Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?

Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer we focus all of our resources towards basketball now?

• Yes, winning NIT proves it
    • No, UNT will always need football
    • Undecided / Other

12 hours ago, MrAlien said:

All resources... NO

However I would be OK if some of those resources transferred from Football to Basketball.  With a little more effort from the school, UNT could be a tournament bound team every year.  I would rather see UNT Basketball in the Big Dance every year, then see UNT Football play in some meaningless bowl game.  

This right here is the correct answer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

I would be good with it. Where has football gotten us again?  When was the last time our football coach was hired at a bigger school?  

Seth just got hired at OU.  
Seriously, football will put us higher up the food chain, not basketball. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The question was, “When was the last time OUR football coach was hired…”?  Not, “When was the last time an unemployed, former football coach was hired…”?

Our football coach had the opportunity to be hired away as head coach at a P5 school, but chose to come back to North Texas instead.  I'm not sure why that would count as some kind of strike against our football program.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

Would you have cut the bball cord at the end of the Benford era, before hiring Grant?

No, but I would have built on the success of Jones getting hired away and hired a much more experienced coach, which we could have had significantly more resources to do if we had basketball as our main sport.

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You want to gauge the results?  Look at what happened to UTA when they dropped football. No thank you. 

So of all of the successful basketball programs that don't have football, UTA is the one you went with?  Just a question: would you drop football to have the success of Gonzaga in basketball?  Or maybe Providence?  Marquette?  

We have a MUCH better chance at winning a NC in basketball then we do in football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2