ODU & Marshall are looking to shake things up...

C Rod

It appears ODU and Marshall are working behind the scenes to shake things up...

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/mettlen-jmus-patience-may-be-about-to-pay-off-in-realignment/article_cff53d7a-31d4-59c6-b4fb-b7d08ef35966.html

Or how about Conference USA? College football reporter Matt Brown recently reported in his Extra Points newsletter that CUSA, which has 14 members stretching from Norfolk to El Paso, could split into two leagues with each retaining an automatic berth to the NCAA basketball tournaments.

The Mountain West was formed in 1999 when the WAC split under similar circumstances, and according to Brown both ODU and Marshall are pushing for that scenario.

Marshall officials declined to comment and their ODU counterparts had not responded to a request at the time of publication, but one high-ranking Marshall employee said on the condition of anonymity it was a possibility being discussed.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I laughed at this -

Benson didn’t have to specify the opposition. Bigwigs at Louisiana Tech, a CUSA member, have never hid the fact they would consider it slumming to join Sun Belt members Louisiana and Louisiana-Monroe. It doesn’t matter how ridiculous that idea seems to anybody who doesn’t live near the Bayou.

UAB has traditionally seen itself as a step above fellow Alabama institution Troy. Charlotte has resisted joining forces with Appalachian State and there are a bunch of schools in Texas with complicated relationships and big egos.

• Haha 3

I suppose the overwhelming question involved whether being a Lower G5 program is really worth it or not? You get no TV revenue, very little media coverage, and little attendance unless you are winning or playing someone that others care about. That’s not just here, but everywhere in the SBCUSA and the MAC.

The independent idea intrigues, going so old school to be UH or FSU from the 70s and 80s and making your way upward by playing anyone anywhere. But it takes major funding and major vision from the university and that’s never been what UNT has done before, at least not like this would take. It still pisses me off that we never even tried publicly to show any interest in the MWC after TCU left. I still think we could have followed their lead and done well out there, while actually playing some really, really great programs. But our fans have made it extremely clear that the MWC = the Old Big West because of newspaper deadlines and stuff. Oh well, I guess…

I suppose that probably having lived more than half the life I have remaining on this planet, I’ll just have to settle for watching the Mean Green be a G5 program that made its fate decades ago for athletics.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

ODU rubs me the wrong way. They have been FBS for about half a minute, done nothing, and are trying to dictate conference realignment. It won't hurt C-USA to lose those two. 12 teams would be a better number for a better C-USA anyway.

Your regular reminder that ODU has the largest budget in the conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I was talking to ODU officials a few years ago at CUSA basketball tournament in Frisco and they were already looking for a way out of the conference. I personally think it would be possible  if they and Marshall took the initiative to split CUSA. . However my fear is that they would take LA.Tech, So. Miss. , and UAB with them., leaving us with no choice other than to rejoin the Sunbelt along with UTEP, UTSA, and Rice. That would give the Belt 14 football teams with the 5 Texas programs, Arkansas State, and either ULL or ULM, or even New Mexico State. However the Louisiana schools as well as A-State may also want to move East. I just can't envision a scenario where UNT moves up in conference affiliation. Hope I am wrong!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And they have done nothing with that making them the UT of CUSA. 

No. Like them or not, UT has always been a flagship in their conferences. And everyone in college football knows who UT is.

Sure ODU has cash, but only a few million more than UNT. ODU is just a below average newbie in C-USA, pretending to be a power player. If we could get enough members to vote them out we should.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3

On 8/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, Arkstfan said:

ODU's AD came from WKU. If expect him to act like an equity partner in a joint business, which a conference IS, you are psychotic.

So just for the sake of argument the Big 12 grabs 4 AAC members to create the "dirty dozen" leaving CUSA and the SBC with a total of 20 football playing programs. And to take it a step further CUSA/SBC decide to basically swap teams so that each conference would have 10 football programs and be more geographical in nature while keeping their individual banner and therefore automatic invitations to NCAA events. I can envision UNT,UTSA,Texas State, Rice, UTEP, and perhaps New Mexico State being in the either CUSA or the SBC. Depending upon the inclusion of NMSU, this group would need 3 or 4 more football programs to constitute a 10 school conference. Under my scenario Arkansas State, LA. Tech. and ULL would need to agree to basically create a conference with 5 Texas schools plus New Mexico State.[ I am replacing ULM with NMSU]. Do you think A-State, La. Tech and ULL would be interested in joining such a conference or would you much rather go East?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

So just for the sake of argument the Big 12 grabs 4 AAC members to create the "dirty dozen" leaving CUSA and the SBC with a total of 20 football playing programs. And to take it a step further CUSA/SBC decide to basically swap teams so that each conference would have 10 football programs and be more geographical in nature while keeping their individual banner and therefore automatic invitations to NCAA events. I can envision UNT,UTSA,Texas State, Rice, UTEP, and perhaps New Mexico State being in the either CUSA or the SBC. Depending upon the inclusion of NMSU, this group would need 3 or 4 more football programs to constitute a 10 school conference. Under my scenario Arkansas State, LA. Tech. and ULL would need to agree to basically create a conference with 5 Texas schools plus New Mexico State.[ I am replacing ULM with NMSU]. Do you think A-State, La. Tech and ULL would be interested in joining such a conference or would you much rather go East?

AState would be leery. We recruit a lot in Alabama and Georgia. Plus geography, Georgia State is basically same distance from Jonesboro as Denton. UAB and La Tech are about the same distance as well.

Be interesting to know what the current admin would want to do.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wardly said:

If the western programs were to realign, I think the current C-USA West (UNT, Rice, LA Tech, UAB, Southern Miss, UTSA, and UTEP) might have a shot at adding Arkansas State and ULL as a package deal. But only if we can keep all of non-Texas C-USA west members (LA Tech, Southern Miss, and UAB) in this configuration. Those programs would make some nice regional rivalries for ULL and Ark State.

• Upvote 2

Given they have a choice, I don't think you could pay So. Miss. or UAB enough to be in a conference with 5 football teams from Texas, and I certainly have my doubts about any of the 3 Louisiana programs as well as Arkansas State. I just don't believe  UNT is in a good situation should a CUSA/SBC shakeup occur as it would appear all the power in both conferences is in the East. Hopefully I am wrong.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

If the western programs were to realign, I think the current C-USA West (UNT, Rice, LA Tech, UAB, Southern Miss, UTSA, and UTEP) might have a shot at adding Arkansas State and ULL as a package deal. But only if we can keep all of non-Texas C-USA west members (LA Tech, Southern Miss, and UAB) in this configuration. Those programs would make some nice regional rivalries for ULL and Ark State.

UAB and USM would be very interesting to AState. UTEP would not

20 hours ago, wardly said:

Given they have a choice, I don't think you could pay So. Miss. or UAB enough to be in a conference with 5 football teams from Texas, and I certainly have my doubts about any of the 3 Louisiana programs as well as Arkansas State. I just don't believe  UNT is in a good situation should a CUSA/SBC shakeup occur as it would appear all the power in both conferences is in the East. Hopefully I am wrong.

If the choice was made by fans, you'd be absolutely right. Thank goodness the university presidents make these types of decisions. While fans at Southern Miss and UAB lean towards playing eastern programs, their presidents understand that the east lacks the opportunities that the west features. There is a reason the better C-USA bowl ties and conference basketball tournament are located in the western region of the C-USA. C-USA has an annual bowl tie located in the western region of the conference every season through this bowl cycle (New Orleans Bowl) & two in the west or further west on a rotating basis (Hawaii '22 & '24 and Independence Bowl '21 & '25). The eastern region has no guaranteed bowl ties at all during this bowl cycle. The closest guaranteed bowl tie in the east is the Bahamas Bowl. The money and the opportunities are in the west, and the presidents at UAB and Southern Miss know it.