Anyone else excited about the new FIU series?

35 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell must be really irritated.  On paper, NT has the easiest football schedule I remember since they returned to D1 FBS.

2023 oc football schedule, 2022 record

ACU - 7-4 fcs

Cal - 4-8, in Denton

La Tech - 3-9

FIU - 4-8

NT should win every one of these games

Cal and LaTech are not just standing around not trying to improve. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not sure what else everyone expected on short notice. Nearly all schools 2023 schedule has been booked for years now. I’d imagine that future dated Denton game magically disappears for a more appealing matchup at some point. 

My expectations had nothing to do with my post.  I just looked at the schedule and those teams' records and concluded it looked like a slate of teams that NT should beat

I think most are aware that most games are booked years ahead. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell must be really irritated.  On paper, NT has the easiest football schedule I remember since they returned to D1 FBS.

ACU - 7-4 fcs

Cal - 4-8, in Denton

La Tech - 3-9

FIU - 4-8

I am pretty sure last season was the easiest so far. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

ACU - 7-4 fcs

Cal - 4-8, in Denton

La Tech - 3-9

FIU - 4-8

I wouldn’t say we SHOULD beat Cal. They may be a bad PAC 12 team, but they’d still finish towards the top of the AAC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I wouldn’t say we SHOULD beat Cal. They may be a bad PAC 12 team, but they’d still finish towards the top of the AAC. 

NT should have a much better team this year than the 2019 4-8 team that nearly beat Cal in California.

In that game, NT got behind 0-20 in the first quarter and dominated the rest of the game, but lost 17-23.

Who knows what will happen this year, but I like NT in that game.  First game of year in Denton and I suspect there are going to be a lot better teams in the AAC than Cal.  

At least they didn't schedule an FCS team.  Those days are almost over.  We still have a game with Abilene Christian and perhaps another one or two but I believe that virtually all non-conference games will be against FBS teams.  I also expect that in the future there will be one or two games per year against P5 teams because that's what AAC teams do.

8 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not sure what else everyone expected on short notice. Nearly all schools 2023 schedule has been booked for years now. I’d imagine that future dated Denton game magically disappears for a more appealing matchup at some point

I doubt that. Home games are a very valuable commodity. FIU is not currently the kind of school that can afford to buy out of those games and UNT will not have interest in letting them out   and end up with a 5 home game slate at any point. Buying G5s to come in without return game is expensive, so not interesting either.

It was a sucky situation where UNT was short term in a weak negotiation situation (although FIU was in an even weaker situation) and i feel Mosely made the most of it by putting an away game in the bank and getting a valuable chip.  He still needs a home game for 2024, but otherwise Mosely is now set with having 2 OOC home games until 2030 and he can negotiate from a great position of strength when looking for the remaining games.

21 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

They needed an easier game, this is shaping up to be a rebuilding year, I dont expect to many AAC wins.  They get UTSA, Memphis, UAB and Temple at home.  Then visit SMU Tulane, Tulsa, and Navy. 

Tulsa,Navy, and Temple, maybe UAB are good win opportunities .

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not even close: Last year's occ games

Memphis, Tx Southern, UNLV, and SMU

I will argue 2023 will be easier. Don't recall anyone predicting us to sweep the nonconference slate this past fall. We didn't have a new coach and new hope in 2022, but how many of us would bet on a first-year coach to beat SMU after years of blowouts?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

NT should have a much better team this year than the 2019 4-8 team that nearly beat Cal in California.

In that game, NT got behind 0-20 in the first quarter and dominated the rest of the game, but lost 17-23.

Who knows what will happen this year, but I like NT in that game.  First game of year in Denton and I suspect there are going to be a lot better teams in the AAC than Cal.  

What are you basing this on?  Who is our QB next year??  We had Mason Freaking Fine in 2019.  Hard to imagine our team next year being much better than anyone until we see what the roster will look like...especially at QB.

18 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

What are you basing this on?  Who is our QB next year??  We had Mason Freaking Fine in 2019.  Hard to imagine our team next year being much better than anyone until we see what the roster will look like...especially at QB.

What are you basing that they won't be better than a 2019, 4-8 team?  What difference does it make if they had Fine, they went 4-8.

I have no idea who the QB will be next year, probably nether will any of the pronoticators that rank teams pre-season.  

I guess they should just put a question mark for every team that does not have an established starting QB and not rank them. 

It is hard for me with NT's oc schedule, to imagine that NT will not be better than 4-8.  

Edited by GrandGreen

17 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not even close: Last year's occ games

Memphis, Tx Southern, UNLV, and SMU

SMU 7-6 

Tx Southern 5-6

UNLV  5-7

Memphis 7-6 bowl eligible by beating us. 

Plus the conference games were a complete joke schedule strength wise. 

So pretty much 10 times easier then next year. I am not sure what your a talking about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1