Where's Tylor Perry This Weekend?

SUMG

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

College sports has just turned into "play for pay".  Highest bidder wins.  That's not what amateur athletics was meant to be.

Exactly! I would have a difficult time having my son take a dime knowing how wrong it is. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 3

53 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Exactly! I would have a difficult time having my som take a dime knowing how wrong it is. 

good for you....for me, i would love for my kid to bank a bunch of cash while getting his education paid for....nothing wrong with that.

random, but i assume you are still working that same sped job you had in denton at the same school years and years ago?  would hate for you to change your commitment to a school and show your disloyalty

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

49 minutes ago, NT80 said:

College sports has just turned into "play for pay".  Highest bidder wins.  That's not what amateur athletics was meant to be.

Those of us that were against NIL, pre-NIL, knew that it was a slippery slope and it would be abused the moment it came to be. The abuse is beyond the imagination of what I thought it would be. It's criminal. The idea of Name, Image and Likeness and its intent has been spun into exactly that, pay for play. It's not autograph signings and appearances, etc. as it was pitched. You know, because, "I can't even afford toothpaste because of practice". Bag men are out of jobs and involved donors a la our Rick Villarreal, are collecting money into a slush fund and distributing it as coaches dictate them to. Highest bidder wins. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

It's like Jimmy Stewart in "It's a wonderful life" where old man Potter has turned his sweet town into trashy Pottersville.  College sports now has become like Smut's days of paying players illegally, but now it's over the top of that even.  Blatant tampering and luring players away for cash; no autograph signings and appearances needed!  No coaches or programs put on tampering probation. The NCAA = Pottersville!

Spot on. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

yeah... it stopped being amateur athletics probably 40 years ago, when the revenue generated pushed into the millions of dollars

• Upvote 6

I will say it again. If they choose to move on, then so be it, but the number of people wanting to follow every step of a player who does not want to be here tells you a hell of a lot about some of our fanbase. And we wonder why alumni support is so shabby when even a lot of what we consider die-hards care more about the "who" than the school.

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 6

53 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I will say it again. If they choose to move on, then so be it, but the number of people wanting to follow every step of a player who does not want to be here tells you a hell of a lot about some of our fanbase. And we wonder why alumni support is so shabby when even a lot of what we consider die-hards care more about the "who" than the school.

What a bunch of BS! The transfer portal has definitely raised the interest in transfers. In BB it will become more important than HS players. I wish all players that transfer the best and I hope it is a P5 and they are getting some good NIL dollars. 

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, Wag Tag said:

What a bunch of BS! The transfer portal has definitely raised the interest in transfers. In BB it will become more important than HS players. I wish all players that transfer the best and I hope it is a P5 and they are getting some good NIL dollars. 

So it's BS that I think UNT fans should focus on the players we have and those coming in versus those who don't want to be here? You are entitled to your opinion. 

• Upvote 6
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 5

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So it's BS that I think UNT fans should focus on the players we have and those coming in versus those who don't want to be here? You are entitled to your opinion. 

Cherry picking? You left out the the fan base and shabby alumni. I know what I am entitled to. Absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why can’t you be interested in seeing where our former players end up while also maintaining interest in our current and future players?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Why can’t you be interested in seeing where our former players end up while also maintaining interest in our current and future players?

My only connection to them is they play(ed) for the school I graduated from.  When they choose to move on before they graduate and go to another school, that's their choice, and I hope it works out for them, but not something I think should be followed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I follow the young fella on Twitter. I'm not chasing down inside information here. It just rolled into my feed this afternoon. 

I got into a debate with someone on here last week and he was saying that money is not THE deciding factor. Though he was and is right, but he couldn't or wouldn't fathom that money sits at the apex of variables. 

TP cleared it up for us today. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So every time we get solid, productive players to Denton, and they are all-everything, shoot lights out, and are instrumental in getting us another super season or two, y’all are OK with them moving on to another school for money because that’s how the game is now played?  Am I correct?

Well I’m not OK with it!  Long-term NT will never survive.

Of course I'm not OK with and you're right, it will ultimately relegate us and our peers to a farm system. Something must be done. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So every time we get solid, productive players to Denton, and they are all-everything, shoot lights out, and are instrumental in getting us another super season or two, y’all are OK with them moving on to another school for money because that’s how the game is now played?  Am I correct?

Well I’m not OK with it!  Long-term NT will never survive.

I am not either and the ones who claim to be are being disingenuous.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1