Looks like HoD Bowl!

JesseMartin

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

If we play Army in the HOD the Cotton Bowl won't look empty.

We know we will bring 30K or better, and Army will certainly draw a good bowl crowd. Navy brought the bulk of the crowd to their 2013 Armed Forces Bowl against MTSU. They had a crowd of 39,246. So, the academies get bowl support. The attendance record for the HOD is 48,313, held by the 2013 game featuring Purdue and OK State. I believe a North Texas/Army rematch will break that record, and that is why I think we are getting this bowl. I know fans of other C-USA programs are mad we seem to be headed to the HOD, but the bowl needs to make money too. Last season, Southern Miss and Washington barely draw 20K.

It would be awesome to have 50k at the bowl game, but I don't think its going to happen.  New Year's Day Bowl vs Tuesday after Christmas.  Should still be a good crowd.

• Upvote 4

My understanding is teams and bowls are paired for attendance. In CUSA, all bowl teams keep the first $100k (regardless of payout) then the conference gets the rest to cover all member bowl expenses. As such, UNT should get the HOD based on the selection focus of attendance. I would be shocked if another bowl materialized.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i looked at the WMU fan site and they don't show the HOD bowl,  they show is the Texas Bowl as a possibility.   I don't think they will be in the HOD bowl playing us.

Talked to the Head Trainer of TCU last night.  He says TCU would like to go to the Texas Bowl.  He is also going to give me a tour of Amon Carter Stadium soon as I've not been inside it since their redux.  I told him I'd rather see it as a bowl participant. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

13 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

My understanding is teams and bowls are paired for attendance. In CUSA, all bowl teams keep the first $100k (regardless of payout) then the conference gets the rest to cover all member bowl expenses. As such, UNT should get the HOD based on the selection focus of attendance. I would be shocked if another bowl materialized.

I thought it was way more...but it may have changed.  I remember for one of the bowls (maybe it was back in the Sun Belt), we got something like 650K but paid expenses out of it.  100K for a bowl berth sounds pretty low, though covering expenses is nice.  I think we net more than 100K for low-attended home games, don't we?

8 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

I thought it was way more...but it may have changed.  I remember for one of the bowls (maybe it was back in the Sun Belt), we got something like 650K but paid expenses out of it.  100K for a bowl berth sounds pretty low, though covering expenses is nice.  I think we net more than 100K for low-attended home games, don't we?

The first $100k then pooled for expenses. After member bowl expenses are paid, this is where I lose track, the remaining is distributed amount bowl teams. I don't remember the rate or %.

To me, under this system, the biggest benefit is extra practice time and exposure for recruiting. Unless your $100K short on a facilities project.

Both the HOD and Armed Forces Bowl are managed by the same company. While La. Tech would prefer the Indy Bowl it probably won't be available to them. Their next preference should be the HOD.However, bowl brokers might like to match the Bulldogs against Navy in Ft. Worth, leaving the HOD available to UNT. Regardless,it appears to be a lock that we bown in the METROPLEX this year.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I like the Cotton Bowl Stadium a lot.  But, I love big historic stadiums.  A lot of you would probably hate the Rose Bowl.

LOL....we're actually here and have the possible choice of the two...(internet wishing wise)...and the two stadiums...and more importantly..the two bowl games are 180 degrees different.  

The AFBowl is lavish...played in a lavish facility where no expense building the place was spared.

Since you love old stadiums,...next time you come home for a home game I'll see if I can arrange for you to watch it from across the street at Fouts.  Because the difference between Fouts and Apogee is the amount of vast difference between Amon Carter and Fair Park Stadium.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 21

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

LOL....we're actually here and have the possible choice of the two...(internet wishing wise)...and the two stadiums...and more importantly..the two bowl games are 180 degrees different.  

The AFBowl is lavish...played in a lavish facility where no expense building the place was spared.

Since you love old stadiums,...next time you come home for a home game I'll see if I can arrange for you to watch it from across the street at Fouts.  Because the difference between Fouts and Apogee is the amount of vast difference between Amon Carter and Fair Park Stadium.

Rick

Jeez man, so codgery.  I'm with you @CMJ.  It's a fantastic historic venue.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

TCU's stadium sucks, bro

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Talked to the Head Trainer of TCU last night.  He says TCU would like to go to the Texas Bowl.  He is also going to give me a tour of Amon Carter Stadium soon as I've not been inside it since their redux.  I told him I'd rather see it as a bowl participant. 

Ya well, TCU got their ass handed to them today against K St. Boo frikety hoo!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Ya well, TCU got their ass handed to them today against K St. Boo frikety hoo!

I noticed.?

46 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They lost their starting qb and starting receiver today. Would be great for that 5-7 at large team to knock them on their ass. One thing we know about UNT is they can game plan a good defense. The issue is consistently executing. 

We'd have to bring our "A+ game" versus Navy.

Still...It's a bowl game so let's make the most of it & have some good ol' fashion college fun!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I noticed.?

We'd have to bring our "A+ game" versus Navy.

Still...It's a bowl game so let's make the most of it & have some good ol' fashion college fun!

GMG!

Navy is now down to their 3rd string QB. They have an upback out too. 

We will still need to bring our A game though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Navy is now down to their 3rd string QB. They have an upback out too. 

We will still need to bring our A game though. 

Exactly. Beware the wounded tiger!