MGB: Seth Littrell presser notes

Brett Vito

UNT couldn’t stuff the ball into the end zone from a yard out at the end of the first half. The Mean Green were lined up in the shotgun on that series of plays. Littrell said UNT has pondered the value of going under center in certain situations. I will delve into it more in the paper tomorrow

This made me smile.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

45 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

Nice to see he is open to change concerning goal line under center. I would look really hard at putting Alec in with that situation because of size.

Close down UNT running game by filling the box! Sound familiar? 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

How could he disagree with that notion on Wilson. Is he blind or dumb?  That is 100% fact. Not opinion. 

And if you've pondered going under center that means you think there is value to it. So, uh, DO IT!!!!!!

I really wonder about you sometimes.

29 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Nice to see he is open to change concerning goal line under center. I would look really hard at putting Alec in with that situation because of size.

Close down UNT running game by filling the box! Sound familiar? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you didn't specifically call for a QB sneak here but I've seen it mentioned several times, don't you lose any element of surprise of a QB sneak if you throw Alec in there, a QB we haven't played since week 2? Wouldn't his presence behind center in that situation give the opposing defense an idea of the play call? If he has to check out of the play, what does he check out to? Do we really want him going to a passing play? With Mason's speed, we should be able to run a bootleg and get him to the edge before the defense has time to figure out the play and get to Mason. If we're going to put somebody under center from the 1 and have them try to go through the line, I would almost rather have Rutherford take the direct snap (not under center) with Mason lined up at WR to throw off the defense a bit and have Rutherford try to leap over the line. At 6 foot 5 from the one yard line, he should be able to make it à la Matt Stafford (start from the three minute since it won't play here): 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

Having just watched the video, I wouldn't expect us under center this year. While he did say they've talked about it, he also said but then we'd have to allocate time to practicing it and the problem that some of the QB's have never taken snaps from center before. He worries about fumbles in that situation. He also said we need to execute better or maybe call better plays.

49 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you didn't specifically call for a QB sneak here but I've seen it mentioned several times, don't you lose any element of surprise of a QB sneak if you throw Alec in there, a QB we haven't played since week 2? Wouldn't his presence behind center in that situation give the opposing defense an idea of the play call? If he has to check out of the play, what does he check out to? Do we really want him going to a passing play? With Mason's speed, we should be able to run a bootleg and get him to the edge before the defense has time to figure out the play and get to Mason. If we're going to put somebody under center from the 1 and have them try to go through the line, I would almost rather have Rutherford take the direct snap (not under center) with Mason lined up at WR to throw off the defense a bit and have Rutherford try to leap over the line. At 6 foot 5 from the one yard line, he should be able to make it à la Matt Stafford (start from the three minute since it won't play here): 

MF at 170 is not a threat under center to sneak. I would also be very concerned with the exchange. Alec surely has practice hand offs and pitch plays. With  d tackles on the nose or pinching gives a few more running lanes! A lot of teams have brought in a bigger unit for short yardage. Fine in the red zone should stay in shot gun and a roll out option with his speed could be a play.gmg

You are suggesting something as a 100% fact that can have a million different results. We could win or lose many ways when Wilson has a set number of yards, a correlation of the past does not present a guaranteed outcome of a future game.  

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

You are suggesting something as a 100% fact that can have a million different results. We could win or lose many ways when Wilson has a set number of yards, a correlation of the past does not present a guaranteed outcome of a future game.  

It does guarantee a stacked box! Watch the rest of the Ds we play this year. Oc knows and needs to figure a way to handle it besides keep handing off! 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Causation vs Correlation

Yep.  If you're turning it over 4 times when your opponent turns it over zero times, that gives your offense fewer plays and by extension your RB fewer carries.  Plus, playing from behind, where 4 turnovers tends to put you, dictates a different offensive gameplan than playing with a lead.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I'm not saying that it does or doesn't. All I am saying and was saying it during and right after the loss was that SO FAR we go as far as Wilson takes us. He disagrees with that...Please...Let me break it down for you...

Loss                                                           Win

vs SMU - 15 car, 86 yds 1TD                     vs Bethune - 14 car, 83 yds 2TD

@ Fla - 10 car, 26 yds 0TD                        @ Rice - 18 car, 157 yds 3TD

vs Middle - 10 car, 24 yds 1TD                  vs Marshall - 26 car, 188 yds 2TD

@ UTSA - 19 car, 43 yds, 0TD                   @ Army - 15 car, 160 yds 3TD

179 yds on 54 car, 2TD, 3.3ypc                  588 yds on 73 car, 10TD, 8.0ypc

Before Saturday the run game gets abandoned too early. When our simple zone run game goes weary we look like an offense just out there muddling around. Like I said, we go as Wilson goes and if he's not going our coaching staff doesn't have an answer. The stats are there. Listen to them. End of convo as far as I'm concerned. It would be great for a coaching staff not to deny reality. First time I have heard Littrell doing such. Silver lining I guess.                       

24 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Yep.  If you're turning it over 4 times when your opponent turns it over zero times, that gives your offense fewer plays and by extension your RB fewer carries.  Plus, playing from behind, where 4 turnovers tends to put you, dictates a different offensive gameplan than playing with a lead.

Sure. But one of those could have easily been negated by our coaching staff by a simple play call on the 12 inch line. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

How could he disagree with that notion on Wilson. Is he blind or dumb?  That is 100% fact. Not opinion. 

And if you've pondered going under center that means you think there is value to it. So, uh, DO IT!!!!!!

I think you are taking him too literally.   A coach singling out any one player is never a good idea.   If the question had been directed towards the running game in general, he may have answered differently.  

I agree that Wilson is one of our top players.  But, he still has less than 1/2 of the overall carries on this team (including Fine).     

38 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I think you are taking him too literally.   A coach singling out any one player is never a good idea.   If the question had been directed towards the running game in general, he may have answered differently.  

I agree that Wilson is one of our top players.  But, he still has less than 1/2 of the overall carries on this team (including Fine).     

I don't think he was asked about our run game in general. In the wording in Brett's article, it says that Littrell disagreed that our offense doesn't go as Wilson goes. I could imagine it being kind of belittling to a coach to hear something like that unless you got a Heisman stud back there like a McCaffery or Derrick Henry. It insinuates that we suck unless this player currently isn't sucking. Takes credit away from other players, coaching preparation, etc. It currently is what it is. As a program we can't afford to drop winnable games to maintain momentum. It's frustrating and the ineptitude in the play calling and lack of consistency in the offense given we have an offensive guy is alarming. The players and the coaches have to get better.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, All About UNT said:

then if you line up in short yardage situation and have to line up in the shotgun then AT LEAST use a fullback.  Wilson has fumbled quite a few times this year and doesn't have a huge and powerful frame.

I think the FB had lost his helmet the previous play, iirc

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't think he was asked about our run game in general. In the wording in Brett's article, it says that Littrell disagreed that our offense doesn't go as Wilson goes. I could imagine it being kind of belittling to a coach to hear something like that unless you got a Heisman stud back there like a McCaffery or Derrick Henry. It insinuates that we suck unless this player currently isn't sucking. Takes credit away from other players, coaching preparation, etc. It currently is what it is. As a program we can't afford to drop winnable games to maintain momentum. It's frustrating and the ineptitude in the play calling and lack of consistency in the offense given we have an offensive guy is alarming. The players and the coaches have to get better.  

But you also have to look at what SL is working with.  He has an O-Line that is not/was not recruited for his style of play.  I believe SL is working a semi-hybrid scheme to make the most out of what he has.  I do wish we would have won the game, but jumping on the back of this coaching staff who have already succeed at a higher level than many would have believed possible.  Give them time to build their team that reflects their style of play.  Sit back and enjoy the increase effort these boys are giving, and hopefully a couple more wins.  Criticizing their coaching at this point is fruitless....and frankly smells of an attitude of somebody whose name will not be mentioned....  I know that is not your style....

• Upvote 1