UTSA Zona Game Thread

StealthEagle84

I was a little surprised but I was really pulling for UTSA tonight. I usually want any of NT opponents to win unless they are playing NT, but even more than that I like to see the mighty P5 fall.

UTSA is obviously away ahead of NT at this point, but that doesn't mean they will be at the end of the year. Of course NT is going to have to develop at least an average CUSA qb.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

P5 schools pull for the other teams in their conference. They know if they take losses to non P5 schools it makes their conference look weak. They also understand how the polls look at the strength of their conference when it ranks the teams. Its hard to get a high ranking if you play in a weak conference because they discount the wins.

The Big East lost too many games to other conferences which led to their downfall.

The Mountain West became a little too good and the P5's gobbled up some teams and left them a weakened conference.

UNT needs the other CUSA schools to win as many nonconference games as possible.

You want to be ranked and taken seriously? Then win in a serious conference. I'm pulling for every team in CUSA when they are not playing us.

If CUSA becomes a threat to P5s, they will take a couple of teams and leave the conference weaker.

Edited by casual fan

P5 schools pull for the other teams in their conference. They know if they take losses to non P5 schools it makes their conference look weak. They also understand how the polls look at the strength of their conference when it ranks the teams. Its hard to get a high ranking if you play in a weak conference because they discount the wins.

The Big East lost too many games to other conferences which led to their downfall.

The Mountain West became a little too good and the P5's gobbled up some teams and left them a weakened conference.

UNT needs the other CUSA schools to win as many nonconference games as possible.

You want to be ranked and taken seriously? Then win in a serious conference. I'm pulling for every team in CUSA when they are not playing us.

If CUSA becomes a threat to P5s, they will take a couple of teams and leave the conference weaker.

utsa is going after a lot of the same recruits as us and are winning a good amount of those battles. If we don't show the same sort of promise that they are this year, then this hurts us directly and hurts us now. I want everyone else in the conference to do well for the conference sake, but for right now not utsa. The difference in cusa and the p5 is they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs right now and cusa's chance is very slim. So, give me the results that make our team better now and allow us to capitalize on last year and hopefully this year.

Different football times. Different football state.

Different.

Pretty much the same except for the word Florida. I didn't want either UTSA or Texas State moving up toFBS ball, not the because of competition but because they had yet to have success at the FCS level.

But that ship sailed, they are FBS schools now. UTSA is in our conference and people measure every team in the conference so wins by one help the others. That is why the SEC is considered so good even with Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, etc.

"When the facts of the situation change, I change my opinion," wrote Keynes. It one thing he wrote I that I agree with.

Edited by VideoEagle

I'm not going to say start a hysterical series comments about UTSA passing us by. But... they've managed to raise their profile to at least equal (if not better) a lot of other programs that have been around for a long, long while (NT and Texas State, come to mind). In fact, 69% of students accepted to both UTSA and Texas State choose to attend UTSA over the River College of San Marcos, every year. It's a school and program on the rise, like it or not.

Oh and they have guys who can throw the football. It was weird to watch the successful execution of a forward pass, as I've not seen it in some time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This, guys. Next year they will be abysmally bad. They lose nearly every one of their starters and a lot of their depth. They will most likely be the punching bag of the West next year.

If they win 9-10 games this year, play for the C-USA championship and go to a bowl game, that's not going to matter all that much. They'll keep winning recruiting battles. And then they'll be back.

If they win 9-10 games this year, play for the C-USA championship and go to a bowl game, that's not going to matter all that much. They'll keep winning recruiting battles. And then they'll be back.

Eh, I think they'll lose sufficient steam for it to be significant. Kids will be flipping offers left and right when they see the school that recruited them go 1-11.

Different football times. Different football state.

Different.

That's extremely weak, UNT90.

Its the same exact model that USF laid out that UTSA is following to a tee. Tampa and San Antonio didn't have a college team to support as their own. Once they started their program, they got their local media behind them from day one. Plus, they had their alumni and students involved, since there has not been any apathy yet to set in.

BTW, I hate it too. But you cannot fault UTSA for doing what we couldn't or wouldn't do. Nor can you fault CUSA for looking at the potential of having their market in the league. Trust me on this, the AAC and the MWC are watching closely. When either of those leagues scoop them up, it won't kill our league, just because Texas State is there to take their place, but it would deifintely be another team in the state that will be higher than us on the conference ladder. SMU and UH fans are already open to getting them into their league, just for another Texas school to play in a growing market.

They are a growing G5 program that is gonna be here for a while.

• Upvote 3

That's extremely weak, UNT90.

Its the same exact model that USF laid out that UTSA is following to a tee. Tampa and San Antonio didn't have a college team to support as their own. Once they started their program, they got their local media behind them from day one. Plus, they had their alumni and students involved, since there has not been any apathy yet to set in.

BTW, I hate it too. But you cannot fault UTSA for doing what we couldn't or wouldn't do. Nor can you fault CUSA for looking at the potential of having their market in the league. Trust me on this, the AAC and the MWC are watching closely. When either of those leagues scoop them up, it won't kill our league, just because Texas State is there to take their place, but it would deifintely be another team in the state that will be higher than us on the conference ladder. SMU and UH fans are already open to getting them into their league, just for another Texas school to play in a growing market.

1999 is akin to the dark ages of college football. No one knew (although we should have) the massive shift in competition that the devil's spawn BCS would cause, at least not the college football fan.

USF doesn't recruit against us, doesn't play in our conference, and doesn't play in our state.

If you can't see those differences, I can't help you.

If craphole gets "scooped up", it will be because of their all holy TV market, the only thing that matters in college sports anymore.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

This all dead-on.

The other thing going for them is the same thing we'll have in our corner whenever our alleged baseball team starts: they have no tradition. That sounds like a negative, but it's an asset when you don't have to shake decades of "losing" tradition. They were able to start up and become what they wanted to become. I think they're something like 20-16. By that definition, it's a winning program and it has improved (at least in conference play) every year.

We can keep pretending like it isn't happening. But that's not going to stop it from happening.

• Upvote 1

Holy Shit!

Something's not right around here!

Rick

There is a cost with paying teams like Zona to come into your house for a home game. Take a look at last year's CUSA standings for all sports. The only other sport where UTSA didn't finish in the bottom half was Women's Volleyball. UTSA doesn't appear to put as much emphasis on non-revenue sports like North Texas does. We could do the same thing here but at the same time we might not have the winning tradition like we do with Women's Soccer (no losing seasons in the history of the program).

Softball

NT - 5th (31-22)

UTSA - 9th (24-30)

Women's Soccer - West Division

NT - 2nd (14-7-1)

UTSA - 6th (5-12-2)

Volleyball

NT - 5th (17-15)

UTSA - 1st (24-8)