Athletics State of the Department is Tonight

MCMLXXX

20 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I’ll start.  

A good crowd.  There was light food and soft drinks.  The bar may have been open.  Jared spoke about a lot of things green but mostly about our move to the AAC.  It will come as no surprise that we need more scholarship donors and season ticket purchasers.  He said that if we could get 2,000 fans to purchase season tickets at $25 that our bottom line would improve as far as number of donors and number of season tickets sold.  We are at the we bottom of number of donors in the AAC.  

No baseball until the Athketuc center is enlarged.  We don’t have room for the 75 total athletes (men and women) adding baseball would require.

He talked about parking problems and said too many fans were trying to arrive at the stadium 30 minutes prior to kickoff.  

Jared would not say who the new stadium naming was but that everyone would like it.  Announcement to be made in July.  

It was a pleasant evening seeing green friends.

PS…The new AAC logos have been cut out and laid on the turf as well as a much improved Texas cutout on a darker green field with the diving eagle in the center.  Looks great.

Did Jared offer any solutions (other than the 2,000 fans buying $25 season tickets (per game ?).  Did anyone in the audience offer suggestions?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, untphd said:

He might be referring to the NCAA's Transformation Committee want ing to increase baseball, but also having to increase a women's sport.

Or what?  There is no stated female/male requirements for the number of teams or athletes at a NCAA school.   Only title IX which mandates equal access by the sexes to sports.  Because of the large numbers of players needed for football, most schools have taken the easier path and basically eliminated men sports to get compliance ratios. 

It is an incredibly stupid rule, that does not take economic issues, attendance, fan interest or participation rates into consideration.  

What college's fear are individual lawsuits of females suing for lack of equal opportunity not sanctions from the NCAA.  I have wondered why males don't sue for equal access to sports other than football and basketball.   

I believe this is just an excuse on the part of NT not to fund baseball.   Many schools have added bowling, rowing, sand volleyball and like sports to balance the addition of baseball.  I doubt NT would even have to do that.   

The real reason for no baseball, is that it is a really expensive sport.   Travel, coaching, scholarships, equipments are continuing cost, but where are the millions necessary for a suitable baseball stadium going to come from.    

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I don't see how $50K can make all well?

Neither does Jared.  According to GreenJoe, if he is paraphrasing accurately, Jared said it would improve the bottom line.

If I had to guess, that's just an initial goal.  The way to summit a mountain is take that first step.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

2,000 (tickets) x $25.00 per ticket x 6 (games) = $300,000 ?

I wasn’t in attendance.  Just going by previous posts.  $300K seems like a low bar.

$25 per game x6 for a season ticket makes more sense than just $25 for a season ticket.  It's still ridiculously low for an FBS season ticket.  $25 won't get you parking for a single game at some places.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Please read my previous post.  

Jared said 2,000 fans buying season tickets at the insanely low price of $25 per season ticket would mean we have 2,000 more donors and we’ve sold 2,000 more season tickets.  Jared even asked fans THAT HAVE NO INTENTION OF GOING TO THE GAMES to help in this very easy and inexpensive way.  It’s not about money.  It’s about the number of donors and number of season tickets sold.  

Does anyone have $25 they could spend on season tickets ??

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’ll tell you what.  I will buy two sets of $25 season tickets and give them away to neighbors or my officers on a game by game basis to put two more people in the seats each game.  Who else is willing to do the same?  

He’ll, I’ll buy the two season tickets and donate them to Emmitt so he can give them to the men in his police department or whomever he would like.  Emmitt, is that doable? If so, who else is with me?

• Upvote 7

47 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Jared said 2,000 fans buying season tickets at the insanely low price of $25 per season ticket would mean we have 2,000 more donors and we’ve sold 2,000 more season tickets.  Jared even asked fans THAT HAVE NO INTENTION OF GOING TO THE GAMES to help in this very easy and inexpensive way.  It’s not about money.  It’s about the number of donors and number of season tickets sold.  

That is an insanely low price, $25 per season ticket. 

But part of making the pitch is to make it easy for Mr. New Fan to find and obtain the offer.  Try it.  How long does it take you to get to the page where $25 season tickets are offered? (hint: I couldn't find it).

The current lowest season ticket that I could find on the on-line website is $80, and it took 2 minutes to get to that page.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Got a link? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

He’ll, I’ll buy the two season tickets and donate them to Emmitt so he can give them to the men in his police department or whomever he would like.  Emmitt, is that doable? If so, who else is with me?

Let me know the link. Hell, I would be in for 4 at this point. Its not like I am going to be able to make any games from Ohio anyways,

• Upvote 1

I reached out to the athletic department for some clarification on this thread.

MGSF needs more engagement.  Getting people in the boat matters, whether it’s a 1,000 new people contributing to MGSF at a minimum of $25/year or fans buying 2 of the cheapest season tickets offered.  Of course the athletic department wants to maximize revenues, but getting people engaged and excited about their university is the end game.  Revenues will grow with deeper connection but to get downstream you first have to get in the boat.

MGSF minimum is $25. 

Lowest FB season tickets are $80
Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I believe this is just an excuse on the part of NT not to fund baseball.

Baseball is a money pit. Do you need Jared to tell you that? With how low our ticket sales numbers and our donor participation is in general, why add Baseball? The truth is, we just can’t afford it right now.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

MGSF needs more engagement.  Getting people in the boat matters, whether it’s a 1,000 new people contributing to MGSF at a minimum of $25/year or fans buying 2 of the cheapest season tickets offered whether they attend or not…those are numbers that count in our totals.  Of course the athletic department wants to maximize revenues, but getting people engaged and excited about their university is the end game.  Revenues will grow with deeper connection but to get downstream you first have to get in the boat.

MGSF minimum is $25. 

Not trying to be critical but if someone signs up for $25 what engagement do they get besides emails? 

This is the problem that has plagued the MGC or MGSF. People sign up, don’t feel like they’re getting anything to be part of something. The AD puts on events and gets frustrated by the lack of engagement and doesn’t feel like it’s worth it in time and money. Both parties have a legitimate gripe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

MGSF needs more engagement.  Getting people in the boat matters, whether it’s a 1,000 new people contributing to MGSF at a minimum of $25/year or fans buying 2 of the cheapest season tickets offered.  Of course the athletic department wants to maximize revenues, but getting people engaged and excited about their university is the end game.  Revenues will grow with deeper connection but to get downstream you first have to get in the boat.

MGSF minimum is $25. 

So, there is not a $25 season ticket?   

• Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

These are age old problems at NT.  Fan apathy. Donor apathy.  That said it helps a lot when football wins real meaningful games. To the AD's credit we have nice facilities and paid our Football staff close to the top of the conference and we have a lot of embarrasing losses to show for it.  

• Upvote 1