Texas Tech

NM Green

5 minutes ago, diehardUNTfan said:

No I understand where you are coming from but if we can't have fans travel to Shreveport ( roughly 3 hours ) for a bowl game then that's a major issue. 

I would love Independence bowl but there are several other teams that could bring a lot of fans to that game.  HOD is sort of our sweet spot.

Just now, Harry said:

I would love Independence bowl but there are several other teams that could bring a lot of fans to that game.  HOD is sort of our sweet spot.

So just cause some fans won't travel outside of Dallas, that means we are consistently stuck in HOD?  There's got to be a point where quality bowl wins is more important than attendance. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, diehardUNTfan said:

So just cause some fans won't travel outside of Dallas, that means we are consistently stuck in HOD?  There's got to be a point where quality bowl wins is more important than attendance. 

Again, I think it depends on the opponent whether what we get will be a quality bowl or not. That could very well come via the HoD.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

I try to be as realistic with my expectations as possible but I really think this year's squad can beat that Texas Tech team. I've seen a few comments doubting that but I'm wondering if that's just because of the historical mindset that they're better at football than we are or if those are opinions based off of observation and facts. I've watched all of our games and at least half of the Texas Tech ones. I'm just not that afraid of them this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

I try to be as realistic with my expectations as possible but I really think this year's squad can beat that Texas Tech team. I've seen a few comments doubting that but I'm wondering if that's just because of the historical mindset that they're better at football than we are or if those are opinions based off of observation and facts. I've watched all of our games and at least half of the Texas Tech ones. I'm just not that afraid of them this season.

If you're going by "historical mindset," bring on the Red Raiders. If anything, they shouldn't want any part of us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, meanrob said:

If you're going by "historical mindset," bring on the Red Raiders. If anything, they shouldn't want any part of us. 

I completely agree. History says we aren't their doormat as many seem to think. They are beatable.

http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/texas-tech

Edited by UNTexas
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diehardUNTfan said:

No I understand where you are coming from but if we can't have fans travel to Shreveport ( roughly 3 hours ) for a bowl game then that's a major issue. 

HoD is a simple trip for all DFW alumni.. Shreveport is either an over night/early morning drive out to S-port since the game is at 1:30( I believe?).. 

Having it in Dallas isn’t sexy, but it’s great for recruits, fans and hopefully will lead to ALOT of local news coverage. A lot beating someone like Tech may not be appealing like beating a UCLA, but we recruit far more vs Tech than UCLA, which should give TT even more appeal for us to play against.

My question is to people, if it is TT vs UNT, and UNT wins what stops TT from buying out KK and hiring SL following the bowl game, leaving us out to dry?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

HoD is a simple trip for all DFW alumni.. Shreveport is either an over night/early morning drive out to S-port since the game is at 1:30( I believe?).. 

Having it in Dallas isn’t sexy, but it’s great for recruits, fans and hopefully will lead to ALOT of local news coverage. A lot beating someone like Tech may not be appealing like beating a UCLA, but we recruit far more vs Tech than UCLA, which should give TT even more appeal for us to play against.

My question is to people, if it is TT vs UNT, and UNT wins what stops TT from buying out KK and hiring SL following the bowl game, leaving us out to dry?

I don't think we have to worry about that scenario. KK is keeping his job after beating UT. They'll bring him back next year. Now, it would make SL a far bigger blip on the national radar.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I was just going to say that:

NT beats Tech and then Tech buys out SL and hires him. Who actually gets the last laugh in that scenario? 

UNT may but Tech could.. By that time (after the HoD) most of the other notable coaches will be picked up already leaving us with the scraps.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Harry said:

It looks like most of the bowls are T.V. driven. How much interest from the masses would UNT vs TT generate? Not much nationally I'm thinking.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, diehardUNTfan said:

Why don’t we just worry about beating someone like Tech in the HoD and have all that positive momentum from beating a P5 regional team (in front of a large crowd). Which would likely lead to more fans being aware (of what is going on at UNT) and follow the program (hopefully) leading to more likely traveling fans?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ABrownGMG said:

Nope. I have seen them play. Got my masters at TCU and watched Tech burn them deep a few times and the have lil Orr ( The great Zach Orr's lititle brother) at corner. Plus, the rest of the Frogs Defense is pretty good. Just not sure our guys could handle that speed on the outside. Hell if our guys get a chance to play Tech I will be screaming my ass off, and will have faith we can win. However, I think there are better match ups out there for UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

16 hours ago, ABrownGMG said:

I don't think it is historical mindset, I think it is watching our defense play opponents whose offenses are much less potent than Tech and have big numbers put up against them. This would be a track meet for sure, but I think Tech's D gets one or two more stops than our defense. If our defense can slow down FAU in the championship game, then I would have a much different opinion.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

I didn't want the HOD bowl until tech is involved. I have a PT student from tech that called me out after I was bragging about unt. "Who have you played" while I love that response because it means we're winning, I'd love to kick their ass in front of ours and theirs in Dallas so I can gloat even more! This is only the beginning my friends, this is how dynasties are made from!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, diehardUNTfan said:

I just don't understand how we would go back to HOD bowl again. We went 5-7 last year. We are currently 9-3, and are much improved. Playing local would be great but we deserve a better bowl.  

Almost anything else is on December 16, way too early -- without mentioning some of us graduate that day.

Come on, man... let us go to Heart of Dallas one more time. For me.

• Upvote 2

I could care less the bowl name just as long as (1) UNT vs P5 opponent and (2) easily travelable for UNT fans.  I game against a name Texas P5 program in Dallas would be fantastic.   Tech or UT would do just fine. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wardly said:

It looks like most of the bowls are T.V. driven. How much interest from the masses would UNT vs TT generate? Not much nationally I'm thinking.

Honestly, it could be a big draw because of the number of points that could be put up.. No idea of the other match ups on that day, but it would likely have the interest throughout the state and region at the very least..

3 hours ago, NT91 said:

Houston at the Frisco Bowl.

Won't happen... to small for both programs...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, wardly said:

Yes and no. HOD, Fort Worth and Frisco all have the same group of people managing them. Yes, they work for a division of ESPN. But the events group needs to look good as well and thus the need for local fans. They want to sell local sponsorships and thus require fans at the game. 

By the way, bowl games make use of the NCAA rules on counting attendance. They count all the tickets sold for reserved seats regardless of if they are occupied or not. And most of bowls have a ticket purchase requirement for the schools that is deducted from the payout, along with a required number of hotel rooms and a required number of meals. With bowl games, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away! 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I didn't want the HOD bowl until tech is involved. I have a PT student from tech that called me out after I was bragging about unt. "Who have you played" while I love that response because it means we're winning, I'd love to kick their ass in front of ours and theirs in Dallas so I can gloat even more! This is only the beginning my friends, this is how dynasties are made from!

Same here.

Please, no more outside the region teams unless its Big 10. 

GMG!