Scenario: You're the AD

Pseudo Nym

If you're the AD today, what do you do?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. President Smatresk calls you into his office and wants you to make a decision on the FB coach after reading the feedback from the students, fans, and alumni and he gives you three choices, which do you choose?

• Fire SL.
    • Re-Evaluate After Next Week.
    • Commit it keeping SL and staff until the end of the season.

WB has said more than once, “I’m not paid to make the emotional moves.”  This one game sucks and doesn’t bode well going into the AAC, but most of us had it as a loss (despite our green fandom).  Aune is likely the starter next week (I’d be shocked if GG started next week, but you never know with this staff).   The season is far from over.  The team has some issues, but it also has some strengths.  We’re 1-1. I’ll be there next Saturday. Beat TSU!

• Upvote 7
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

WB has said more than once, “I’m not paid to make the emotional moves.”  This one game sucks and doesn’t bode well going into the AAC, but most of us had it as a loss (despite our green fandom).  Aune is likely the starter next week (I’d be shocked if GG started next week, but you never know with this staff).   The season is far from over.  The team has some issues, but it also has some strengths.  We’re 1-1. I’ll be there next Saturday. Beat TSU!

Seth will do what Seth does - Beat the bad teams (and we have a schedule full of them) and win 6 or more games. He knows his personal/family connections will keep him here. Wren is starting to look more and more like the "yes" man and not someone willing to make the needed calls.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

last year sucked as well and Littrell should not be here, neither should RV.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I think he needs to be fired but not right now. I don't think you gain anything by firing him after this game. Lose the next and I'm on board. I don't think our ceiling is very high this year but firing him after last night basically ends the season with 10 games to go and I think the PLAYERS deserve better than that. Lose next week or get to 7 losses and I'm down. If we lose next week, it's because the season needs to be salvaged before it's too late that I would fire him. 

But to be clear, I was set on moving on when we ran on first down with the same quarterback down 21 to start the 2nd half. I mean, I was almost there already but that sealed it for me. I had no issue losing to SMU but it's how we lost. No adjustments, no fire, just the same 2nd half that got you in a hole in the first half.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 6

I'm really not sure what benefit firing SL would have at this point.  Who is the interim coach in that case and is that coach really any better?

Ride it out at least until the last few weeks if you really need to send him off to retain players, then so be it.  I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of keeping players is to make a judgement on that.

Having another mediocre season sucks, but that is where we are right now and I don't see anything in season changing that.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, helix said:

off to retain players

Just a thought on this, when a certain P5 coach took over a program, their staff couldn't find enough ways to "push" players out the door.  

Firing him now gives potential coaches a chance to evaluate the program, and make thorough proposals and well thought out presentations in their interview.... The sooner a new coach is in place, the sooner we start recruiting their players and earlier than other teams...... put together the new staff earlier than other teams..... The faster you can hit the ground running on next year and the years ahead, the better off we will be.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Just a thought on this, when a certain P5 coach took over a program, their staff couldn't find enough ways to "push" players out the door.  

Firing him now gives potential coaches a chance to evaluate the program, and make thorough proposals and well thought out presentations in their interview.... The sooner a new coach is in place, the sooner we start recruiting their players and earlier than other teams...... put together the new staff earlier than other teams..... The faster you can hit the ground running on next year and the years ahead, the better off we will be.

Other than Tom Herman and Gary Patterson, who out there is jobless that you would consider? Ed Orgeron ain't going from his salary at LSU to UNT. Patterson is an option because he's local. You're not interviewing anybody worth a damn 2 weeks into the year outside of Herman and Patterson. Everybody else is busy.

Regarding evaluation of the program, an aspiring HC or a former HC who wants back in is likely already evaluating programs.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're not interviewing anybody worth a damn 2 weeks into the year outside of Herman and Patterson. Everybody else is busy.

Regarding evaluation of the program, an aspiring HC or a former HC who wants back in is likely already evaluating programs.

You don't know that.

I've been in a situation where I joined a staff after being a HC as the top assistant, didn't ask for it but was told I would be given a lot of say in specific aspects of the program, it quickly turned out to be a situation where I was sold a bad bill of goods.  Once the season started, the coach began to micromanage every aspect of what the coaching staff was doing and we were all itching to get out.

That's one example and what's taking place somewhere in that form or similar that leads to good people looking elsewhere during the season; I'm less naive now than I was then.

Until it's put out there that the job is wide open, we're just waisting time now.

The buyout is a premium to getting a head start on next year and the future.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Whoever thinks we should fire him after 1 game is stupid.

Yeah I hate losing by 38 to SMU, it’s demoralizing, but it literally makes no sense whatsoever.

I hope y’all are being sarcastic…

First of all watch the name calling.

Second, that's like your opinion man.

Mine is a different school of thought, it is completely insane that Seth was not fired last year. And that SMU will be a conference mate next year. So we are heading in the wrong direction.  To me it is horribly naïve to say this is about one game; its about a body of work that is failing and yesterday should be everyone's last straw. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

55 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

You don't know that.

I've been in a situation where I joined a staff after being a HC as the top assistant, didn't ask for it but was told I would be given a lot of say in specific aspects of the program, it quickly turned out to be a situation where I was sold a bad bill of goods.  Once the season started, the coach began to micromanage every aspect of what the coaching staff was doing and we were all itching to get out.

That's one example and what's taking place somewhere in that form or similar that leads to good people looking elsewhere during the season; I'm less naive now than I was then.

Until it's put out there that the job is wide open, we're just waisting time now.

The buyout is a premium to getting a head start on next year and the future.

So are you suggesting firing him now and hiring his replacement now as well? You'd be implementing a new system, philosophy, everything, 2 weeks into the season. I don't see how that benefits the program today.

If you're suggesting firing him for the sake of opening up the job and letting somebody on staff be the interim, I don't see how that benefits us today either unless you plan on making that interim your HC and you want a trial run but I think that just makes the hiring process confusing if the interim does well.

Don't get it twisted, I think he needs to be gone. I just don't think 2 games into the year serves a purpose. I think as long as there's a chance at finishing .500, you let him finish out the regular season. Once the regular season is over, fire him even if we make a bowl game. If he hits 7 losses before the end of the regular season, fire him.

Good people looking elsewhere mid-season doesn't mean they're leaving mid-season to join you.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

18 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So are you suggesting firing him now and hiring his replacement now as well? You'd be implementing a new system, philosophy, everything, 2 weeks into the season. I don't see how that benefits the program today.

If it happened today:

Day 1 -  Current HC Fired & Job is Posted

Day 2 - Talking heads on TV "UNT is a great opportunity, with new facilities, x, y, z etc."

Day 14 - A list of prospective candidates begins to emerge as proposals and presentations are received and reviewed by the AD

Day 21 - Discussions with prospective candidates begin

Day 28 - List is narrowed to 3-4 candidates

Day 35 - New HC in Place, Discussion on Staff and Recruiting Begins

Day 50 - Key Staff (OC/DC) Identified and Discussions Begin/PSA's (Recruits) have received interest from New HC

Day 60 - Key Staff Announced/First New Recruit Commitments Announced

Theres a sample 60 day timeline or say two months.

Two months from now is Nov. 2nd and we will have played 9 games(3-6, 4-5, 2-7 record?) going into the 10th game of the season on Nov. 5th vs FIU and the UIL Football regular season ends, HS playoff start.

New staff can be at those high school games actively recruiting.  New staff can be in the transfer portal.  New staff can be moved in and families settled.  New staff is pounding the pavement with a refreshed sense of what can be accomplished. 

28 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If you're suggesting firing him for the sake of opening up the job and letting somebody on staff be the interim, I don't see how that benefits us today either unless you plan on making that interim your HC and you want a trial run but I think that just makes the hiring process confusing if the interim does well.

If a candidate emerges via an Interim HC then so be it.  

My emphasis or suggestion is not that there is an interim HC on the staff that needs to be evaluated, though if the current HC was fired today and magically we began really playing good football, that wouldn't be a bad thing for anybody.

What is a bad thing is waisting time when we could be getting started on a better future for the program, versus kicking this can down the road (again and again) and losing valuable time.

Also, IF an Interim HC confuses the hiring process, and we can't figure it out, then we've got a huge problem of an indecisive AD, who doesn't know what they want, severely lacking in vision, unable to make sound decisions, who is inept and would be unable to continue leading the program.

This same AD orchestrated the current HC's extension and feels that the current HC is still the person to lead this program out of where it sits today: lackluster in the abyss of ineptitude and irrelevancy.

IF this AD then falls over an Interim HC conundrum, then he's got to go as well.

38 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Good people looking elsewhere mid-season doesn't mean they're leaving mid-season to join you.

Again, you don't know this. 

This question will remain unanswered until the job is open. 

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You forgot to mention in the hypothetical meeting that our biggest donor will no longer be here if we fire SL, so what should we do?

Good Riddance.

Either the AD and the President have the balls to run the program or they don't. 

BMD's who stand in the way of progress for their own self-agrandizing pleasure can F-Off! (I don't know if I can say "F-Off" on this board, apologies if I can't and it can be edited as necessary, TIA!)

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yeah I hate losing by 38 to SMU, it’s demoralizing, but it literally makes no sense whatsoever.

Is this a North Texas state media run account 🤣

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It's not 1 game.  It's everything since 2019.

To recap: 4-8, 4-6, 6-7 (with a bowl loss), 1-1 with a high-profile blowout.

Even in the winning seasons, he loses the bowl games (0-5)

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

If it happened today:

Day 1 -  Current HC Fired & Job is Posted

Day 2 - Talking heads on TV "UNT is a great opportunity, with new facilities, x, y, z etc."

Day 14 - A list of prospective candidates begins to emerge as proposals and presentations are received and reviewed by the AD

Day 21 - Discussions with prospective candidates begin

Day 28 - List is narrowed to 3-4 candidates

Day 35 - New HC in Place, Discussion on Staff and Recruiting Begins

Day 50 - Key Staff (OC/DC) Identified and Discussions Begin/PSA's (Recruits) have received interest from New HC

Day 60 - Key Staff Announced/First New Recruit Commitments Announced

Theres a sample 60 day timeline or say two months.

Two months from now is Nov. 2nd and we will have played 9 games(3-6, 4-5, 2-7 record?) going into the 10th game of the season on Nov. 5th vs FIU and the UIL Football regular season ends, HS playoff start.

New staff can be at those high school games actively recruiting.  New staff can be in the transfer portal.  New staff can be moved in and families settled.  New staff is pounding the pavement with a refreshed sense of what can be accomplished. 

If a candidate emerges via an Interim HC then so be it.  

My emphasis or suggestion is not that there is an interim HC on the staff that needs to be evaluated, though if the current HC was fired today and magically we began really playing good football, that wouldn't be a bad thing for anybody.

What is a bad thing is waisting time when we could be getting started on a better future for the program, versus kicking this can down the road (again and again) and losing valuable time.

Also, IF an Interim HC confuses the hiring process, and we can't figure it out, then we've got a huge problem of an indecisive AD, who doesn't know what they want, severely lacking in vision, unable to make sound decisions, who is inept and would be unable to continue leading the program.

This same AD orchestrated the current HC's extension and feels that the current HC is still the person to lead this program out of where it sits today: lackluster in the abyss of ineptitude and irrelevancy.

IF this AD then falls over an Interim HC conundrum, then he's got to go as well.

Again, you don't know this. 

This question will remain unanswered until the job is open. 

I appreciate the time-line. I find it hard to believe you'd open the job today and be able to pull a full staff by 60 days when the season is still going on. Some of the coaches are either currently employed and would be burning a bridge with their current HC/AD or they may want to evaluate the entire landscape after the season when all jobs are open. I think you limit your pool of candidates tremendously by seeking out an answer from your candidates this early in the season. Some simply can't leave their current posts in the middle of the season so you're basically left with the unemployed.

Regarding the confusion, it's not so much from Wren's perspective but the fans and donors. You're going to have to explain why the interim isn't staying if they pull off a big win streak. It's about who pulls the strings. Firing now brings little to no clarity in this process. 

I appreciate your perspective, though. Thanks.