Commits and Cautious Optimism

Seems like we're doing a lot of good work on the recruiting front, which is great. 

My question is how excited should we be about commits ? Do I get jacked that they committed? Or am I praying every night until that first December signing period? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

In todays age signin means "jack shit" . They can hit portal 25 mins later. 

to be fair this is basically what the professional job market is lol 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Everything is meaningless. Just enjoy the ride

This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

8 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

That what I am saying. Enjoy the recruiting activity. No need sabotaging every commitment thread with "OMg cALl Me iN DeCeMbeR WhEn hE SIgNs" 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That what I am saying. Enjoy the recruiting activity. No need sabotaging every commitment thread with "OMg cALl Me iN DeCeMbeR WhEn hE SIgNs" 

We have a small army of guys who like to come here and share time together venting about the same frustrations.  a bond, if you will.  If they already know it (posting here) won't fix anything, nor change anyone else's mind, is there any other reason they'd do it?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

It cracks me up how upset some people get when recruits back out of their commitment. The portal/NIL has changed the way recruiting works. Oh to bad, we lost a HS kid. I guess we will have to replace them with a guy that played meaningful snaps at an FCS or P5.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

12 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Players come here and especially after they commit and interviewed. Its just annoying seeing thread after thread derailed. We had one Kid decommit for Duke. One kids from the East Coach decommit for UCONN. One kid decomitt because he got a big 12 offer and we act like the sky is falling. All while locking in some out best commits the last decade. it give me a head ache 

I hear you and agree and I am also one that hates the new "system".  I think my greatest issue is how these kids write an essay about how thankful they are for the opportunity, appreciative of every coach, teacher and relative that have supported them along the way, shout out to the posse, etc... when they announce a commitment. 

Then, a couple weeks later when someone else comes along, they post a tweet about being in long discussions with advisors, family members and girlfriends and taking sabbaticals of extensive prayer and deep thought with God, etc and then announce they are de-committing and ask for understanding and to respect their decision.  Be up front and honest.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I hear you and agree and I am also one that hates the new "system".  I think my greatest issue is how these kids write an essay about how thankful they are for the opportunity, appreciative of every coach, teacher and relative that have supported them along the way, shout out to the posse, etc... when they announce a commitment. 

Then, a couple weeks later when someone else comes along, they post a tweet about being in long discussions with advisors, family members and girlfriends and taking sabbaticals of extensive prayer and deep thought with God, etc and then announce they are de-committing and ask for understanding and to respect their decision.  Be up front and honest.

You are describing a teenager.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Seems like we're doing a lot of good work on the recruiting front, which is great. 

My question is how excited should we be about commits ? Do I get jacked that they committed? Or am I praying every night until that first December signing period? 

I say it is reason for excitement. Sure gives you a better shot at signing the kid than if they commit somewhere else. Also, building recruiting momentum helps. Other recruits take notice.

And as JayD said, signing a big recruit doesn’t guarantee you’re going to keep them past a season anyways. But if the coaches build the right culture you have a much better shot at keeping your guys, especially when there is no coaching change. Same thing applies to commits.

• Upvote 2

Sadly, the term "commitment" has changed in regards to college athletes in recent years.  It used to mean committed to school, then team, then as an alum.  Now, it seems only committed to oneself.  

However, on a positive note, the quality of contacts and commitments this year appear to be an upgrade.  The new coaching staff, and new conference, has attracted better overall athletes and from quality high school programs.  

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Players come here and especially after they commit and interviewed. Its just annoying seeing thread after thread derailed. We had one Kid decommit for Duke. One kids from the East Coach decommit for UCONN. One kid decomitt because he got a big 12 offer and we act like the sky is falling. All while locking in some out best commits the last decade. it give me a head ache 

Understand completely

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have a small army of guys who like to come here and share time together venting about the same frustrations.  a bond, if you will.  If they already know it (posting here) won't fix anything, nor change anyone else's mind, is there any other reason they'd do it?

I feel like we need to start calling them out.  I get that we need to be real about things but their negativity borders on the absurd.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sorry, fairy stupid reply. A lot of us were taught to honor commitments. Kids can change their minds, but a lot of 17/18-year-olds honor the commitments they make.

So is there or isn’t there a lot of guys changing their commitments? Or are y’all just saying parents now don’t teach their children about honoring their commitments? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Not in sports. Especially, for pro athletes. I imagine at some point, college players will have to sign contracts stipulating when they can transfer and/or how much the program is owed if they do transfer. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

So is there or isn’t there a lot of guys changing their commitments? Or are y’all just saying parents now don’t teach their children about honoring their commitments? 

It's the "me" generation.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1