Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Some good points in her from @Matt Turney and @BillySee58 as well as others. I agree that hopefully someone besides the current D makes the hire, but as for the discussion, if they are from a big school they need to be able to recruit to a school where it isn't as easy. We also need to money whip him and his staff to show we are serious about this now.

If they are from a P5 or if they are from nowhere, they need to be able to recruit, be sincere, and motivate everyone. This means they will be smart.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 1

One thing about young Briles, if he's given a crack at the HC position UNT, I have to wonder if the ole man would put him on to some, shall we say, on the fence Baylor recruits.  Pappy would want to see his son succeed.  Just sayin..........

Interesting thought.  Did anyone observe anything like this between the Bowdens?

Curious why people are so set on it being these type of guys. I agree those should be prime candidates if they are interested, but would they be? Look how bad a shape this team is in. Those guys are one step away from a P5 head coaching job as it is. They could be thinking if they come here they'll need 3-4 years to be good, and that there's no need to risk it when they could keep their cozy, easy-to-recruit-to job and have a P5 offer in that same 3-4 years anyways. 

the other problem with that list of guys is that they aren't going to accept a position until they know what P5 schools have been made available... they are going to wait until Dec/Jan before their current schools even let them field calls from anyone else

the other problem with that list of guys is that they aren't going to accept a position until they know what P5 schools have been made available... they are going to wait until Dec/Jan before their current schools even let them field calls from anyone else

Very true. If we wanted those guys it would be very late in the process. Probably too late for mid-term and juco guys. But that may not be that important. Depends how long we're willing to wait

The Portland St. Coach.  That team was in complete disarray last year.  Same situation we were in.  They have NO resources.  None.  Now they have TWO FBS wins this season, and that Wazzu team they beat just put the beat down on the Oregon Ducks.  If I'm UNT, I don't let him on the plane back to Portland.

Tell me where he's dining tonight and I'll go tackle his ass. Not a bad thought at all.

• Upvote 2

The Portland St. Coach.  That team was in complete disarray last year.  Same situation we were in.  They have NO resources.  None.  Now they have TWO FBS wins this season, and that Wazzu team they beat just put the beat down on the Oregon Ducks.  If I'm UNT, I don't let him on the plane back to Portland.

He's in the midst of a one year contract.  So what's wrong with those people in Portland...don't they know RV said "No coach worth his salt would coach for less than 5 years"?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not saying Applewhite should be a top choice, but I'm intrigued by the comments that he just runs Herman's offense.  Doesn't Spavital just run Sumlin's offense?  Doesn't Kendal just run Art's offense (and Montgomery before him)?  When Herman was at OSU, didn't many say he just ran Urban's offense?

I don't care if an OC runs the HC's offense.  As long as he understands the offense and calls the plays (like Applewhite does), he's showing some skills and qualifications.

The love for Kendal Briles fascinates me.  Not only has he never been a HC at any level (Art had been an HC in HS), but he's only been a coordinator for 5 games.  I have no doubt he understands the offense since he's played in it or coached it since middle school.  But there's more to being a HC than the Xs and Os.  Much of it is organizing, leading, and managing.  Does he have that skill set at this point in his career? When Montgomery left for Tulsa this year, he had several years of experience as OC and co-OC.  And Kendal has never coached under anyone but his dad.  Does he have enough broad experience to be a HC?  Most HCs have coached in several situations under multiple coaches.  Is coaching solely under his dad enough experience?

• Upvote 3

Derek Dooley? He is local now and was competitive at La Tech and Tennessee. He inherited a mess at Tennessee, but he did make a bowl game. Reading over his record,  though he does look very Mac like. 

I think the TAMU Commerce coach would be a good hire. Turned around a historical losing school, and knows the state well. He was previously a DC at West Texas A&M.

No.

June

You're crazy.

Anyone mentioning Spavital: LOL!   Spavital is primed for a P5 gig somewhere now.

If it's Rick hiring, we know it's going to be a former HC somewhere... at least, that's what he's said before.

I don't believe anything that comes out of AD these days.  He said something of the sort about our next basketball coach when JJ left, then turned around and hired someone with no head coaching experience.

Since most coaching contract restrict direct contact by athletic departments with coaches under contract, don't the recruiters/consultants allow communication to occur while still under contract?

Essentially, the consultants allow schools to get around the no contact clauses by conducting their search without requiring direct contact until later in the process when they know both sides are interested.  Essentially they give the candidates a virtual piece of paper with a 'check here if you like UNT'.  Once they have a short list, they can provide that info to the employer.

No one has any interest in Strong?  I don't think the tu ego will allow him time to turn the program around like he did in Louisville.  We know he can coach, we know he can build programs, and he is going to want to prove that he can do the job. 

What's the worst he can say, no?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

No one has any interest in Strong?  I don't think the tu ego will allow him time to turn the program around like he did in Louisville.  We know he can coach, we know he can build programs, and he is going to want to prove that he can do the job. 

What's the worst he can say, no?

I would take Strong. But I think he'd end up as a coordinator at a P5 program making more money.....