UAB (3/30/23)

CMJ

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Oh, this rundown of the NIT semis was posted by the guy who runs the NIT-ology stuff that was referenced so much while we we were in limbo about March.

https://thebarkingcrow.com/about-last-nite-orleans-arena-rocks-conference-usa-rolls/

those TP and Chucky quotes are gold.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, the first game Walker was out, so you can't take much away from that one.  The second was an absolute fist fight.  Of course they beat us the third time.  We are very evenly matched.  It's gonna be a brawl.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

if you take away the first ten minutes of the semifinal game, here's the point differential in all three games

NT - UAB

67 -  54 March 10, minus the first ten minutes

82 -  79 February 9

63 -  52 January 21

212 - 185 total difference over those 110 minutes.

Now, this obviously isn't living in reality, and who knows what would have happened in the semis if UNT played it close during that time. I just feel like we have a pretty good mental edge over the Blazers and they hate the way we play ball.

If Jelly plays well this could be a close game, something like 66-64 NT. 

If he's off, I think NT can win 61 - 52

This made me really proud of our team:

"Still, how about that North Texas defense? There’s a reason this team would be favored if it played any of Virginia, Illinois, and Northwestern right now, and so much of that reason is that on the ball, North Texas defends with ferocity. That’s what it is: Ferocity. North Texas is ferocious. We can compare them to a steamroller, we can compare them to flypaper, but the thing they are is ferocious. Over their last ten games, they’ve held teams below 50 just as often as they’ve let teams score 60."

This is why I love Coach Mac.  The team plays this way and it is because of his personality:

• In the North Texas media guide, they advertise that McCasland was once kicked out of practice as a walk-on at Baylor for refusing to let a future NBA player dunk on him.
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Since our game in the Conf tourney.....Jelly hasn't played real well. Their other players have stepped up.

That is what concerns me to be honest.  They've picked up the slack AND he's due to come out of a slump.  We'll have to bring our A+ game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

That is what concerns me to be honest.  They've picked up the slack AND he's due to come out of a slump.  We'll have to bring our A+ game.

This game is about us. Not them.....

I agree with you. We have to play the way we know we can play. We do that, it doesn't matter what they do.

They score 80 per game, we give up 55 per game. Something will have to give.

Getting ready to hit the road for the Final.  Hopefully I'll be able to hit the tailgate party thing the Alumni Association is putting on after we check in.  Sorry I won't be here to "light the tower" tonight -- but I am sure y'all can take care of it for me. 

Probably won't be posting again till tomorrow - either very happy or sad the magic carpet ride is over.

GMG

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This made me really proud of our team:

"Still, how about that North Texas defense? There’s a reason this team would be favored if it played any of Virginia, Illinois, and Northwestern right now, and so much of that reason is that on the ball, North Texas defends with ferocity. That’s what it is: Ferocity. North Texas is ferocious. We can compare them to a steamroller, we can compare them to flypaper, but the thing they are is ferocious. Over their last ten games, they’ve held teams below 50 just as often as they’ve let teams score 60."

This is why I love Coach Mac.  The team plays this way and it is because of his personality:

• In the North Texas media guide, they advertise that McCasland was once kicked out of practice as a walk-on at Baylor for refusing to let a future NBA player dunk on him.

Hahaha I haven’t noticed or heard that story.  Brian Skinner I assume?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

Hahaha I haven’t noticed or heard that story.  Brian Skinner I assume?

I remember Grant playing against North Texas during the 1998-1999 season. He was the little guy at the end of the bench that the Bear fans cheered for emphatically when he scored at the end of the game. Baylor won that game, but with an awful lot of help from officiating.

• Thanks 1