Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

• Harry pinned this topic

Harlon Barnett - DC Michigan St.

Brady Hoke - Former head coach Ball St., San Diego St., & Michigan

I would be so on board with Brady Hoke

I like Hoke too. Hadn't thought about him before this thread.

After the complete and utter mismanagement of his players' health on-field at the end of his Michigan tenure, I wouldn't want to see him anywhere near athletes again.

• Upvote 5

UNT is at a real cross roads and none of the "getable" names are going to be able to do the job here.  The apathy and disgust with this team is at an all time high.  UNT needs throw a hail Mary and hire a coach with national credibility or connection to a successful run with the Dallas Cowboys.  For all the positives at UNT the disgust, apathy and recent history of losing make it not that attractive place to play.  You need a coach whose name will grab a recruits attention over come their reflex to ignore anything he has to say after telling the recruit he is the head coach at UNT.  If we keep RV and don't keep Canales (Chico) as head coach with a very economical contract the program is walking backwards.  Unless the new is a true genius and can put together back to back winning seasons with inferior talent this program in going no where.  By hiring one these attractive "getable" coaches all program is going to do is be mediocre, they will lose more fans and be forced into firing the coach and shelling out another buyout.  I don't know what the rules are but it would be very reveling to do some market research to what your average freshman DFW athlete thinks of UNT.  A survey of top 5 reasons they wouldn't go to UNT.  I think the results would be amazing and eye opening for alumni and maybe force the UNT community to make some hard decisions.  We have to hire a coach with a name bigger that UNT in it's own right.  We need the Spurriers, Holtzs, or some other nationally known coaching family to take over more that just the head coaching position.  Maybe a NFL legend like Mike Singletary.  But you have to sell one these coaches on the notion of creating a dynasty at UNT.  You can't do that with an older retread like Dan was (and I loved Dan) but realistically with his health even if he was just a little more successful how long would he have been able to maintain it?  Then they would have handed to program to one of his assistants like Canales. So fast forward to 2020.  Chico is in his second year after Dan's retired after posting a .500 record and another minor bowl win.  Under that scenario Apogee still has yet to sellout.  Is that what we want?  So unless RV is gone and they surprise me by hiring a coach that I don't have to explain to casual football fans who he is, I am out.  I will wear my green my pop up at a game once in awhile but the days of season tickets and letting UNT blow smoke my ass are done.  Look at our school compared to the other western division CUSA schools and it should make you mad that we don't dominate them.  And I stress dominate.  Why do you think SMU never wanted to schedule us or have us in their conference?  Here is a hint; it isn't because they thought they would be easy cheap profitable conference games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Chris Thomsen-  Former Abilene Christian HC.  Took ACU to 6 straight playoff appearances.  Now OL coach at Ariz.St.  Is from TX and has lots of HS coaching ties from his days at ACU.

cozyone has posted three times, and all three had to do with promoting Chris Tomsen for HC...I for one say, welcome to the board Chris Tomsen!

• Upvote 3

Can't believe I'm about to do this, but I'm surprised not one person on here has mentioned two names that have been doing a hell of a job recruiting Texas and have been blasting the Mean Green the past two years... UTSA's OC Kevin Brown and DC Neal Neathery.   That, however, is only if UNT decides to stay within the 300-400k/year mark.

I like hearing the name Major Applewhite and other higher profile assistants, but get real guys -- those guys will come in, and hopefully win, but if they pull off two straight winning seasons... here come the Power 5 teams with a multi-million $ contract UNT can't compete with and there goes our coach leaving UNT back at square one again.  UNT is in a really bad place because UNT doesn't need a winning season or two, they need a long-time program plan. 

I'm anRoadrunner for life, but pushing for success at UNT!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

This is hard.

We're on a budget
We want someone who can recruit
We want someone who will put together a great team
We want someone dedicated to the program for the long haul
We want someone who will not be swayed by Power 5 millions

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can't believe I'm about to do this, but I'm surprised not one person on here has mentioned two names that have been doing a hell of a job recruiting Texas and have been blasting the Mean Green the past two years... UTSA's OC Kevin Brown and DC Neal Neathery.   That, however, is only if UNT decides to stay within the 300-400k/year mark.

I like hearing the name Major Applewhite and other higher profile assistants, but get real guys -- those guys will come in, and hopefully win, but if they pull off two straight winning seasons... here come the Power 5 teams with a multi-million $ contract UNT can't compete with and there goes our coach leaving UNT back at square one again.  UNT is in a really bad place because UNT doesn't need a winning season or two, they need a long-time program plan. 

I'm anRoadrunner for life, but pushing for success at UNT!

So for whoever disliked my earlier post check out what a Roadrunner said?  If we at the 300 to 400k a year job I see hiring the guys he mentioned as lateral move.  Keeping Canales (if the team responds to him and they win at least 2 games) pay him 500k a year and let Canales bring in a hot DC at 350k a year.   No offense to anyone mentioned in this thread UNT can go big time but the apathy of the alumni is just too much for that to happen right now without offering a P5 Conference type contract to big name coach.  Just think about this year if you were a recruit?  UNT hires one these college coordinators or head coaches from the FCS level are you really going to select UNT and ignore being a laughing stock for most of your life?  This year's recruits and next years recruits were in 1st grade and below in 2002 (the last time we won a bowl game  before the HOD Bowl).   Yes a coach should be able to overcome that and at least out recruit the rest of CUSA West division outside of UTSA maybe.  But that has not happen and upstart UTSA (starting their program after our 2002 New Orleans bowl win) has lapped us.   So forgive my skepticism or bringing anyone that doesn't break the UNT mold.   I want a big time AD to bring in a big time coach and pay that coach at least 1 million dollars a year that scales up to incrementally towards 1.7 million dollars with every win over 6 in a season.  In the currently college football championship format getting a program like UNT could get into a playoff 8 years from now.  Marshall wasn't far from it a couple of season ago.  I say aim for the moon and if you miss you will hit the stars.  So after 8 years of strong season ticket support, I am on fence and on my way out.  i only have 2 tickets in a great location and most game days  I am not able to give that ticket away.  I am sick of that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is hard.

We're on a budget
We want someone who can recruit
We want someone who will put together a great team
We want someone dedicated to the program for the long haul
We want someone who will not be swayed by Power 5 millions

Yes we do.  We want coaches who come here...succeed and get hired away because of their success.

Rick

• Upvote 6

I just want a coach who is currently (not previously) a successfull HC at the FCS level and who has won a few playoff games in the last three seasons. Those should not break the bank and be available, and give us probably a better chance than any FBS assistant, I don't care which one. Other than that almost don't care. On the FBS assistant level I can see no one other than maybe Christobal, but even that is no home run to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hear really good things about the OC at Memphis. 

you know what, you may be joking but he is going to be HIGHLY sought after.  He's an OUTSTANDING recruiter and has put in a terrific offense there at Memphis.  Remember he didn't have Apogee stadium and near the assistant budget when he was here.  He would never come to UNT if RV was here though.

This should be a reality TV show.  Get someone like Cuban to help sponsor a coaching challenge to turn a last place FBS team into a ranked team in 4 years.  Let the show offer $12M over 4 years and let the show track the success. UNT could then up the salaries of the assistant coaches to get a complete set of coaches that can also recruit.  No one has ever done this and it has merit for both UNT and the potential coach.  With UNT's facilities and large student body there is no reason for UNT to remain a bottom feeder.

extremely funny but good idea...  I laughed when I read it but then though hey why not?..

Edited by Harry