What, Really, Are Your Expectations Of The First Recruiting Class?

What Do You Expect Of Littrell's First Recruiting Class?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Hope/Expectation?

• More of them will stick around than Dodge's first class
    • It will contain more playmakers on both sides of the ball than McCarney's first class
    • They won't win a conference title until their senior year, like Dickey's first class
    • They will have us winning within the first two years
    • Other

His first class will be less than the max number. He will turn up a few gems but not necessarily at all of his "need" positions; he will have better luck with the next class after he and his team have settled in. The coaches will work hard to coach up what they have inherited, what they can find in the walk-on pool, and will find 4 - 6 guys who can play as true freshmen from this class and redshirt the rest. They will "hit 6" by the third season. Those are my expectations. Now back to the Shiner.

• Upvote 2

I voted "other" because my expectation is that Coach L. and the rest of the coaches will do a good job of assessing the talent level of the current team and be able to recruit to fill the gaps.  Naturally the QB position will be the priority and I expect them to bring in at least one that will be able to play this next season.

I also expect/hope that I won't be making the same Clara Peller statement that I did when Coach Dodge's recruitment class was announced.

The frist class I expect is two QBs he will need to make sure this I carefully chose because this QBs will make or break his time here. Wth his reputation he should be able to get skill players. I would love to see a full class of complete player with more than one D1 offer. I can see us being one of the youngest team again this up coming year. He has a short time to get guys and it is he's most important class too. 

• Upvote 1

I don't expect much at all from this first class. He has 2 months to change perceptions of this program that are years in the making. 

I don't know about that UNT90.  Kids these days are so impressionable.  These kids won't be talking to some of the McCarney deadhead recruiters, explaining the "run the balls first, then throw the dink passes" offense.  Seth might do decent on the recruiting trail.  One can hope.

I don't know about that UNT90.  Kids these days are so impressionable.  These kids won't be talking to some of the McCarney deadhead recruiters, explaining the "run the balls first, then throw the dink passes" offense.  Seth might do decent on the recruiting trail.  One can hope.

He might next year. I don't see a lot of hope this year, as the previous staff just quit on recruiting. 

He is starting 10 months behind other  programs that have offered kids.

I think we see a lot of recruits with no or one other offer this year.

And I expect the usual crowd to proclaim how great they are, how recruiting rankings are overrated, and how Coach Littrell has an eye for overlooked talent.

All of it will be feel good crap, of course 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Hell, I'm hoping instead of overlooked talent, he might be able to flip some guys who were committed elsewhere but are excited about playing for these new coaches of ours and possibly coming in to start right away.

• Upvote 2

He might next year. I don't see a lot of hope this year, as the previous staff just quit on recruiting. 

He is starting 10 months behind other  programs that have offered kids.

I think we see a lot of recruits with no or one other offer this year.

And I expect the usual crowd to proclaim how great they are, how recruiting rankings are overrated, and how Coach Littrell has an eye for overlooked talent.

All of it will be feel good crap, of course 

Well the team also quit in general, how can Litrell and staff change the culture of quitting in 9 months, will be the big thing.

A more open offense will be nice to see utilizing the talent.

Now the defense scares the hell out of me, as DMac was supposed to be a defensive coach, but has nothing, granted the DC in 2015 sucked big fat donkey balls, so there is no honest assessment of the defense other than they quit and laid over when the going got tough.

• Upvote 1

SMU's Morris substantially upgraded SMU recruiting in his first year and I doubt he had as much time as Littrell.  I don't expect miracles but I think Littrell will bring in a lot of players that are going to play next year.  

It doesn't take long to turn around a team in CUSA.  I have used this example before, but think back to the Dallas bowl year.  NT, UTSA and Rice were the best teams in the West with La Tech and USM horrible.  That was turned completely around within two years.  

Going way back to Fry, he broke even and won the conference his first year I think after a one win season in the prior year.  He inherited a bad team but one with a lot of veteran players.   The second year for Fry was his worse, but from then on he had winning teams.  

I am not going to be very disappointed if Littrell first year is a losing one, but I am much more optimism than most that he could field a bowl team his first year.  

• Upvote 1

Hell, I'm hoping instead of overlooked talent, he might be able to flip some guys who were committed elsewhere but are excited about playing for these new coaches of ours and possibly coming in to start right away.

I am looking on the 247 site and just looked at the top texas 2016 recruits.  There's several players that can be offered a chance to start and play close to home.  I don't expect UNT to beat out a big 12 school, but I see a top rated juco dual threat committed to UAB, and a juco OL committed to memphis (from trinity cc.  Maybe he visited) there's other examples of jucos leaving the state to play G5.  New Mexico shouldn't be able to snag top juco over UNT.

For those that dont want the juco route, there's several in state players committed to out of state G5.  RB Girdy in victoria...offers from Nevada and new mexico.  Give him a chance to play in texas.

• Upvote 1

True.  My nine-year old son has a new favorite football/baseball/basketball player/team every time he turns on the TV.