Texas A&M Paying UNT $1.25 Million for 2020 Game

Harry

Texas team, most likely not top tier SEC team and a significantly higher fee. 

Not really my preferred way of doing it, but slightly better then RVs been doing.

I would rather us play a bodybag game against USC than this game. The Aggies don't need anymore T-shirt fandom from our students and alumni, nor do the UNT alumni need yet another regional bodybag opponent's fans to laugh at us for years. This game, albeit for $1.25 million, does just that. Can't we just play Nebraska or Oregon and have the same effect?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Can we not become competitive by 2020?

Maybe we can, but the closest I've seen us finish in a bodybag game against an SEC or Big XII opponent on the road was at Georgia, where we lost by 24 points and had the best team we have fielded in at a dozen years, arguably in 35+ years.

Otherwise, I expect that we will get a huge check, go down to open the season, and get pounded. Anything above that, as history has taught me, would be just awesome gravy. Seeing 79-10, 65-0, 63-7, 56-3, etc.., .scores that I've seen OU, UT, LSU, and Bama lay on us.

• Upvote 6

Wisconsin in 2019.  aTm in 2020.  We're doing a good job of scheduling venues I want to cross off my NCAA stadium bucket list.  I wonder what it will take to get (the) Ohio State.  I'll need to see about saving up for a trip to the swamp next year?

Already got Oklahoma (via NT), OK State (via Nebraska), and Nebraska (via TCU).

I would rather us play a bodybag game against USC than this game. The Aggies don't need anymore T-shirt fandom from our students and alumni, nor do the UNT alumni need yet another regional bodybag opponent's fans to laugh at us for years. This game, albeit for $1.25 million, does just that. Can't we just play Nebraska or Oregon and have the same effect?

I enjoy playing UT and I'm sure I will enjoy playing A&M just as much. We will likely fall but at least some of our Aggie co-workers will recognize our team after.

• Upvote 4

The gap between the P5 and G5 has just widened too much---and it'll be even wider by 2020 once the "playoff" has had over half a decade to continue the separation.  I don't want to play Texas, OU or Texas A&M in their stadiums EVER AGAIN in non-conference regular season games.  We have nothing to gain other than the paycheck.  Go play Arizona, Utah, northern Big 10, far east coast, etc if we have to go collect a check.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

The gap between the P5 and G5 has just widened too much---and it'll be even wider by 2020 once the "playoff" has had over half a decade to continue the separation.  I don't want to play Texas, OU or Texas A&M in their stadiums EVER AGAIN in non-conference regular season games.  We have nothing to gain other than the paycheck.  Go play Arizona, Utah, northern Big 10, far east coast, etc if we have to go collect a check.  

I actually think the shelf life on these P5s buying G5s and FCS opponents is less than 10 years. You've already seen some P5 conferences abandon FCS opponents, while others have made the commitment to only play a certain number of G5 opponents in OOC play. The playoff system, especially once it gets expanded to 8, will give these teams reason o be able to schedule even harder in OOC play, if they wish, because a loss or two won't kill them like it could before.

But, to reiterate your point, games at Iowa and Wisconsin are great. Games at SEC/Big XII/ACC Southern schools are terrible.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's just me, but I don't view this as good news. I'm not opposed to playing A&M, I just want a return game from them.

Last season, the week after getting embarrassed at Apogee, SMU hosted A&M for another butt whipping. Why is it that SMU can sign A&M and get a return game and we can't?.

If we ever hope to be taken seriously by the college football community, we must move past these body bag/opportunity games, and become a program that can command return games. Can't we let the students vote on a $4 dollar athletic fee hike so we don't have to whore our program out anymore? MAC and RV have done a wonderful job of engaging students over the last few seasons. I think it is worth a shot.

• Upvote 6