If Riley is truly out. My new favorite target.

TheReal_jayD

I believe Mike norvell has the energy, youth and passion UNT needs in its next HC. He also has more experience running a offense at a big school. norvell is also a Dallas native so hopefully he would help recruiting the DFW area. He has also been called ASU top recruiter. I think if Lincoln is truly out whichi don't think he could turn down that type of pay raise. I think Mike would be a great consolation prize. 

http://www.azcentral.com/videos/sports/college/territorial-cup/2014/11/26/19563161/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/08/08/offensive-coordinator-mike-norvell-breaks-down-asus-offense/31358121/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/10/22/what-makes-mike-norvell-asus-top-recruiter/74400330/

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I believe that Norvell would be an excellent choice although we might have to raise the ante a little more to get him.  He currently makes $800,000 so we might have to move above $1 million to get him.  I don't know whether he's on any of the P5's short list or not but I expect that he soon will be.

On the other hand, if Riley's statement about being a candidate is merely damage control to keep him focused on Baylor, TCU, and Okie State then the choice could become quite interesting.  There are a number of good coordinators available but only a few who have been successful head coaches at the Division I level.  Exciting times.

• Upvote 1

What is Riley making?  If he is making 700k he I don't think he is coming here for less than 900k.  As for Norvell if 800k is current salary, I don't think he comes for less than 1.2 million.  On a wild tangent; (Bare with me cause I know it isn't going to happen) what would you guys say to Lane Kiffin desperate to be a head coach again at the FBS to get back to the NFL?  If he were willing to come here for 1.2 million what would you hire him here?

• Downvote 1

What is Riley making?  If he is making 700k he I don't think he is coming here for less than 900k.  As for Norvell if 800k is current salary, I don't think he comes for less than 1.2 million.  On a wild tangent; (Bare with me cause I know it isn't going to happen) what would you guys say to Lane Kiffin desperate to be a head coach again at the FBS to get back to the NFL?  If he were willing to come here for 1.2 million what would you hire him here?

I thought news reports said that Riley makes $500k? There could be a good chance for him to earn a raise though.

MGN reported that Mike Norvell was HIGHLY interested in UNT. If Riley is out, I think a lot of people are placing him on the next pick list.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to Lane Kiffin. I would rather have his dad's colostomy bag than Lane Kiffin being anywhere near our team.

• Upvote 2

I believe that Norvell would be an excellent choice although we might have to raise the ante a little more to get him.  He currently makes $800,000 so we might have to move above $1 million to get him.  I don't know whether he's on any of the P5's short list or not but I expect that he soon will be.

On the other hand, if Riley's statement about being a candidate is merely damage control to keep him focused on Baylor, TCU, and Okie State then the choice could become quite interesting.  There are a number of good coordinators available but only a few who have been successful head coaches at the Division I level.  Exciting times.

I believe he's making $900K at ASU, but Mike Norvell would be my top choice right now too. 

• Upvote 2

I would have liked Norvell better if his team hadn't just lost 3 straight, including an "ugly" loss to the pirate up in the Palouse over the weekend.  In fairness, Wazzu has been better than many had thought they would be earlier (I mean, lose to Portland State?), but Leach's teams have never been known for great defense, and Norvell is the Arizona OC.  Three games left, they need 2 wins to be bowl eligible.

Not a lot of love for Norvell from ASU fans after the latest loss: http://www.scout.com/college/arizona-state/forums/1679-devils-inferno/14264377-novell-s-new-nickname

Same with Spavital and A&M fans; can't tell you how many of my friends posted "Fire Spavital" posts this weekend. They even tried to sell him on craigslist (I wonder if RV responded): http://fansided.com/2015/11/08/texas-am-fan-jake-spavital-craigslist/

I know fans aren't always the best evaluators of coaching talent, but does it concern anyone else that some of the top targets I've heard mentioned are on teams that are falling apart and are on the hot stove with their fan bases? 

The only one that seems to get great admiration from the fans is Riley, who is "not a candidate." 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not a lot of love for Norvell from ASU fans after the latest loss: http://www.scout.com/college/arizona-state/forums/1679-devils-inferno/14264377-novell-s-new-nickname

Same with Spavital and A&M fans; can't tell you how many of my friends posted "Fire Spavital" posts this weekend. They even tried to sell him on craigslist (I wonder if RV responded): http://fansided.com/2015/11/08/texas-am-fan-jake-spavital-craigslist/

I know fans aren't always the best evaluators of coaching talent, but does it concern anyone else that some of the top targets I've heard mentioned are on teams that are falling apart and are on the hot stove with their fan bases? 

The only one that seems to get great admiration from the fans is Riley, who is "not a candidate." 

Let me introduce you to fickle fans...

See just about every thread from last week about how great Canales would be if he were the new HC.

• Upvote 2

Let me introduce you to fickle fans...

See just about every thread from last week about how great Canales would be if he were the new HC.

Both teams have lost 3 in a row, in large part because of the offense, so it seems warranted at the moment from both fan bases. What worries me is that might be exactly what we end up getting a realistic shot at, guys whose stock is dropping.  

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

Spavital hasnt really accomplished as much as Norvell. Just my opinion but Spavital was handed a lot of weapons and really hanst produced.

Norvell has been an OC for 5 years now. Is Norvell calling bad plays or could turnovers be a problem?

Against WSU -1

Against Oregon -1

Against Utah -2

They are 96th in Turnover Margin per game

112 in fumbles per game

64th in INTs per game. 

Just my take Norvell has had a pretty solid track record. I'm not sure how he ended up being paid as one of the top 10 assistants in college football without being good.

Both teams have lost 3 in a row, in large part because of the offense, so it seems warranted at the moment from both fan bases. 

Well, not really.  A&M dropped 2 of the last 3, a win against USC mixed in, with pretty dismal offensive performances, but the Alabama loss was the 2nd highest score allowed by Alabama all year, next to their Ole Miss loss.   

The Arizona St concerns are more real.   But they seem to be getting beat mostly due to their defense.

Well, not really.  A&M dropped 2 of the last 3, a win against USC mixed in, with pretty dismal offensive performances, but the Alabama loss was the 2nd highest score allowed by Alabama all year, next to their Ole Miss loss.   
The Arizona St concerns are more real.   But they seem to be getting beat mostly due to their defense.

Shoot, you're right, forgot about South Carolina. 3 out of 4 is what I meant. Yeah, but 3 points against Ole Miss and 10 against Auburn is a big concern and their QB situation is a mess. A&M it is clear that the offense is falling apart, haven't watched enough of ASU to determine the situation there. All I know is that they are 4-5 and his stock is surely falling. 4 out of 5 of those losses the offense did not seem impressive at all, including the opener to A&M which I did watch. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes