Seth Littrell

untjim1995

How important is Littrell's system? Look what's happened at North Carolina since he left.

UNC was a the #8 ranked team in the country when North Texas hired Littrell. Their only win this season is against ODU. That is an incredibly quick fall from grace.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3

Oh yeah and bring friends his Saturday!  Make it fun and full to see how the West was won. 

Uab check 

Usm check

utsa check plus

Odu check

La Tech check

utep (11.11.17) check mate 

Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Thanks 1

The brutal fact is that North Texas' students/fans do not deserve Littrell, for the most part.  He has resurrected the program and no one has the time to even go to watch....only at North Texas could this happen.  Is Denton, Texas the only place in America that people do not respond to athletic achievement?  Sometimes I wonder.

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 11

On 11/5/2017 at 9:13 AM, drex said:

The brutal fact is that North Texas' students/fans do not deserve Littrell, for the most part.  He has resurrected the program and no one has the time to even go to watch....only at North Texas could this happen.  Is Denton, Texas the only place in America that people do not respond to athletic achievement?  Sometimes I wonder.

Sorry, we knew no students were going to show up to watch us play some Old Minions on that night.

It was the Saturday night before Halloween. There were far too many parties around campus with cold beer in kegs and hot girls in costumes. You do the math Drex, college students have their priorities, and we're not easily going to beat that competition.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, drex said:

No? If you aren't a top 50 programs you will almost always struggle with attendance. The sports market is so saturated by teams, some of which people grew up on. G5 times have big boosts when ranked or at least consistent contenders for conference championships. And even then, it isn't going to be sell out crowds. Just look at Sunbelt, MWC, MAC and CUSA attendance. It ain't just us. In fact, even in that, we're upper middle class at the moment.

• Upvote 3

All we can ask from people who depart is that they leave the program in a better place than what they took over, right? That happens sparingly at North Texas. If Seth leaves this year it will sting, but at least it will end because of success and not, you know, a 59 point homecoming loss to an FCS school. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, drex said:

MUCH TO SAY--MUCH LESS TIME TO SAY IT.

Only those of us who've been around this for well over 5 decades would understand what drex  has said.  Down voting his comment does not take away from the stark truth of it, either. 

When Fry left for the Big 10 he said our attendance was one of the reasons.  We knew it would be.  Probably a reason some of us still harp now about UNT pulling out all the stops for a game in & game out  "large groups" promotions.  Empty seats can be detrimental to a college football program in more ways than one.

Many feel our Coaches & Mean Green football players need much larger audiences at Apogee. We've seen this show too many times before & we just don't want empty seats to be one of the reasons we lose those we'd like to keep on payroll as well as getting more 3 star & up recruits.  We have coaches now who can apparently coach any level star recruits, but more 3 star & up blue chippers will get us to Top 25 rankings sooner. 

Still, Fry  gave  us teams that were exciting & were worthy of sellouts,  but like SUMG has told me many times thru the years  "with Fry we went into every game thinking we had a chance to win."  Looks like Seth Littrell will soon have a similar accolade.👍👍

➡️ Yes, Fry had his DFW media critics, too, of which one  very sarcastically wrote that "he was one of the best Big Game coaches around" which hinted that he  might slip on lesser known opponents.  A Dallas Cowboys official was said to have told SMU powers that Fry wasn't doing a good job for the Mustangs overall football program & not soon after that was said--enter UNT officials President Jitter Nolan & Dr. Roy Busby who would be giving Fry a call.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

SL will be going nowhere because of attendance. If we threw 5 million at him and a P5 only threw 3 million, he would stay here because of 2 million dollars. Sure, our atmosphere sucks. Thank RV, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney for that, as well as University brass in the previous decades. There will be an upward trend in attendance if the winning continues. Just the way collegiate athletics go.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

How important is Littrell's system? Look what's happened at North Carolina since he left.

UNC was a the #8 ranked team in the country when North Texas hired Littrell. Their only win this season is against ODU. That is an incredibly quick fall from grace.

I know SL had a Senior at QB and had 1 or 2 OL that we’re getting looks in the NFL (I believe). No idea who is at QB for UNC now but they are on their 3rd QB in 3 years. The kid from last years who started was the #2 or #3 overall pick last year. They are likely going through the trial by fire stage like we did last year, I would assume?

Believe me, Adler, I have done the math.  Here is the way the math plays out in Texas.  If you are a grad of Texas, TT, A&M or other power 5 schools you have the perception of a degree from there being more valuable than UNT's.  It's a false assumption, but perception is reality.  So, party on students, and get ready for your wake up call a few years down the line.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Sorry, we knew no students were going to show up to watch us play some Old Minions on that night.

It was the Saturday night before Halloween. Their were far too many parties around campus with cold beer in kegs and hot girls in costumes. You do the math Drex, college students have their priorities, and we're never going to beat that competition.

Maybe discounts on beer and slutty costume contests next time?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, drex said:

Believe me, Adler, I have done the math.  Here is the way the math plays out in Texas.  If you are a grad of Texas, TT, A&M or other power 5 schools you have the perception of a degree from there being more valuable than UNT's.  It's a false assumption, but perception is reality.  So, party on students, and get ready for your wake up call a few years down the line.

We old farts have seen everything at UNT & in Denton except childbirth (a variation of a Coach Bill Blakely quote).

FLEAS!!!😧

methinks UNT attendance is tantamount to those "fleas in a coffee can" illustration as in.....no matter if we have 20K, 30K or a 40K enrollment the fleas keep jumping the same height;  that is, we still stay the same in attendance.

We have not had a normal progression of attendance growth as we continue to hang in there with about the same average attendance as 30 years ago--even when in 1973 Denton County had 99,000 population compared to about 800,000 today.  A real bonafide conundrum one might say.

Still those fleas keep jumping at the same height no matter what decade although someone took the lid off that coffee can years ago for there to have been a real golden opportunity for us to jump out of that can & be averaging twice as much at the turnstiles.

Amazingly, many of us are still crazy enough to think this attendance problem can still have a Walt Disney'esque, warm fuzzy ending, but we will have to do something different than what we've been doing.  

🥇WB's 4 for $60 Family Plan with all the percs for the next 2 games is a great start.👍👍

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, drex said:

No Denton isn't.  The only DFW athletic brand that consistently gets a pass when it comes to quality is the Dallas Cowboys.  That is why I love when they lose.  You have local cities and counties falling all of themselves to had Jerry Jones money meanwhile in some of these same cities they don't have public transportation and their school are failing - see Arlington ISD.   And Jerry has no problem signing domestic abusers, alcoholics, and drug addicts but we want to complain about the most minor things when it come to our program.

8 hours ago, Travis said:

We don’t deserve SL?! Come on man. What we don’t deserve is decades of piss poor commitment to athletics and a poor product that not anyone would really want.  We have been down for a long time... to think the very occasional winning season to miraculously change that isn’t being reasonable. 

The committed fans love SL and what we are doing right now. But you gotta see more than just this year to understand why we aren’t sending our life savings and first born to the program. 

Sorry although emotionally I am right there with you feeling this way but it isn't the reality.   The vast majority of students and alumni have not given the administration a reason to invest in the Athletic Department.  Also the city of Denton has not embraced UNT Teams as their teams.  There was even belly aching in the neighborhood next to Apogee when it was announced that would be the location.  If I were not emotionally attached to UNT there would be no way I would accept a AD position here given our history of poor support.  If you add up the attendance of games involving DISD high schools you might have more UNT alumni at them than at Apogee the next day.  But I guarantee there are more Denton residents at those high school games than at Apogee on Saturday.

5 hours ago, drex said:

Drex you are absolutely on point.  This is why I don't get why students don't come to games.  I get that many of them are actually focused on academics and working but that is no excuse for the numbers we see at Apogee.  There are well over 20,000 undergraduate students.  About 8,000 should be showing up for every game.  Only six Saturdays a year and each student can't show up for a least 2 or 3?  And local alumni support is worse.  If students and alumni don't have enough affection for the school to support the football program why would an unconnected employer assume there was something prestigious about the school without researching it?  Employers glance over resumes and if they aren't from the DFW area or researched colleges (specific degree program that pertains to their industry) in the area when they selected their school, UNT is not going to register to them in a resume glance.  SMU got the death penalty and they have better support as smaller private school than we do.  We could trade place in our respective conference and they still would have better game attendance than us.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ADLER said:

UNC ran Fedora's system... Their issue has been injuries.