MGB: Breaking news -- player decommits from UNT

Brett Vito

Damn, I was thinking this would be a skill player who didn't want to play in the WIng T offense of 1970...but an OLineman? That guy could get playing time tomorrow here if he's any good.

I still think these kids and their families and coaches don't think anything of UNT Football. All the losing, the apathy, and the closeness to the home all combine to put us in a tough spot. Frankly, I thought Coach Mac would be the one to eventually fix this, but it hasn't so far.

These sour grape comments anytime a kid decommits are pointless. I didn't think he was one of our best commits, but still. He's got a lot of bad weight he could lose, so he could potentially be a lot better athletically. Either way, it's besides the point. Morris is completely kicking our butt. We have a bigger problem than losing a kid who may or may not work out as a D1 football player.

• Upvote 2

Well then why did we offer such a slow player ?

While our record this year is not what we expected, this recruit wants to go to a school that went 0-12. Southern Meth could have not suited up and gone 0-12.

GO MEAN GREEN

Why have we offered half the players under Mac that has t panned out? There's quite a list of those you know?

I was pissed when we did offer him. Hopefully he got some kind of cold message from us that told him he may not play much here? This kid barely had two offers. Us and supposedly UTEP, though I never saw it.

It's poor taste to trash a decommit, and I never do. But this one isn't worth everyone cutting their throats over.

Go back and watch his tapes and you'll see.

Rick

While our record this year is not what we expected, this recruit wants to go to a school that went 0-12. Southern Meth could have not suited up and gone 0-12.

GO MEAN GREEN

0-12 and lost to us when we played duck chucking Greer. All they have is a new coach and that's what it took? Boy, I have so much to say to our recruiters and have lost faith in the mentality of some football players...

GO MEAN GREEN

My question exactly. Why indeed. But then, about half way through watching spring practice I wondered the same thing about Greer.,....and said as much in my posts.

Assessment skills guys! It's even more important when you don't get to pick the easy fruit from a tree like the UT's and A$M's of the world. La Tech seems to be able to do it, UAB did it, and so did UTSA. To quote someone at the athletic department.......WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS?

There is a reason there aren't 6' 10" offensive lineman in the NFL and at the best college programs. They get blown off the line by the shorter d-lineman because no matter how hard they try they can never get low enough. If the recent high school coach Morris and his high school coach Mathis have a strategy of trying to focus on our recruits to bring to their winless program then that copycat mentality may actually benefit us. It feels like SMU has decided to take their own Dodge-like risk because Morris has had a few good years as an assistant in college. The reality is he has a very short track record at the college level and was substantially overpaid at Clemson and is now an unproven and overpaid head coach at SMU. I'm sure they think he is the next Art Briles. And if he is, he'll be gone in a few years and they'll be searching again. The fact they aren't showing any originality in recruiting says a lot about their collective inexperience at the college level. It also shows our coaches know what they are doing and actually have skins on the wall at the college level. SMU is trying to follow our lead. It's a compliment, but it also shows the SMU staff may be in over their heads. Dodge made a critical mistake hiring his high school coaching buddies. Morris is behaving similarly with the Mathis hire. They will get some good recruits because of their connections, but at the end of the day, our coaching staff is way more experienced. RV wouldn't have hired Morris because it would be like Dodge 2.0. If I'm wrong and he is great there, then he won't be there long anyway. I'm surprised they didn't try for a more proven college coach. But that's fine by me...just more uncertainty for the ponies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is a reason there aren't 6' 10" offensive lineman in the NFL and at the best college programs. They get blown off the line by the shorter d-lineman because no matter how hard they try they can never get low enough. If the recent high school coach Morris and his high school coach Mathis have a strategy of trying to focus on our recruits to bring to their winless program then that copycat mentality may actually benefit us. It feels like SMU has decided to take their own Dodge-like risk because Morris has had a few good years as an assistant in college. The reality is he has a very short track record at the college level and was substantially overpaid at Clemson and is now an unproven and overpaid head coach at SMU. I'm sure they think he is the next Art Briles. And if he is, he'll be gone in a few years and they'll be searching again. The fact they aren't showing any originality in recruiting says a lot about their collective inexperience at the college level. It also shows our coaches know what they are doing and actually have skins on the wall at the college level. SMU is trying to follow our lead. It's a compliment, but it also shows the SMU staff may be in over their heads. Dodge made a critical mistake hiring his high school coaching buddies. Morris is behaving similarly with the Mathis hire. They will get some good recruits because of their connections, but at the end of the day, our coaching staff is way more experienced. RV wouldn't have hired Morris because it would be like Dodge 2.0. If I'm wrong and he is great there, then he won't be there long anyway. I'm surprised they didn't try for a more proven college coach. But that's fine by me...just more uncertainty for the ponies.

This....with the addition that they DID try to hire a proven coach. Mack Brown. My guess is that they went after more than just him....but he's the name we heard all fall with the $$ going up and up and up. Last I heard was 6 years at $36 million. That's crazy money. For whatever reason, it clearly didn't work out.

This hire by SMU reminds me a LOT of the Dodge hire for us. Good luck to them---ha! I can't say that with a straight face. I hope they lose every game they play. Always have. Always will. :)

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1