UAB (3/30/23)

CMJ

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Where was the third? I only remember two for five points.

In fact, after the first missed call, the refs tried to give UAB a make-up call by calling a shot clock violation on Tylor that wasn't. This was like the first or second possession after the timeout where the refs couldn't take away Tylor's first 3. But the shot missed anyway.

Saw that as well. It was obviously a make-up call which is BS but had he hit the shot, it would have been reviewed and surely would have counted.

• Upvote 1

What a day. First off, to be there when we won was such a magical experience, truly I can't put it into words. 

My wife is waking up so I'll post more later. Just so proud. Though Perry hit the dagger, I knew we had it when Sissoko made his shot a few possessions earlier.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

What a day. First off, to be there when we won was such a magical experience, truly I can't put it into words. 

My wife is waking up so I'll post more later. Just so proud. Though Perry hit the dagger, I knew we had it when Sissoko made his shot a few possessions earlier.

That Sissoko shot instantly reminded me of the long jumper Ian Mahinmi took and made in game 6 of the 2011 finals in Miami to end the 3rd quarter. That was when I knew Dallas was going to close it out and take the series and that was the same feeling I got last night after he made it.

4 hours ago, untbowler said:

to be fair UNT got away with 3 time clock violations, that accounted for at least 7 pts. Refs were at least consistent

3??? It was really 1 and they called a shot clock on us when there was one second left. Refs hosed us with UAB accounting for 7 missed free throws 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Green Mean said:

That Sissoko shot instantly reminded me of the long jumper Ian Mahinmi took and made in game 6 of the 2011 finals in Miami to end the 3rd quarter. That was when I knew Dallas was going to close it out and take the series and that was the same feeling I got last night after he made it.

I know exactly which shot you're talking about. Great comparison!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Postgame Press Conference

This is really why I love this team.  Great young men that represent us so well.  Great interviews, showed great respect for UAB and never talked poorly about their opponents, worked hard, thankful for others and they love each other.  I hope they realize how special this moment is.  So good.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

3??? It was really 1 and they called a shot clock on us when there was one second left. Refs hosed us with UAB accounting for 7 missed free throws 

I also don't recall 3, but I certainly remember 2.  Both in pretty critical junctures that we wound up getting 5 points off of instead of it being UAB ball.

The first, at the 9:26 mark in the second half (18:48 mark in the Youtube clip above), where Moulaye pulled down the offensive rebound, then TP hit that LONG 3 pointer to regain the lead 50-49.   HUGE PLAY.
The second, in crunch time at the 1:19 mark in the second half (24:48 mark in the Youtube clip above), where Moulaye got the offensive rebound, then TP hit a midrange jumper for what was basically the game winner to put us up 6 with under a minute left.
If we turn the ball over on both of those possessions, as we should have, instead of scoring points & taking more time off the game clock...  who knows what UAB does with their possessions, and we definitely have a completely different game.   Regardless, I know the Toughest Team Wins, and there was no way NT was going to be denied.

I suppose the 3rd one was the one that was actually called (when it shouldn't have been called) with 1 second still on the shot clock that TP missed anyway, so it didn't really matter.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I also don't recall 3, but I certainly remember 2.  Both in pretty critical junctures that we wound up getting 5 points off of instead of it being UAB ball.

The first, at the 9:26 mark in the second half (18:48 mark in the Youtube clip above), where Moulaye pulled down the offensive rebound, then TP hit that LONG 3 pointer to regain the lead 50-49.   HUGE PLAY.
The second, in crunch time at the 1:19 mark in the second half (24:48 mark in the Youtube clip above), where Moulaye got the offensive rebound, then TP hit a midrange jumper for what was basically the game winner to put us up 6 with under a minute left.
If we turn the ball over on both of those possessions, as we should have, instead of scoring points & taking more time off the game clock...  who knows what UAB does with their possessions, and we definitely have a completely different game.   Regardless, I know the Toughest Team Wins, and there was no way NT was going to be denied.

I suppose the 3rd one was the one that was actually called (when it shouldn't have been called) with 1 second still on the shot clock that TP missed anyway, so it didn't really matter.

ok fine, make me watch the highlights again!

• Haha 4

339301828_536106112031341_51725733589079

My wife took a bunch of pictures from the game and aftermath.  Now that we've gotten back to Los Angeles, I've finally had a chance to go through them all.  This one was one of my favorites of a few of the guys examining the hardware.  

I will say that I liked the old NIT trophy much better than the new one (and even the one they used the last few years was better too).  C'est la vie.

Original NIT trophy that they used up until a half dozen or so years ago.

usa-today-7852734.0.jpg

• Upvote 2