in a renewed PAC for less money if it means getting the ultimate glory? Or will the networks convince the NCAA to change that rule about the 6 highest ranked conference champions getting automatic playoff bids?

Edited by GMG_Dallas

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

You were literally the first person that came to mind when jayD started this thread, @GrayEagle

GMG

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Tarlton and North Alabama?

Where is North Alabama?  And if you tell me it's in Northern Alabama I'm gonna "virtually" punch you in the mouth!

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

Allen High would bring a crowd, maybe we can get them on the schedule too?

I don’t know, it may just be me?  But imo any school that has recently invested funding to renovate their stadium, which they have sold out nearly every game recently, every fall attempts to surpass its sister school by building this big of a bonfire every year, and who went out and acquired its own 3-inch M1902 Field Gun with matching caisson…. probably brings a good crowd to Denton and will be looking to steal our lunch money.

70325DCF-7153-45BC-A8E3-30175F50B695.jpeg

28B15B95-3A50-4BC7-8A3A-AEB7AF3C4CA8.jpeg

8687F935-5A77-4F7E-A642-405303FB21B6.jpeg

This isn’t my grandmother’s Tarleton State University anymore.  Maybe Phil and Jeff would like to join the rest of us in the 21st century?  I hear it has a great, new groove.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

People that wanna complain about this need to chill. Every school has filler scheduled every year. Better than bringing Portland State (too soon?)

Right everyone does it.  This isn’t good for Football in general beyond just UNT.   Playing FCS is just a financial transaction masked as a legit football game.  If a FCS game is the way we get a 7th home game I understand and approve but that has yet to happen. 

• Upvote 1