Coach Morris on the Transfer Portal

TheReal_jayD

19 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Great quote? Are we so sure he wasn't misquoted?

"We’ll feel some holes in the roster in the second cycle that starts on April 15th. "

Are we sure this wasn't supposed to be "fill some holes"? It is a totally different meaning.

Sometimes you want to feel 'em before filling 'em.  Just sayin'.

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

• Haha 5

Real question is how successful is our NIL collective group internally? Dykes’ describes some of the challenges in a recent ESPN article, and so does Kiffin…both talked about kids’ fluidity in and out of the roster and campus do to the portal …our collective will need to compete this season as well…

GMG

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I remember back in the day when transferring schools you had to worry about classes counting at the school.  Is that still a thing?  Been out of the loop for a long time.  

Maybe there's a Vice President of Course Credit Transfer.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Gen Ed courses should not be much of a problem, generally.  Major courses may be more of a proble.  This is especially true if the major is accredited by a specialty group.  Graduate transfers will have to be accepted into the appropriate graduate program.  These decisions will be made by the academic side of the house.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Graddean said:

Gen Ed courses should not be much of a problem, generally.  Major courses may be more of a proble.  This is especially true if the major is accredited by a specialty group.  Graduate transfers will have to be accepted into the appropriate graduate program.  These decisions will be made by the academic side of the house.

With the number of classes online, how many classes do most players attend "in person"? I remember Coach Morris commenting how they wanted to have morning workouts and would be working to change the players' schedules around where possible to accommodate. Online classes provide a lot of flexibility. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I love this quote! 

“Rosters are so fluid these days,” North Texas head coach Eric Morris said. “You’re going to lose some people, and we’re going to gain some people. I don’t have the energy or the time to worry about kids who don’t want to be here. We’ll feel some holes in the roster in the second cycle that starts on April 15th. 

for full article: 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/04/12/transfer-portal-impacts-spring-practice-dates-evaluation-across-college-football?ref=home_feature_article

Love this mentality, Seth seemed to be the opposite way and blame others instead of taking ownership and moving on.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With the number of classes online, how many classes do most players attend "in person"? I remember Coach Morris commenting how they wanted to have morning workouts and would be working to change the players' schedules around where possible to accommodate. Online classes provide a lot of flexibility. 

I don't understand offering so many courses online.  I mean, I do...but what's the point of all this brick and mortar going forward if all (or a majority) of your classes are online?  How will we get parents and students to fork over tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?

Personally, I think online should be offered by technical and community colleges only.  Brick and mortar, 4 year traditional colleges and universities should prioritize the in-person teacher access and specialized nuance to the education you get from their programs and professors.

Maybe this belongs in the eagles nest, but I'd love someone to explain the strategy to me.  If online courses are still granting access to teachers in the same way (which by way of watching my daughter take online college classes, I highly doubt) then what buildings do we need to provide in the future?  Are dorms still a thing?  If kids don't need to stay on or near campus, what happens to student life and all the activities to keep them busy (sports are part of this).  Curious....

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I love this quote! 

“Rosters are so fluid these days,” North Texas head coach Eric Morris said. “You’re going to lose some people, and we’re going to gain some people. I don’t have the energy or the time to worry about kids who don’t want to be here. We’ll feel some holes in the roster in the second cycle that starts on April 15th. 

for full article: 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/04/12/transfer-portal-impacts-spring-practice-dates-evaluation-across-college-football?ref=home_feature_article

I read rosters as roosters and was disappointed to see I read it wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, ADLER said:

Great quote? Are we so sure he wasn't misquoted?

"We’ll feel some holes in the roster in the second cycle that starts on April 15th. "

Are we sure this wasn't supposed to be "fill some holes"? It is a totally different meaning.

Morris' west texas accent kicked in and the reporter wrote what he heard.   

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wouldn’t give Craven that much credit.  He’s a UTSA grad, so I would strongly reconsider the misspelling.

Craven definitely hates UNT so everything he says we should all rake with a grain of salt.  Remember, he chastised us for having the audacity to fire Seth.  That tells you where his loyalties lie.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Craven definitely hates UNT so everything he says we should all rake with a grain of salt.  Remember, he chastised us for having the audacity to fire Seth.  That tells you where his loyalties lie.

haha! I just cannot get past how often he puts UTSA players in his top-10 lists.

• Upvote 2

Craven is the most biased reporter you'll ever encounter. I remember he reposted a post about a fanbase that bothers/annoys you the most, and he basically said it was us. Well, Craven, if you weren't so biased with your lists and articles, we wouldn't be on your ass so much lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope Morris is not allowing any of these former players to keep using the workout facilities.

We saw with KD Davis. These players can change mind. I don’t advise burning bridges. It could hurt with other recruits later on. That being said I don’t think the kids in portal are using weight room. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

We saw with KD Davis. These players can change mind. I don’t advise burning bridges. It could hurt with other recruits later on. That being said I don’t think the kids in portal are using weight room. 

I guess it depends on the situation. If you're a Grad transfer and finishing out the last semester before you move on that's one thing. But in the case of these 2 recent players they started practice then announced outside of the window.

• Upvote 1