North Texas aims to improve; ranked No. 109

Harry

Top returnees: QB Andrew McNulty, RB Antoinne Jimmerson, C Kaydon Kirby, WR Carlos Harris, WR Darvin Kidsy, TE Marcus Smith, DT Sir Calvin Wallace, DE Chad Polk, LB Fred Scott, LB Jamal Marshall, CB Kenny Buyers, K Trevor Moore, P Blake Macek

Strengths: Quarterback Andrew McNulty returns to lead the North Texas offense and tossed three touchdown strikes during the Mean Green spring game. He will get help from receiver Carlos Harris, whose 863 receiving yards last season leads Conference USA returning players.

Kicker Trevor Moore also has been steady, earning Freshman All-America honors after hitting 15-of-17 field-goal attempts and connecting on 37-of-37 extra-point attempts.

Eight players joined North Texas in the spring, with the hope they can help address some of the problem on both sides of the ball.

“There's a lot of competition in this room,” McCarney told his players after the spring game, according to the school's website. “We've got a chance to be a damned good football team.”

Read more: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-college-football-countdown-no-109-north-texas-2015-post.html

No. In this business that is unheard of and full body of work should be brought to the forefront at every opportunity when that body of work is failing. We can't just be content with what is and not, as alum, aspire for progression.

LSU is talking about firing Les Miles if production (national championship contention) is not seen this season. I just want to simply win more than we lose. I'm not asking for G5 AQ status, I'm asking for more W's than L's. And if every single fan can't demand at least that then why be a fan in the first place.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No. In this business that is unheard of and full body of work should be brought to the forefront at every opportunity when that body of work is failing. We can't just be content with what is and not, as alum, aspire for progression.

LSU is talking about firing Les Miles if production (national championship contention) is not seen this season. I just want to simply win more than we lose. I'm not asking for G5 AQ status, I'm asking for more W's than L's. And if every single fan can't demand at least that then why be a fan in the first place.

You can have expectations and evaluate the big picture. When it comes to moving forward and building positive momentum, however, you can't keep reminding your team about their failures. I think that is what Harry is saying.

You can have expectations and evaluate the big picture. When it comes to moving forward and building positive momentum, however, you can't keep reminding your team about their failures. I think that is what Harry is saying.

Exactly, the point. We can have a good season in 2015. Not a perfect team but better than last year. Now, if we end this season like the last then heads should roll.

OUCH!!!

Today at No. 109: North Texas

Coach: Dan McCarney (22-27, entering fifth season; 72-112 overall)

2014 record: 4-8 overall, 2-6 Conference USA; fifth in C-USA West

Dan McCarney was supposed to be our splash hire. (ala Larry Brown) We opened up the checkbook for him to provide us a respectable program. Entering his 5th season and we still can't find a decent quarterback.. A few 6A programs have more size along their defensive front than ours. (and many Juco's)

As Ronald Reagan might ask, "are we better off today than we were 4-5 years ago"? (New stadium, much larger budget for recruiting and coaches salaries and CUSA affiliation). Hell, the only thing that has gotten better around here is tailgating. (and then folks go home)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

(New stadium, much larger budget for recruiting and coaches salaries and CUSA affiliation). Hell, the only thing that has gotten better around here is tailgating. (and then folks go home)

You just named, then immediately discounted three things that are miles better than they were 4-5 years ago.

I promise I'm as frustrated as you are. I can barely tolerate hearing Mac speak anymore because I can predict exactly what he'll say every time (Hey, did you know he won a national championship in Florida?).

Mac averages 5.5 wins per year in his first four years. It should be better. I agree. But to say the only thing that's gotten better is the tailgating is flat out myopic. To wit --

2007-2010 Todd Dodge (6-37, 2 home wins if I remember correctly, 3 of the six wins over transitional Western Kentucky), Fouts Field, Sun Belt.

2011-2014 Dan McCarney (22-27, 16 home wins if I remember correctly, 2 wins over FCS), Apogee, CUSA

There is HUGE room for improvement, but to say that nothing has improved? I respectfully disagree, sir.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 3

OUCH!!!

Dan McCarney was supposed to be our splash hire. (ala Larry Brown) We opened up the checkbook for him to provide us a respectable program. Entering his 5th season and we still can't find a decent quarterback.. A few 6A programs have more size along their defensive front than ours. (and many Juco's)

As Ronald Reagan might ask, "are we better off today than we were 4-5 years ago"? (New stadium, much larger budget for recruiting and coaches salaries and CUSA affiliation). Hell, the only thing that has gotten better around here is tailgating. (and then folks go home)

Heart of Dallas Bowl win in front of a sizable Mean Green crowd was fairly noteworthy.

• Upvote 1

Noting CUSA affiliation and Apogee Stadium under Dan McCarney's accomplishments here at North Texas is irresponsibLe. As is noting Sun Belt and Fouts under Dodge.

Why? The discussion is overall state of the program, right? It doesn't fit your "I hate all things RV even the good stuff" agenda?

Call me crazy, but we need Todd Dodge back on this staff as our head recruiter.

Well, that's easy. You're crazy. There. Done and done.

OUCH!!!

According to USA Today, McCarney's 2014 salary ranked 84th out of the 128 FBS teams. If that's the extent to which we are able to "open up the checkbook for him," then we ought to be mighty grateful that there are now 42 bowl games.

I am going to take this ranking with a grain of salt because this guy is a from Florida and most people from Florida are idiots. Also he is wearing a bow tie and I never trust a man with a bow tie.

He is basing all of his rankings with Data/stats so he can take this ranking and shove it up his sunshine state

• Upvote 1

In the phrase G.5. A.Q. status, what does A.Q. mean and if it isn't obvious in the answer, why is it important? Finally, what is the H.C. contract status and did he really win a national championship? I never heard that before. If it is true, seems he would beat that horse till sundown in recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the phrase G.5. A.Q. status, what does A.Q. mean and if it isn't obvious in the answer, why is it important? Finally, what is the H.C. contract status and did he really win a national championship? I never heard that before. If it is true, seems he would beat that horse till sundown in recruiting.

He was a positions coach at Florida when they won the national championship.

Obviously, you aren't from around these parts. Coac Mac wears that National Champioship ring all the time and has yet to let anyone forget that he was on the Florida National Championship team coaching staff. I am more that sure that recruits hear that story. Most Mean Green fans can repeat the line word for word without hesitation!