"The 17"

UNTLifer

I can admit that, since I don't know everything going on in the AD, I can't say for sure if it makes sense or not. There are so many things that we don't know which makes it impossible to make a firm determination either way. Do you know everything going on? Since you are so wrapped around the axle about everything, I would guess no, but I have been wrong before. But I will bow to your infinite and infallible wisdom in this and all things.

I'll make it easy on you. Give me one scenario where this would be beneficial to UNT. Be sure you read it before posting it. Just so you don't post something completely ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Not sure how not letting him make the final call on the hire means he is doing nothing and just kicking back and collecting a paycheck. Just speculation on may part, but I think that Smatresk doesn't want to be attempting to make that many athletics hires all at once while attempting to lead the university proper as well. He may get the HFC hire made, then basketball (nothing so far to believe that it is not coming), then make an AD change after those are done and school is out for the summer. Again, my guess, but the man is busy and adding that many important personnel decisions all at once would just add to the issue. Add to that that he would have to take a much more hands on approach to the AD day-to-day without a Director in place and I can see why he may want to slow roll the whole thing. 

Not to mention fully opening the New College in Frisco as well.

2 things:

1) Someone recently mentioned something about listening to the 17 and not including other groups, such as lettermen.  Aren't Jordan Case, C. Dan Smith, and Ernie Kuehne all former lettermen?

2) There may be another angle from which to view all of this.  For instance, when the topic of losing Rick comes up, couldn't they perhaps be paranoid that things will get "as bad as they used to be" in terms of the admin refusing involvement at all circa pre-1980 or so?  If that is a known fact (that donors were turned away before and thus the department overall sucked even worse, in some opinions), then it might be less leverage and more paranoia on nearly everyone's behalf that they don't want a return to a similar situation.  Just a thought.

Hooray for the 17.  I wonder why some want to make an enemy of obviously some of NT's best fans.  I don't know why they continue to support RV, but it is certainly their right to do so.

A reference was made above to them thinking of themselves akin to the big donors of power programs and guess what: they are exactly like those donors.  Money is influence at NT as it is at most institutions.  The number and the buy-ins may be difference, but they exist at almost every level of college sports.  

I applaud their donations and involvement although I do wish they would take a more critical look at the athletic department situation.

• Upvote 6

2 things:

1) Someone recently mentioned something about listening to the 17 and not including other groups, such as lettermen.  Aren't Jordan Case, C. Dan Smith, and Ernie Kuehne all former lettermen?

2) There may be another angle from which to view all of this.  For instance, when the topic of losing Rick comes up, couldn't they perhaps be paranoid that things will get "as bad as they used to be" in terms of the admin refusing involvement at all circa pre-1980 or so?  If that is a known fact (that donors were turned away before and thus the department overall sucked even worse, in some opinions), then it might be less leverage and more paranoia on nearly everyone's behalf that they don't want a return to a similar situation.  Just a thought.

Looking backward and not forward is a sure plan for failure, in business as well as life.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll make it easy on you. Give me one scenario where this would be beneficial to UNT. Be sure you read it before posting it. Just so you don't post something completely ridiculous. 

Smatresk is busy and this is how he decided it was best based on the information available to him that is not available to us. And I read it multiple times and it doesn't seem too ridiculous. And you wonder why people on here don't seem to like you. 

Not to mention fully opening the New College in Frisco as well.

Completely ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If anyone believes the President of the University is not going to be heavily-involved in the hire of by far the highest-paid member of his faculty/staff, you're out of your mind.
If anyone believes that "the 17" or whoever else is going to be coughing up most of this salary, is not going to be heavily-involved in the hire, you're out of your mind.

This hire is not just for the Athletic Director to make.  It never has been, and it never will be, regardless of who the Athletic Director is.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Smatresk is busy and this is how he decided it was best based on the information available to him that is not available to us. And I read it multiple times and it doesn't seem too ridiculous. And you wonder why people on here don't seem to like you. 

Completely ridiculous.

So again, athletics takes a back seat to everything else at UNT. Got it. 

Guess what. Smatresk has a staff. He doesn't do everything himself. 

Not your best work. And yes, it was ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So again, athletics takes a back seat to everything else at UNT. Got it. 

Guess what. Smatresk has a staff. He doesn't do everything himself. 

Not your best work. And yes, it was ridiculous. 

God forbid that the university serve the students first and be more focused on educating them than firing the athletics staff and completely rebuilding the department. How dare they! Don't they know that UNT90 is pissed off and he isn't going to take it?! Screw those students and the obscene amounts of money they are borrowing to get an education, we have games to win and people to fire! I hope Smatresk now knows where he should focus his energy and just let the rest of the university run itself.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

God forbid that the university serve the students first and be more focused on educating them than firing the athletics staff and completely rebuilding the department. How dare they! Don't they know that UNT90 is pissed off and he isn't going to take it?! Screw those students and the obscene amounts of money they are borrowing to get an education, we have games to win and people to fire! I hope Smatresk now knows where he should focus his energy and just let the rest of the university run itself.

They can do both. And you know that.

• Upvote 1

If anyone believes the President of the University is not going to be heavily-involved in the hire of by far the highest-paid member of his faculty/staff, you're out of your mind.
If anyone believes that "the 17" or whoever else is going to be coughing up most of this salary, is not going to be heavily-involved in the hire, you're out of your mind.

This hire is not just for the Athletic Director to make.  It never has been, and it never will be, regardless of who the Athletic Director is.

This is very true, on every level. But, as with most managerial positions, the responsibility lies on the direct leader of the department that is under-performing. The GM of a baseball or football team may be the one responsible for the roster that sucks, but the head coach or coordinators are the ones who get the axe first, usually.

Smatresk, RV, his 17 BFFs, and the BOR all have various levels of input. But the next hire that fails is still going to be considered a RV hire, both by fans and media. Smatresk isn't getting fired for the head coach sucking in football or hoops, nor or any member of the BOR. But at most schools, the AD would be on the chopping block in a minute. Just not here...for all of the reasons we have gone over infinitum

RV will be here to make two hires that bring in revenue to the school, just not as much as it could easily do if we got someone in here that could win. That's well above my donation-grade, obviously. I accept that this is what the university finds acceptable. I like football and mens basketball, with teams that can compete to finish at least .500 while playing actual schools I have heard of before (not many of the schools Benford gets to play at the Pit in OOC). My university doesn't want that. And that's ok.

I saw where we just got the oldest working organ in the state of Texas to be moved up here from Victoria and the university, rightfully, trumpeted that news on Facebook and other media outlets. That's the type of thing they are proud of and I have come to understand that there is nothing wrong with them wanting the music department to be their primary window. And its what a majority of the UNT Family wants, as well. Its certainly double the amount of people that are students or alumni that care about athletics around here. If you doubt that, look at the UNT Facebook page or the majority of letters to the editor of the DRC regarding athletic support at UNT. Its just not close...

Yes, but there is not an infinite amount of time for both so time must be divided between the two, so things happen at a slower pace. And you know that.

it doesn't take a lot of time to fire someone. Then you have a committee of trusted staff narrow the candidates to finalists and then it's 4 interviews.

This isn't rocket science. It's clear RV is being protected. 

And it's so UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

it doesn't take a lot of time to fire someone.

That is not always true. RV is not an at will employee, and sometimes it does take more time to fire a long tenured state employee who is under contract. Especially when there are a lot of stake-holders in the decision. I don't know what all is going on behind the scenes, but it is apparent that Smatresk is not satisfied with current performance within the AD. Just because things haven't happened on your terms and timeline does not mean that things aren't going to happen in the future. 

• Upvote 2

That is not always true. RV is not an at will employee, and sometimes it does take more time to fire a long tenured state employee who is under contract. Especially when there are a lot of stake-holders in the decision. I don't know what all is going on behind the scenes, but it is apparent that Smatresk is not satisfied with current performance within the AD. Just because things haven't happened on your terms and timeline does not mean that things aren't going to happen in the future. 

It is? Unless you're privy to something I'm not all I've seen is a anonymous report that he wouldn't give RV a public approval.

It is? Unless you're privy to something I'm not all I've seen is a anonymous report that he wouldn't give RV a public approval.

There are posts from several on this board where he has expressed that attendance is bad and he expected to be so and other types of candid speech. Maybe I am reading into it a bit, but not any more so than many others in many different directions.

• Upvote 1

It's not 17.  It's 6,..maybe 7.

As for the idea that you just can't expect to clean house around this time of year because of timing or it's too busy etc....

Rutgers Fires Football Coach And Athletic Director

Central Florida Replaces Interim AD O'Leary With Buffalo's Danny White.

December of 2014

Pitt replaces coach..fires AD

Question...

What is the past connection with Kuhne and SMU?  Anyone know?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Henry August "Hank" Kuehne II (born September 11, 1975)"

Something tells me our guy isn't 40 years old.  This his son, right?  

Theres another connection possibly stemming to his son once playing at SMU....a donation connection possibly?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I have no doubt things will happen in the future, problem is we will have hired one, maybe 2 more coaches by then. 

And then you ask a new AD to take over someone else's choice at coach when he could have made those decisions if things had been handled like they would have been at every other FBS university not named North Texas. 

• Upvote 3

I have no doubt things will happen in the future, problem is we will have hired one, maybe 2 more coaches by then. 

And then you ask a new AD to take over someone else's choice at coach when he could have made those decisions if things had been handled like they would have been at every other FBS university not named North Texas. 

The whole thing is not ideal, but we are where we are, I am just trying to make the best of it.