Gumms commits to Arkansas

Hunter Green

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... and he wasnt even as successful as Gumms.

I agreed with your post up to this point.  But Roberts had been a clear star at TE for a couple of years now.  Most of us had been wondering why Gumms rarely even saw the field until this past season, and he finally seemed to be really coming into his own toward the latter part of the season.  He definitely flashed tremendous potential both as a blocker and as a receiver, but Roberts was far more proven.

Anyways, I hate to see three very impressive tight ends leave via the portal for P5s.  It looks like we get to recruit and develop these players, and then P5s get to reap our harvest.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I agreed with your post up to this point.  But Roberts had been a clear star at TE for a couple of years now.  Most of us had been wondering why Gumms rarely even saw the field until this past season, and he finally seemed to be really coming into his own toward the latter part of the season.  He definitely flashed tremendous potential both as a blocker and as a receiver, but Roberts was far more proven.

Anyways, I hate to see three very impressive tight ends leave via the portal for P5s.  It looks like we get to recruit and develop these players, and then P5s get to reap our harvest.

I dunno about "far more proven."
Easy way to compare productivity:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4432531/jake-roberts
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4583089/var'keyes-gumms

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Okay.

Roberts - 43 catches, 549 yards, 3 TDs

Gumms - 34 catches, 458 yards, 5 TDs

And for TEs, blocking is a not just one of those "extra things" that WRs might do, it is a central part of their job, and Roberts was a very solid blocker.  Not that Gumms looked like a slouch, either, but Roberts brought a bigger body to the line.  They both obviously were getting offers from top P5s, probably Roberts a little more than Gumms.  I just fail to see where "Roberts wasn't even as successful as Gumms."  Are you just going by the 5 TDs to 3?

And I suppose I have to take back when I said, "I agreed with your post up to this point."  I don't agree with trashing players when they head out the door; but at the same time, I don't have any real reason to doubt that what some insiders here have said about Gumms is true.  Should we make up stuff about Roberts just to make it even?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Okay.

Roberts - 43 catches, 549 yards, 3 TDs

Gumms - 34 catches, 458 yards, 5 TDs

And for TEs, blocking is a not just one of those "extra things" that WRs might do, it is a central part of their job, and Roberts was a very solid blocker.  Not that Gumms looked like a slouch, either, but Roberts brought a bigger body to the line.  They both obviously were getting offers from top P5s, probably Roberts a little more than Gumms.  I just fail to see where "Roberts wasn't even as successful as Gumms."  Are you just going by the 5 TDs to 3?

And I suppose I have to take back when I said, "I agreed with your post up to this point."  I don't agree with trashing players when they head out the door; but at the same time, I don't have any real reason to doubt that what some insiders here have said about Gumms is true.  Should we make up stuff about Roberts just to make it even?

Roberts had more run in his True Freshman season so his catch/yards stats are higher.   Both are great players, don't get me wrong.  We were going to have a glut of great TE's, kinda like our RB stable, but in the end, I believe Gumms' ceiling was higher, and he proved that in 2022.   Unfortunately, we won't get to see either of them achieve their ceilings wearing Green, and that stinks.

And as for this rumor of him being a bad teammate...  Are we trying to say we can never have a player who is full of himself on the team... ever?   Kinda knocks down the player pool a little!  😂
And if we want to speculate some, I might say Roberts saw the writing on the wall that Gumms will be TE1 here moving forward (based on his pass-catching and playmaking ability, coupled with Morris' offensive style of not really needing that blocking TE), and decided to leave, hence, why he showed up in the Portal much earlier than Gumms.   That would most definitely "me-first" behavior that is reprehensible to some around here.
I think that has about as much validity/probability as Gumms' presence in the lockerroom being so horrible that the coaches encouraged him to take a hike... yet he somehow ends up on a SEC roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Roberts had more run in his True Freshman season so his catch/yards stats are higher.   Both are great players, don't get me wrong.  We were going to have a glut of great TE's, kinda like our RB stable, but in the end, I believe Gumms' ceiling was higher, and he proved that in 2022.   Unfortunately, we won't get to see either of them achieve their ceilings wearing Green, and that stinks.

And as for this rumor of him being a bad teammate...  Are we trying to say we can never have a player who is full of himself on the team... ever?   Kinda knocks down the player pool a little!  😂
And if we want to speculate some, I might say Roberts saw the writing on the wall that Gumms will be TE1 here moving forward (based on his pass-catching and playmaking ability, coupled with Morris' offensive style of not really needing that blocking TE), and decided to leave, hence, why he showed up in the Portal much earlier than Gumms.   That would most definitely "me-first" behavior that is reprehensible to some around here.
I think that has about as much validity/probability as Gumms' presence in the lockerroom being so horrible that the coaches encouraged him to take a hike... yet he somehow ends up on a SEC roster.

Roberts left almost immediately after the bowl game. It isn’t like he had Morris and Co. sour on him. All indications are that he was a model teammate while at UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

Decommitted from Arkansas. Sounds like he was trying to start a bidding war and they weren’t having it.

This guy was one of my favorite players, but it sounds like he might be an🫏

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hogfan14 said:

Decommitted from Arkansas. Sounds like he was trying to start a bidding war and they weren’t having it.

Head case.  Kid my end up with nowhere to go after burning these bridges.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, Hogfan14 said:

Sucks to hear. Either the kid is getting very bad guidance or just blinded by getting a payday. Either way, hope he learns from this experience. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2023 at 5:15 PM, Andrew said:

Let him sit on the bench and be worthless. Portal is a joke and honestly makes me care less about players we bring in as a well….

On 4/24/2023 at 5:43 PM, NT80 said:

The portal has allowed players to just quit and leave instead of working harder in many cases.  I can more understand if a player is 4th string and wants a new start somewhere for better opportunity.  Or perhaps in this case where a new coaching staff comes in and might not use TE the way Seth did?  I don't know what the original intent of the portal was, but like NIL, it has morphed into something not good for college sports!

….To me NIL and portal gripes have highlighted what turns me off from revenue College Sports.  It was all good when millionaire coaches were hoping from job to job paid several times more than deans, department heads, and well respected Ph D professors.  Who cares if the players get nothing but a liberal Arts, General Studies, BS and wreck their bodies.  Until the NCAA or another governing body has substantially more revenue sharing and decision making power over all of FBS it will be messy.  And it has been very messy since the dissolution of CFA.  UCLA and Maryland are about to be in the same conference.  NOBODY wanted that a decade ago because it is logically ridiculous.  But now we are all but hurt talented players are trying to maximize their opportunities also.  🙄

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

….To me NIL and portal gripes have highlighted what turns me off from revenue College Sports.  It was all good when millionaire coaches were hoping from job to job paid several times more than deans, department heads, and well respected Ph D professors.  Who cares if the players get nothing but a liberal Arts, General Studies, BS and wreck their bodies.  Until the NCAA or another governing body has substantially more revenue sharing and decision making power over all of FBS it will be messy.  And it has been very messy since the dissolution of CFA.  UCLA and Maryland are about to be in the same conference.  NOBODY wanted that a decade ago because it is logically ridiculous.  But now we are all but hurt talented players are trying to maximize their opportunities also.  🙄

I think you will notice that most of the disdain is towards players like Gumms that haven’t conducted this on a completely honest basis.   Goes on a NT podcast and says he is staying only to enter the portal a week or two later, commits to Arkansas after shopping himself around and then bails on them. Be a man of your word and learn how to conduct yourself instead of being wishy-washy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, untphd said:

Decommiting, decommitment is the new thing. It is happening at the all of the schools and gaining momentum. The more you read about in the paper the more normal it becomes. It is not a good thing , but is a thing now.

Agreed, and unless you are SMU with money to burn there is not much you can do.  I choose not to worry about to too much.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think you will notice that most of the disdain is towards players like Gumms that haven’t conducted this on a completely honest basis.   Goes on a NT podcast and says he is staying only to enter the portal a week or two later, commits to Arkansas after shopping himself around and then bails on them. Be a man of your word and learn how to conduct yourself instead of being wishy-washy. 

I absolutely get that.  My advice to any young man is talk less and listen more.  I had that issue with this guy in particular but I am over it.  Don’t care about getting updates chiefly because of the way he left.  And updates on guys like Siggers make us sound like jilted incels fans of college football at NT.     

But like I said before off the field college football has been an unsavory duplicitous mess since Fry left and NT dropped down to FCS (I-AA) because they didn’t have the resources to “play dirty”.   None of the powers that be ruining College Football will give up power or 2 nickels of revenue to make the sport better.  And everything up to wanton blatant disregard of player safety is up for sale for the right price. (And the safety thing is also tied to revenue because they could be sued.  Without that and public outrage college players could probably be hitting people like Nightrain Lane and Deacon Jones did back in day).  They would send Alabama & Ohio State to play an October Wednesday night game In Australia if they NFL playoff game revenue from it by doing so with no other options to get close to that money.  Knowing that is very hard for me to maintain any ill will toward these 18-22 years olds for more than a week or two after they transfer. 🤷🏽‍♂️

4 hours ago, untphd said:

Decommiting, decommitment is the new thing. It is happening at the all of the schools and gaining momentum. The more you read about in the paper the more normal it becomes. It is not a good thing , but is a thing now.

That is society in general right now.   People don't stay in jobs, relationships, anything.  No patience, no work ethic, want it now...not later.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1