UTSA Zona Game Thread

StealthEagle84

There is a cost with paying teams like Zona to come into your house for a home game. Take a look at last year's CUSA standings for all sports. The only other sport where UTSA didn't finish in the bottom half was Women's Volleyball. UTSA doesn't appear to put as much emphasis on non-revenue sports like North Texas does. We could do the same thing here but at the same time we might not have the winning tradition like we do with Women's Soccer (no losing seasons in the history of the program).

Softball

NT - 5th (31-22)

UTSA - 9th (24-30)

Women's Soccer - West Division

NT - 2nd (14-7-1)

UTSA - 6th (5-12-2)

Volleyball

NT - 5th (17-15)

UTSA - 1st (24-8)

Uh... No.

http://m.conferenceusa.com/m/sports/c-track/spec-rel/051814aac.html

But UTSA out scheduling us , out playing us, our hiring us and out promoting and marketing us has nothing to do with their Men's Track Championsjip this year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

There is a cost with paying teams like Zona to come into your house for a home game. Take a look at last year's CUSA standings for all sports. The only other sport where UTSA didn't finish in the bottom half was Women's Volleyball. UTSA doesn't appear to put as much emphasis on non-revenue sports like North Texas does. We could do the same thing here but at the same time we might not have the winning tradition like we do with Women's Soccer (no losing seasons in the history of the program).

Softball

NT - 5th (31-22)

UTSA - 9th (24-30)

Women's Soccer - West Division

NT - 2nd (14-7-1)

UTSA - 6th (5-12-2)

Volleyball

NT - 5th (17-15)

UTSA - 1st (24-8)

why should they?

UTSA focused on the right sport to gain the most attention for their school...ie Boise State.

I commend them on their efforts...there are lessons to be learned from the likes of Boise State, UTSA, USF, UCF....start winning in football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Uh... No.

http://m.conferenceusa.com/m/sports/c-track/spec-rel/051814aac.html

But UTSA out scheduling us , out playing us, our hiring us and out promoting and marketing us us has nothing to do with their Men's Track Championsjip this year.

Rick

I couldn't find T&F on the CUSA website (for whatever reason they don't put it on the sports championship page) but we are still outperforming UTSA in a majority of sports. I also believe most of our athletic facilities are worlds better than UTSA's.

If we were to have dropped UT this year and pay Zona to come play us (assuming we pay the same amount as UTSA did) the athletic department would see a net loss of 1.1 million in the athletic budget.

I don't doubt we could do better at scheduling but it'll cost us in other sports if we discontinue scheduling games like UT unless we can consistently average north of 25,000 a game and we haven't been able to manage that. Once we start doing that then we can opine a lot more about how we play a lame home OOC schedule.

the key thing I got from this game was they have done a GREAT job of FEEDING their fanbase and building interest among the casual fans they are trying to convert to season ticket holders...

They did not beat Arizona but they gave them one hell of a scare. Conversely we came out and laid a huge egg on national TV -- worst offensive performance in history?? I don't know that for a fact but it has to be up there. It's these opportunities that we seem to fall short on historically.

We clearly have more resources than UTSA does -- even their most ardent of fans would have to admit this. The difference is they are getting the most out of their resources! They had a great plan when moving to I-A football. They do a great job marketing. They found a great coach who knows how to win and is bargain basement priced... I tip my hat to them for what they have accomplished in such a short time.

I just hope we can pull off a win at home against SMU -- it would go a long way to erase that debacle last weekend. I also hope that UT beats the snot out of BYU but I have my doubts about that.

why should they?

UTSA focused on the right sport to gain the most attention for their school...ie Boise State.

I commend them on their efforts...there are lessons to be learned from the likes of Boise State, UTSA, USF, UCF....start winning in football.

Boise is good in other sports as well. They've won more conference tournament championships, have more NCAA bids, and have been the regular season champs in Men's basketball more than North Texas and a lot of that was before they were good in Football. They don't pour all their resources into one sport.

I doubt FB and MBB are the only sports they have had success and I bet they had that success before they were known for being good in FB.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the key thing I got from this game was they have done a GREAT job of FEEDING their fanbase and building interest among the casual fans they are trying to convert to season ticket holders...

They did not beat Arizona but they gave them one hell of a scare. Conversely we came out and laid a huge egg on national TV -- worst offensive performance in history?? I don't know that for a fact but it has to be up there. It's these opportunities that we seem to fall short on historically.

We clearly have more resources than UTSA does -- even their most ardent of fans would have to admit this. The difference is they are getting the most out of their resources! They had a great plan when moving to I-A football. They do a great job marketing. They found a great coach who knows how to win and is bargain basement priced... I tip my hat to them for what they have accomplished in such a short time.

I just hope we can pull off a win at home against SMU -- it would go a long way to erase that debacle last weekend. I also hope that UT beats the snot out of BYU but I have my doubts about that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/KFC_logo.svg

Boise is good in other sports as well. They've won more conference tournament championships, have more NCAA bids, and have been the regular season champs in Men's basketball more than North Texas and a lot of that was before they were good in Football. They don't pour all their resources into one sport.

I doubt FB and MBB are the only sports they have had success and I bet they had that success before they were known for being good in FB.

like I said....start winning in football to gain national attention

jus saying...we're not on here this morning all fired up about UTSA's other sports....or Boise States...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The difference between UNT and UTSA these past three seasons is basically QB play. They had QB's who could go out and win games. We didn't. That's pretty much it.

Yes, their QB threw away the game last night with a dumb-ass throw, but the only reason they were even in that position was because he eluding defenders in the pocket (pocket awareness!) and made a few key throws throughout the game.

I hope they do win out, following an inevitable loss against OSU. And I hope we kick the s*** out of them in SA.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3

like I said....start winning in football to gain national attention

jus saying...we're not on here this morning all fired up about UTSA's other sports....or Boise States...

There are other sports out there and people care to make the effort to attend those games. Lets take Volleyball at the University of Nebraska. They sold out their arena for the Alumni game last year. 8,243 people showed up for a game that means nothing to the season. You don't need to rest your laurels on the success of one sport to be nationally known.

Look, I get it. We live in Texas where Football is second only to Christianity as an organized religion therefore we see football as the only sport that matters. Trust me, it is perfectly fine to be good at other sports besides just football.

Please try to branch out from what you are fed by ESPN and Fox Sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are other sports out there and people care to make the effort to attend those games. Lets take Volleyball at the University of Nebraska. They sold out their arena for the Alumni game last year. 8,243 people showed up for a game that means nothing to the season. You don't need to rest your laurels on the success of one sport to be nationally known.

A) There's nothing to do in Lincoln.

2) You're comparing us to one of the best fanbases with the more tradition than most of college sports.

C) If UNT wants to lead the state in a non-revenue sport that's going to do nothing but soak up dollars, they should add men's soccer and become THE team in the state.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A) There's nothing to do in Lincoln.

2) You're comparing us to one of the best fanbases with the more tradition than most of college sports.

C) If UNT wants to lead the state in a non-revenue sport that's going to do nothing but soak up dollars, they should add men's soccer and become THE team in the state.

Just trying to prove that you can be nationally known for football AND be good at other non-revenue sports. P5 schools do all the time. There are even G5 schools out there that do it if you look hard enough. There's no need to sacrifice our non-revenue sports just so we can host a mid-level P5 school for a home football game.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

Just trying to prove that you can be nationally known for football AND be good at other non-revenue sports. P5 schools do all the time. There are even G5 schools out there that do it if you look hard enough. There's no need to sacrifice our non-revenue sports just so we can host a mid-level P5 school for a home football game.

...are you done? really...girls volleyball?

big focus needs to be on "football"...if the football improves...then the school and it's "other" sports improve...yes even your beloved volleyball...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, I get it. We live in Texas where Football is second only to Christianity as an organized religion therefore we see football as the only sport that matters. Trust me, it is perfectly fine to be good at other sports besides just football.

Please try to branch out from what you are fed by ESPN and Fox Sports.

Kind of like a SCRIMMAGE OR PRACTICE GAME, huh? But why would anyone care to watch one of those?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We also found a great coach at bargain basement price in McCarney. UT beating BYU...possible on paper before...but, with starting QB and C injured and two starting OLs kicked off the team this week, it doesn't look good for them. It will be on UT's defense to win this one for them.

If we lose to SMU, I'll lose a lot of hope. A lot of hope. They are very bad and have many new players in key positions.

I look at last night's UTSA-Arizona tilt and everyone talks about Coker and his upperclassmen after four years. Well, McCarney has been here four years now as well. I never underestimated Coker like some here did. But, this far into it, there shouldn't be an excuse for us not to be as good or better than SMU and UTSA. None.

I expect June Jones teams to ebb and flow because he's a spread sell-out who doesn't pay enough mind to defense. He's been on The Hill almost twice as long as McCarney has been here, and he's slipping backwards. We can't give them a win here. We just can't.

BTW,... Troy hosts Duke tomorrow, and Middle hosts BYU Nov 1. Two years ago BYU played at lowly New Mexico State. BYU had been in the midst of needing to desperately fill their future schedule after moving to Independance status, and like NMSU, I guess Middle smartly took advantage of the opportunity and got on the phone with them?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BTW,... Troy hosts Duke tomorrow, and Middle hosts BYU Nov 1. Two years ago BYU played at lowly New Mexico State. BYU had been in the midst of needing to desperately fill their future schedule after moving to Independance status, and like NMSU, I guess Middle smartly took advantage of the opportunity and got on the phone with them?

Rick

"If we haven't scheduled you, it's just because you haven't called us!"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, when BYU went Indy, they needed games. NMSU as well, and Idaho.

We got Idaho.

I think its because we "get" Idaho...they are cheap to buy a game from, not that powerhouse NMSU would cost a ton more, either.

Texas Southern. Idaho, Ball State, SMU, NIcholls State, and Army--that is just a who's who of college football in 2014, isn't it? Thank God we built Apogee to play these guys in OOC because there is absolutely no way Fouts could have handled these guys as opponents...oh wait...never mind.

• Upvote 1

You guys...

...you have to stop bitching about SMU and Army. You people were on here practically demanding that we get a series up with SMU, and what a great historic trip you had to West Point and would love to make it a regular thing. Okay?

And, so on SMU and Army, Rick gave the masses what the wanted.

You can bitch and complain about the rest. I won't because I've already hewed to building it like Snyder at K-State - more OOC winnable home games, less going out on the road to get smoked by traditional powers.

more OOC winnable home games, less going out on the road to get smoked by traditional powers.

Ya, except your hero has said we WILL keep going out on the road to get smoked by traditional powers.

And in the mean time, you get one (maybe, because it still hasn't been scheduled) OOC home game next year.

So, he is basically not keeping to your plan.

...are you done? really...girls volleyball?

big focus needs to be on "football"...if the football improves...then the school and it's "other" sports improve...yes even your beloved volleyball...

I'm sure you'd be a popular guy with our soccer team if that's your opinion regarding our "other" sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1