"The 17"

UNTLifer

Everywhere, in every field, there are a small group of people that must be kept happy. Exactly who they are changes over time, but it's true everywhere. The number seems to refer to the number of boxes at Apogee, plus or minus one or two. 

I understand that and evidently our current number stands at 17. Who are they?

Then if there isn't a "17" please stop referring to them.  I want to know who they are?  If they are under RV's thumb, which makes zero sense, then I want the ability to reach out to them                 

It's a term that originated with Fry when he discussed the number of $10k+/yr MGC members.   Look at  a game program to see the names.

• Upvote 1

Then if there isn't a "17" please stop referring to them.  I want to know who they are?  If they are under RV's thumb, which makes zero sense, then I want the ability to reach out to them                 

they're the 1% of the OccupyRV drama that's unfolded over the past few months.

there's a lot of hilarious irony in their loudest dissenters, too. #WeAreTheUNT99%  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Makes no sense that the people with the greatest financial stake wish to continue to fund an RV led department.

What if you had unlimited team access and got to constantly fly on the team plane, was wined and dined on the AD at every opportunity and possibly got work contracts for the University out of it?

Oh and it is North Texas on the "no sense" part.  I would still want RV long gone. 

Makes no sense that the people with the greatest financial stake wish to continue to fund an RV led department.

Sure it does. They are paying for access. Paying to fly on the team charter, paying to be a big shot.

At any other program, they would have to pay at least 10 times as much to get the special treatment. 

Then there is the personal time with the AD, the influence over coaching hires and fires(whether real or something they just perceive), and the manipulation of "inside" information that is fed to them by RV.

Its a rich person's play toy. And it's a bargain.

they're the 1% of the OccupyRV drama that's unfolded over the past few months.

there's a lot of hilarious irony in their loudest dissenters, too. #WeAreTheUNT99%  

You rarely miss an opportunity to misunderstand things.

• Upvote 6

The UNT 17 moniker came directly from Flyonthewall, who said that there weren't a dozen big donors running things, it was 17, to be exact.

You can start there...but it will be a colossal waste of your time. They like the access to the program that RV gives them. They have convinced themselves that being close to RV is exactly same thing as their UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, and SMU buddies that either brag about knowing their ADs personally. Fly, in particular, said that this started for him when he and his wife decided they were tired of being embarrassed in their circle of friends when college athletics got brought up, so he decided to buy his place within the ADs inner circle to help influence the direction of the program. HE COMPLETELY BUYS INTO RV"S VISION!!! So do the others, who don't have any interest in admitting they got swindled on their investment, nor do they want to mingle with the 99% of the fanbase that contribute under them. RV cares ONLY about these guys--they buy him time because they buy out his dumbass hires, which keeps the BOR happy because the university doesn't have to buy the contracts out and it keep us in budget. You don't get to be a Great Value by staying out of budget...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sure it does. They are paying for access. Paying to fly on the team charter, paying to be a big shot.

At any other program, they would have to pay at least 10 times as much to get the special treatment. 

Then there is the personal time with the AD, the influence over coaching hires and fires(whether real or something they just perceive), and the manipulation of "inside" information that is fed to them by RV.

Its a rich person's play toy. And it's a bargain.

You rarely miss an opportunity to misunderstand things.

that money buys the 17 privilege, influence and opportunity within a dysfunctional system and that those on the outside are fed up with money equating speech, not having their voices and concerns adequately heard and are willing to loudly protest for change? 

is that not what you're saying?

or, literally, what you just said in the 4 sentences preceding your response to me? 

• Upvote 1

that money buys the 17 privilege, influence and opportunity within a dysfunctional system and that those on the outside are fed up with money equating speech, not having their voices and concerns adequately heard and are willing to loudly protest for change? 

is that not what you're saying?

or, literally, what you just said in the 4 sentences preceding your response to me? 

Sad that you don't get it.

Take it to the pie forum if you wanna compare this to ANYTHING political, please. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What if you had unlimited team access and got to constantly fly on the team plane, was wined and dined on the AD at every opportunity and possibly got work contracts for the University out of it?

Oh and it is North Texas on the "no sense" part.  I would still want RV long gone. 

I want RV gone due to lack of performance and if I was a big donor I would expect results or I would stop giving.  If they are receiving work contracts without utilizing the required RFP system, then would that not be illegal and grounds for termination?

After reading the other responses, I would be ashamed if I was one of the "mythical 17" that support a program that is being run in the ground.  I would not want my name associated with a 1-11 program that is ranked the worst in Texas and who's leadership is becoming the laughingstock of CUSA.  I find it hard to believe that these successful business people will continue to throw their money at the product being put out by RV.  They didn't achieve their success in life making stupid decisions, so why start now?  Guess I don't share that mindset and have trouble understanding those that do/would.

• Upvote 1

I want RV gone due to lack of performance and if I was a big donor I would expect results or I would stop giving.  If they are receiving work contracts without utilizing the required RFP system, then would that not be illegal and grounds for termination?

See my answer above...they have made it clear that RV is their guy. It doesn't matter what you or I do as donors now or what we would do IF we were big donors. All that matters at UNT is that 17 people have made it clear to the BOR that RV is not to be removed. Smatresk, whether he cares or not about RV as President, isn't gonna be able to make a change there. So he gets to pick another football coach and another basketball coach to hire as replacements for his failed hires that will have gotten fired in the last 12 months (includes womens hoops). Nowhere else would this be acceptable with one of the worst attendance figures for your main money sport in the 15th year of your tenure...nowhere but North F'ing Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

See my answer above...they have made it clear that RV is their guy. It doesn't matter what you or I do as donors now or what we would do IF we were big donors. All that matters at UNT is that 17 people have made it clear to the BOR that RV is not to be removed. Smatresk, whether he cares or not about RV as President, isn't gonna be able to make a change there. So he gets to pick another football coach and another basketball coach to hire as replacements for his failed hires that will have gotten fired in the last 12 months (includes womens hoops). Nowhere else would this be acceptable with one of the worst attendance figures for your main money sport in the 15th year of your tenure...nowhere but North F'ing Texas.

I find this rather hard to believe especially the part regarding not allowing the university president to do his job. 

• Upvote 1

I find this rather hard to believe especially the part regarding not allowing the university president to do his job. 

President Smatresk refused to give RV a vote of confidence after RV asked. Smatresk them leaked this fact to the media.

If he could fire him, it's pretty clear he would have by now. People like Fly and Ernie are either threatening to withhold money or the BOR is protecting RV. Or a combination of both.

What is clear is that Smatresk wants him gone but doesn't have the clout to get it done.

I count 19 actual people not counting companies.
I know four of those are rather, uh, verbose - including David (Fly).

I think Ernie is the driving force on this thing. 

Someday he will get tired of throwing good money after bad with RV, but that day obviously is not upon us. 

Some people just don't want to admit they are wrong, especially when they have a personal relationship with the person they were wrong about.

Some of you in bad marriages can (or will refuse to) relate. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After reading the other responses, I would be ashamed if I was one of the "mythical 17" that support a program that is being run in the ground.  I would not want my name associated with a 1-11 program that is ranked the worst in Texas and who's leadership is becoming the laughingstock of CUSA.  I find it hard to believe that these successful business people will continue to throw their money at the product being put out by RV.  They didn't achieve their success in life making stupid decisions, so why start now?  Guess I don't share that mindset and have trouble understanding those that do/would.

No idea if they are or not, or if it even happens, I have heard it spread around once or twice. It is speculation probably but I don't really know one way or another.  I was plenty upset without that. 

Lifer you might be coming close to joining the dark side. Be careful. 

Edited by KingDL1