2 interesting things from the radio broadcast

Cr1028

17 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

If you're gonna kick players off the team then there needs to be a damn explanation. And "team rules" does not suffice....Brett....Vito.....

I gave you a plus one, but I might be the only one. I got a lot of minuses for a similar opinon last week. As I said before this weeks loss, if the results are good we will all be ok with this in the long run. But if we don't manage to get enough good WRs in, particularly if this event repeats, we will start to wonder what is really going on and if it is the coach being a hardass or the players f'ing up.

Edited by outoftown
  • Downvote 6

24 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I gave you a plus one, but I might be the only one. I got a lot of minuses for a similar opinon last week. As I said before this weeks loss, if the results are good we will all be ok with this in the long run. But if we don't manage to get enough good WRs in, particularly if this event repeats, we will start to wonder what is really going on and if it is the coach being a hardass or the players f'ing up.

IF kicking players off the team becomes a trend (which it hasn't yet), it becomes a reflection on the coaching staff for not taking enough preventive actions toward breaking team rules to keep coaches from having to take reactive actions. Then we can start holding the coaching staff accountable, but you still don't need to know the details of the team rules that are being broken. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

They are students, people.  There is no need to tell the public why you removed them from an athletic scholarship anymore than there is a need to tell the public why they removed any student from any other scholarship.  In fact there is a ton of privacy laws saying you shouldn't.

If there was a police report we (on the board) could talk about that.  There isn't, so expecting the school to talk about disciplinary action when the student doesn't want it to be public is a good way to invite lawsuits.

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This thread might read differently in a day where we are compensating these athletes with money beyond their scholarships/student expenses.

Not really.  You can't go around and broadcast to the public why a student employee was fired either.  The key term is student.  

7 hours ago, TheRiojas_AD said:

See "Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act" Yes, they are ball players and yes we all have a vested interest in seeing our teams succeed, but these are students. They are student's first. Not employees. http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

And FERPA is powerful. All of us who work with this data are highly cognizant of any action or speech, whether idle or intent, that could violate it. It's an immediately-fireable offense to do so.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Not really.  You can't go around and broadcast to the public why a student employee was fired either.  The key term is student.  

You can't go around and broadcast to the public why an eemployee was fired either.  Privacy.

• Upvote 1

The only people that need to know are the coaching staff, Robinson, and Goree. That's it. If anyone is fired up to know what happened then knock yourself out and ask one of the parties involved. See how far you get with that. I trust that the violations were either: 1. Repeated violations. or 2. Bad enough to warrant immediate dismissal. Either way I trust the coaching staff to make the decisions that are in the best interests of the team and university. Good luck to Robinson and Goree in whatever and wherever their path takes them. I wish them nothing but the best.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Obviously didn't spend too much time working on spelling.

Good one, Joe!

It still upsets me that you couldn't remember me buying a Raleigh 10 speed from your Denton Bicycle Store back when I was a student!  (uh, just kiddin', Judge Joe).

GMG!  Beat Army!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:48 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

IF kicking players off the team becomes a trend (which it hasn't yet), it becomes a reflection on the coaching staff for not taking enough preventive actions toward breaking team rules to keep coaches from having to take reactive actions. Then we can start holding the coaching staff accountable, but you still don't need to know the details of the team rules that are being broken. 

The players he seems to be having issues with are not "his" players.  They came with the territory....  many coaches have "issues" with players they did not recruit....and players have issues with coaches that did not recruit them....  Let SL get his players in place and see how that works out...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/27/2016 at 4:34 PM, Christopher Walker said:

And FERPA is powerful. All of us who work with this data are highly cognizant of any action or speech, whether idle or intent, that could violate it. It's an immediately-fireable offense to do so.

I don't recall FERPA being all that powerful when I was in student affairs.  Not that we were 'allowed' to do it.  We were well educated on what FERPA was and what we could and couldn't do. For me, I easily complied because it makes obvious sense and it protects the students. But, I don't recall there ever being any real teeth or consequence to breaking it at the time. 

On 11/27/2016 at 5:34 PM, Christopher Walker said:

FERPA! I couldn't remember what it was called!

One part of the story of the Baylor transfer from Boise State that committed a rape before he ever joined the team. Former Coach Chris Petersen told the press he had "full appraised" Briles about the player. Boise State was very quick to come back and say nothing about any team violations that may or may not have happened had been passed along to Baylor. The the press went back to Petersen for clarification, his LAWYER said Petersen never said anything that might have violated FERPA and that Petersen had never passed on any information about any allegations of wrong doing by the player. Rather the lawyer said Petersen "full appraised" Briles about the plays abilities as a player and nothing else. Both Boise and Petersen (and his lawyer) went out of their ways to make certain they couldn't be accused of FERPA violations.