We were the Death Knell: June Jones resigns.

I would be concerned as to who they hire to replace him...

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 2m

#SMU is a VERY attractive job. Good resources. Great city..Will have many top candidates. Plus lots of excellent coaches have TX roots.

Even when they were in their most successful stint of the JJ era, fan support was never very good.

• Upvote 1

#SMU is a VERY attractive job. Good resources. Great city..Will have many top candidates. Plus lots of excellent coaches have TX roots.

No one wants to go where there is no fans ( coaches or players)... and that is even when they win....... Would not surprise me to learn ... the end of SMU football is coming... they will not consider dropping back and they will get killed this year and in an expensive travel conference with no fans attending. It won't be this year... but I can smell it coming.... They (and Rice and TCU somewhat) were highly criticized when the SWC conf came apart for providing few fans to games even then.... Even Arkansas mentioned it when they left a year or two earlier.... they were filling those stadiums ... not the locals.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I'm concerned. I kind of wish it hadn't happened, just like I wish Mack had still been the UT coach when we played them. I'd like to have 10 years of similar scores to this one to get on our way to evening things out.

It’s probably one of the few programs that could get McCarney. Not elite enough for most P5 schools and he would have to move which at his age has to be a deterrent to any future job. SMU could double his salary and he does not have to move. He would certainly consider it though I do doubt that will happen.

Hmmm, seems like this is more likely bad news from a UNT perspective Edited by PlanoGreen

It’s probably one of the few programs that could get McCarney. Not elite enough for most P5 schools and he would have to move which at his age has to be a deterrent to any future job. SMU could double his salary and he does not have to move. He would certainly consider it though I do doubt that will happen.

I don't see McCarney leaving UNT, and certainly not for an SMU job. If he did leave for SMU, would he give up any state retirement or pension? Has he been a state employee long enough?

1) I am sure that Mac has made friends in Denton. Going to Dallas would be a knife in the back.

2) Coach Mac thinks OUR attendance is subpar. While our alumni support (attendance) is about equal to SMU, we have far more students.

Don't see it happening.